It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog Vs. Opossum, what should I expect? Besides Rabies.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well, to top off my list of horrors to an insane household, the stress and my life. Well, now, I have to worry about my dog. He got into a scuffle with an opossum last night, he didn't kill him and I didn't see any bites on him. Because there was no blood drawn from him or the opossum. I looked on the opossum skin and I didn't see any blood on him or the dog, so, I think they just wrestled each other; but, my dog, has had it's rabies shot, so I'm curious, should I still wonder if he has rabies or not?

Thanks.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If it were my dog I wouldnt worry. I had a dog that was a champion possum and raccon fighter and did battle with more than I could count in her life time. Unless the possum was not acting right E.G. being aggressive and initiating the battle and not trying to get away or resorting to the last ditch defense of a possum, faining death "playing possum" I wouldnt be to concerned. Keep in mind your dog was doing what dogs do, and probably loving every bit of it. It's in a dogs nature.

One final thought. I've been told, but dont know if this is true that possums have a lower body temperature and/or unique metabolism that make it less probable that they will contract rabies than let's say a raccon or another dog. I for one have seem a couple of rabid raccons but never a rabid possum and i've seen plenty of both creatures.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
The opossum was alive and when I went to check on him, he was playing dead, his mouth was moving. So, I just let him be. So, I checked on it an hour later and the opossum left. Just worried with the saliva. Because, I know rabies is spread through saliva.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about him, especially if he doesn't have any bite marks. Our female boxer used to love to "Bounce" on opossums and somehow never got bit.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Leash your dog and you won't have to worry about this again. =]

Hope all is well.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Check it out Opossums cant get rabies ...
Opossum
edit on 15-12-2011 by KingArthur because: add a link

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Hope all is well.

I have an acre of yard all fenced in, Why should I leash my dog? He stays in his yard and never barks, goes to the bathroom, and comes back in. He's never out there for more 20 minutes. lol The opossum trespassed and the dog barked and pinned him down. "GOOD BOY" I gave him a hotdog to lure him away and he came right in with no problems, and went out there to see what he was scuffling with. And that's when I saw the opossum. I have an awesome dog. He hates trespassers.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Hope all is well.

It might have happened in her yard.
I had a dog years ago, in the city, in a completely fenced in back yard, and was woken up to a dog - raccoon fight in the middle of the night. Luckily, neither was hurt. Just a big scuffle.

Now, in the country, I still have a fenced area for my current dogs ( so they don't chase the deer or get eaten by coyotes), but smaller animals can still get into the area. I've chased out the skunk that lives on the property, back into his/her forested area. I also have to worry about the smaller beavers.

That's why rabies shots need to be kept up to date.
Your dog is probably going to be fine, as long as the rabies vaccine is up to date. Keep checking for scratches that might get infected.

new topics

top topics

join