It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman receives kidney transplant from stranger after posting ad on Craigslist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

MIAMI, Fla. - A search that began on Craigslist.org has led Selina Hodge to a Miami operating room. Hodge, 28, posted a plea online in July, looking for someone -- anyone -- to donate a kidney. "That's when I turned to Craigslist, because I didn't know where else to turn to," Hodge said, adding that the first few responses arrived this summer. Hodge received more than 800 responses from around the world -- one of which came from a woman who lives just miles away from her Palm Beach Gardens home. "It just amazes me that somebody would actually lay down their life for a complete stranger," said Gina Evans, Hodge's mother.

Wow, as the article states it really takes someone selfless to do this sort of thing. I don't know if I would be willing to do it, and frankly think that answer is no. The donor was only 23, that's 4 years younger than me but much more of an adult IMO. I was just rather touched by this and wanted to share with you all. We get so much bad news here it's always nice to have a reprieve from end of the world stuff.

Video At Link

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

it really takes someone selfless to do this sort of thing.

Or suicidal.

If you truly no longer care about yourself at all, and would not mind if you went to sleep, never to wake again, then you could easily understand how someone could do this without even giving it much thought.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Uh, I feel like there are a number of ways to commit suicide that would be more effective. I suppose though, ya never know. I think it was just a very loving courageous person.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Uh, I feel like there are a number of ways to commit suicide that would be more effective.
I didn't say it could be a method for, or an attempt at, suicide.
I especially did not say that it was a preferred method (ie 'more effective').

Being suicidal does not necessarily mean that someone will follow through with it. Nor does it mean that they even want to do it. It can just simply mean a complete lack of caring for ones' self.

Getting rid of a kidney that you do not need, is not even actually a means to an end. I was just providing a different aspect, by stating how it doesn't have to be some sort of 'self-righteous holier than thou' type of person, to do such a thing.

Since you are not easily understanding, then my first comment was most likely accurate. You do care, and you do not want tonight to be your last. You do want to wake again in the morning. I may differ.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Getting rid of a kidney that you do not need, is not even actually a means to an end. I was just providing a different aspect, by stating how it doesn't have to be some sort of 'self-righteous holier than thou' type of person, to do such a thing.

I was under the impression you were talking about the dangers of very serious surgery and suggesting that the young woman had a secret death wish; that she hoped to never awaken after the surgery. I don't know where you are getting the holier than thou thing.

Since you are not easily understanding, then my first comment was most likely accurate. You do care, and you do not want tonight to be your last. You do want to wake again in the morning. I may differ.

So the blame rests squarely on my shoulders for not understanding your post? Two to tango. I'm sorry if you don't care if you wake up in the morning. Perhaps you could donate two kidneys.

I read your post again and now think I see what you were saying.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I don't know where you are getting the holier than thou thing.
I was just bumping up the description of 'someone selfless', while trying to make my point.

So the blame rests squarely on my shoulders for not understanding your post?
In that scenario, 'not understanding' is a good thing.
I wouldn't use the word blame.

edit on 12/15/11 by BrokenCircles because: unnecessary details

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
What a beautiful post!
Warms my soul to know there are others out there like me would would help a total stranger just because they're human just like me

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Thank you for posting. I hope we'll all see and post more heartwarming tales like this over the holidays. A whole year of yuck is too much. Having a few weeks of happy stuff is appreciated. Hope it becomes a holiday trend on here.

Thanks I thought it was worth sharing with you guys, though it has garnered little interest.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
We should celebrate more these good things,

Such amazing compassion, and bravery within that.

WOW

Thank You

Love

Elf

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

We should celebrate more these good things, Such amazing compassion, and bravery within that.

Completely agree. Would almost like to have a good news board or something.

top topics

join