It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French ex-President Jacques Chirac guilty of corruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
It seems his corrupt ways have finally caught up with him and of course passed him by leaving barely a ripple

www.bbc.co.uk...

A French court has given former President Jacques Chirac a two-year suspended prison sentence for diverting public funds and abusing public trust.

Mr Chirac, 79, was not in court to hear the verdict because of ill-health but denied wrongdoing.

this guy made up 20 jobs and gave them to his cronies, who were then paid out of public funds whilst obviously never having to do a days work, this is so corrupt it is baffling, yet doing this all he gets is a 2 year suspended sentence, not one solitary day in jail, if we had done that we would of got 5 - 10 years, but then i guess in the eyes of the elite his only crime was getting caught.

He should of been given the maximum term allowable to show others that corruption in public office is unacceptable but no, they cant do that to one of their own...

The case was divided into two parts: the first count involved embezzlement and breach of trust in relation to 21 bogus jobs; the second related to a charge of illegal conflict of interest concerning seven jobs.

He was found guilty of both.

The former president, who had legal immunity during his time as head of state, faced a potential 10 years in prison and a fine of 150,000 euros for the employment of more than 20 bogus officials.

Just go to show there are different rules for different people, and they wonder why we are sick of the lot of them

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The ex French president is convicted of corruption, I cant believe no one is interested in this

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

They are all at it, suspended sentence!. What would happen if you or i were to commit a crime of the same magnitude? i can gaurantee that you would not get a 2 year suspended term, disgusting one rule for them, 1 for us.

We need a clear out of the whole system.

edit on 15-12-2011 by brommas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

We are interested, but it seems the court system is not.
Suspended sentance, what a joke.
This is where it becomes justified for the People to take the law into their own hands, as the law will not.
99% of the People would have gotten a harder sentence and expected to serve it full.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Have to agree, while I am no fan of mob rule or mentality, I think the people need to just uphold their own laws that are currently in place, to arrest these people and march them to the jail and throw them inside, and to take the corrupt judges along at the same time.

Until we as the people say enough is enough in a strong enough way to ensure that these people listen, nothing will ever change, not by the use of violence, but by the force of will, if a million people turn up at a parliament or other governmental building and arrest the corrupt inside what are they going to do about it? If the police try to stop the people, don't fight them, arrest them too, march them along to the prison also.

Not with violence or hate, just with strength on numbers and a determined will, if we use violence we sink to their low filthy level

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

It's all about money and some rich guy trying to get richer and getting caught, then getting away with it mostly.
This isn't news, it's the status quo. Interest waned decades ago.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

When two opposing factions meet, violence is inevitable.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

And people ae only figuring this out now?

Did'nt anyone at all pay attention to Chirac's cozy friendship with Suddam Hussein and the sudden paper shredding of Chirac's trade links with Iraq in regards to certain weapons used upon the Kurdish and Iranian people......

Chirac made George Bush Jnr appear like a choir boy

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What's surprising is that the case was taken up at all. The French are much more discreet than Americans. Sarko seems to be intent on muddying the waters on his way out.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

This is the whole point really, the sentence is pitiful of course, but this is the first major western leader to be brought to book for his corruption, Berlusconi may be next who knows. it shows they can be beaten in court, they can be prosecuted, the elite can still be got at. We just need to ensure the judges are not corrupt as sadly it seems this one was

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I have to hand it to Shi Shi.

At least he didn't let his sluggo friends actually do the jobs.

Here in Canada not only would you be out of pocket for a cretin's wages but you'd have to spend even more time and money trying to undo what the nitwit did in his/her plum job.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Berlusconi may be next who knows.

That would be nice, but I won't hold my breath. The higher on the political food chain, the harder it is to find people willing to prosecute. When it happens, it's usually because a "bigger dog" wants to rub salt in a rival's wounds. For example, I suspect that the only reason Rod Blagojevic, former governor of the state of Illinois, is going to do time is because Rahm Emmanuel decided he was an embarrassment and needed to be "put down."

top topics

join