It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British town grows all of its own vegetables FREE, witnesses improved civic life and reduced crime a

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That is really neat to see.. errr read!! I couldn't imagine not having my garden, we got so much out of it last year. I know around here people will plant things in public places. For example there is a Chinese restaurant not too far from me, near a water ditch area. Along the banks of that the owners of the Chinese restaurant grow vegetables through the summer and then use that in their restaurant!

There are so many unused, ugly places around town that could be put to better use. I think the city ought to let people garden those spaces. Or we could all do Guerrilla gardening!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I love it. I wish ever one did this.
the feeling of it! free GOOD food any time.
I would gladly help with it. I bet lots would.

we do have alotments in England.
in the citys. but we need more.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Fantastic thread angelchemuel, I have been trying to set up a community garden project here in our little town too.
Early stages yet, but we have options of being gifted with Council public land and grants to get it started.
I think every available space should be used for community food, one of the first things to suffer when money is tight is the quality of peoples food. People can afford Maccas but not good quality fruit and vegies, which is totally back the front imo.
Good job

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
How in the hell did growing food for oneself, and your community, become fringe activity?

How in the hell did growing ones' own food become, regulated, mandated, and smirked at?

GROW YOUR OWN!! Learn, digest, and live by the earth, from the earth, for the earth.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Our city is going this route .Albeit in a slow way . Transition towns are the answer and we are growing organic and marketing. I really hope it takes hold in every community.
Peace!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You can grow your own damn food. Jeez people. The only problem with growing your own food is when you go to SELL IT. That is when you need a permit and FDA approval. Otherwise NO ONE can say otherwise. Unless your growing illegal plants. DUH.
edit on 15-12-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I think any community that does this will find the vegetables the least of the benefit that they derive. Sure there will be bumps in the road occasionally, but the overall benefit to the all round mental health of the community will be incredible. Growing and nurturing a garden is a good first step to growing and nurturing a neighborhood in every way.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Allright Todmorden,!(with a name like that its amazing there is anyone still left alive there)
back in the late seventies I lived in Eastwood on the road between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge,
the whole area always struck me as a special place with some very special poeple,I remember going on moonlight walks, on the wee little mushrooms like,through some of the local woods,where you might run into the odd witch or an old factory site that had long ago been abandoned and retaken by the forest,reminiscent of some temple ruins in the jungles of the yucatan and almost as old. it was wonderful to see nature healing the wounds that early industrial man had inflicted.
Quite a magical place,definetly worth a visit...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This reminds me of the many orange trees near the California state capitol....except it is illegal to pick them and the oranges rot on the ground each year.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Currently here in New Zealand the govt is trying to make a law that bans anyone growing there own food..... =[

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SelfSustainedLoner
You can grow your own damn food. Jeez people. The only problem with growing your own food is when you go to SELL IT. That is when you need a permit and FDA approval. Otherwise NO ONE can say otherwise. Unless your growing illegal plants. DUH.
edit on 15-12-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

If I had a place to garden and grow a large amount of food, i'd give it away free just so others could have decent food. Give me a place, bring me some seeds, I'll do the gardening and all you have to do is show up when it's ready to harvest to pick it up! I wonder if there is a law against that too! LOL

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
People in my town have actually been able to remove shrubs on the right of way and plant small gardens. Some even plant their entire front yards. I'm trying to convince my wife to cut down the trees in the front yard so we can get more sun.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is terrific and probably the most amazing story/news i have heard for quite some time it is so great that the local council/city has allows this to happen i wish I lived in a place like that you know the bible says that all you need to do in life is find food and shelter and thats it i could just see it now if there were gardens throughout public it would mean no working on public holidays there would be far less need for polution i believe that there would be little if any crime more people would be concentrating on keeping their town clean and possibly able to assist in policing it i think this is what every one should be doing its a fab idea. ty Hatchetman.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

Added benefit I didn't realize lol Why does everything have to revolve around money? This is the same thinking that leads to countries hoarding food and resources while others starve. The world view is starting to change, we can no longer continue on this path of destruction. People are finally starting to realize this.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The WTO will not like this at all.
This directly conflicts with the intent of the Codex Alimentarius.
You must hereby report directly to your nearest radiation laboratory with your armful of veges to ensure that these are "made safe" for human consumption...

I love this idea. With the goodwill of the council and people in every town this idea will be world changing - but done in a peacemeal fashion it will fall foul of human nature.

I wish you the best as my country embarks on a journey from the first paragraph whereby it is illegal to share home grown/made goods and seeds with anyone lest we kill them.
edit on 16-12-2011 by trouble_every_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Damn, So the wild blue berry bush 2 miles down in the nearest forest are illegal to pick?

I just grew over 50 tomato plants, about 200 radish's, I got dandelions, crab grass, and skunk cabbage. I grow my own scallions, potatoes and onions. I have a mulberry tree along with maybe 5 raspberry bushs. I have a lime tree. I grow carrots and lettuce along with spinach. I grow all of this for myself and my family.

Why would stores sell seeds for these plants if half of the people in this thread keep saying it's not allowed?

BTW. I grow all of this in CT.

BTW:EDIT: Thank you OP for providing this information. It can be used as a foreset to get people to grow their own food.
edit on 16-12-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
Monsanto is going to legally rape them

First thought I had too.

Absolutely fantastic idea! But is this food safe?!!

As soon as anyone gets a tummy bug for any reason, you can see what card is going to be played.

Interested to know if they use pesticides on them. I hope not.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
sweet! been saying for awhile now, that we need to plant fruit trees and veggies around, everywhere so the poor or hungry can snag a few and survive another day in the best possible way (fresh, vine-ripened). another idea is hydroponic farming. but it needs to be on public lands, so you don't have people wondering if maybe you have more goodies inside your house that're up for grabs lol

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
He he it will be like the war of the roses again. Those lancashire hot pots will be coming over to raid the gardens in Yorkshire. Its a great idea and yes every town should be allowed to do it and encourage this idea. Todmorden is a beautiful little place.
Any one caught stealing and selling this food should be put in stocks. That would soon cure them. Especially if they were pelted with any rotten food left over. Same goes for any half wits that are caught abusing the gardens.
Camerons big soceity? One wuld think that he would be encouraging this sort of thing? That wont happen as hes a tory and they dont like giving any thing away, unless its to his elitest pals.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

More the attitudes of the people than the actual place, i will concede. And more so for Hebdon Bridge than for Todmorden.

Still, my tenuous point still stands! If you're only 8 miles away, you know what i mean - walk around Bradford, Halifax, Burnley, Huddersfield and Rochdale and then around Todmorden. You see it straight away.....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join