It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Waltons Have More Wealth Than the Bottom 30 % of Americans(wal-mart)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I feel better now..

trying to get only 1 present for my wife and my 1 daughter this year..

YULE is a happy time at my house..

I read this...

Different people will take this different ways, but Jeffrey Goldberg tells us that six members of the Walton family (the original owners of WalMart) have more wealth than the bottom 30 % of Americans. Here's where he says it: In 2007, according to the labor economist Sylvia Allegretto, the six Walton family members on the Forbes 400 had a net worth equal to the bottom 30 percent of all Americans. And given that he quotes us here at Forbes on the point, he's almost certainly right.

While i work hard in the cold every day..and bust my ass to just make it..

The Waltons are now collectively worth about $93 billion, according to Forbes.

well, I feel better now..but wait!

Well, yes, but. Total US household wealth is in the $50 trillion (yes, trillion) to $70 trillion range. The range is depending on whether you want to take before the housing crash or in the middle of it. So the statement is that these Waltons have, between the family, 0.13% of US wealth. Which, for the people who inherited the world's largest (well, certainly the country's) and most successful retailer doesn't sound like a particularly terrible concentration of wealth. It's certainly less than John D Rockefeller had all by his lonesome when he was in his pomp. But I think it's possible that the comment is more revealing about Mr. Goldberg really, for as Felix Salmon points out, Mr. Goldberg himself has more wealth than the bottom 25% of Americans. This sounds outrageous, until you stop for a second and take note of the fact that...

after that part.. i don't care anymore..

think about what you just read..

6 people in America have more money than 30% of Americans do so far this year..

but Goldberg can beat that with having more money than the BOTTOM 25% of Americans...

That a family who have inherited the majority of one of the leading global retailers have more wealth than the BOTTOM 30% of Americans, when compared with how high up the tree a single ten dollar bill gets you, is pretty much worthy of a heartfelt "Meh".

Merry Christmas....

news.yahoo.com...
who knew....watch this ..then respond..

G'nite Johnboy..G'nite Maryellen......night Granpa.......night Amerika.....
edit on 14-12-2011 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
That's cuz they worked hard and they're smarter and better and they earned it. Cuz those bottom 30% don't work hard, and they aren't smart and educated. The Waltons deserve the money they get, every penny.

And I'll keep saying this as a CEO makes 250-300 times what his average worker makes, because the idea that maybe a CEO is worth more but not that much more is communism and anti-capitalist!
edit on 14-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Jealous much? So their family found a niche in life and filled it, and made a handsome profit while doing it. How does this mean anything, unless your whole post was to bash others that have more than you? Trust me I am in the same boat as you but as you move on in life you realize it's unimportant to dwell on financial things be glad you have someone to share life with.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Whatever... if we didn't have walmart, what would we have? Many small businesses owned and ran by locals?

Have fun with that wacky idea.

Walmart is having a sale for RCA 32" Class LED-LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV, 1.7" at just $249! That's $150 off!

Meeerrry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I think the point is that when six people have the wealth of about 70 million people at the bottom, the system is so unbelievably unbalanced that it's a threat to our way of life.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Meh,doesn't bother me.They're all wealthier then me.Do I care?Nope.Why?Because I'm happy with where I'm at in my life and with what I earn.I say good for them.Hell,even as hated as Walmart is I sure as hell wish I would've started it! And seriously,for anyone that this news bothers or is going to complain about it being unfair blah blah blah...start your own business and make it into a profitable company.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
At what point does someone have just enough money to not be pissed at them anymore? A millionaire? Someone making $50k a year?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

they didn't work hard at squat..

Malaysian people did..

research my friend....

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

thanks..

was hoping more people would see that..

that was/is my point...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
At what point does someone have just enough money to not be pissed at them anymore? A millionaire? Someone making $50k a year?

dunno Domo1..

at what point do you ask yourself...

"How much do they need"?????????

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Trust me I am in the same boat as you but as you move on in life you realize it's unimportant to dwell on financial things be glad you have someone to share life with.

I am astounded at such a response. The amount of money they have gives them access to public manipulation through the capacity of economic constructs, education repression, development of resource/technology and certainly without the pain of wondering where they will rest their heads and who they will share condescending rhetoric with in social situations.

Occupy every Wal-Mart...bring your own food. Riot Police will have a be-yatch of a time tasing people through the aisles...

-Reactive Post...they do provide a means for the less incomed but their wealth contradicts such ideological considerations...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

What are you suggesting they do, donate it all to charity? You have the internet. That costs money. Do you need it? There are a lot of people that have more than we need. I just legitimately don't understand when it's OK to have money with some people.

What would you do to fairly redistribute that wealth? That's a serious question, I always mean to ask but forget.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Sorry it's late could you sum that up for me not sure if your accusing me of something or what? The op was whining because the Waltons make more money than him and he couldn't afford to buy his woman something nice for christmas and that was my response. I can relate to his feelings of not having enough but it's what you have that counts in life, not what you don't have.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78
Meh,doesn't bother me.They're all wealthier then me.Do I care?Nope.Why?Because I'm happy with where I'm at in my life and with what I earn.I say good for them.Hell,even as hated as Walmart is I sure as hell wish I would've started it! And seriously,for anyone that this news bothers or is going to complain about it being unfair blah blah blah...start your own business and make it into a profitable company.

Yeah bro, it's all good, it's not like there are any price matching mega monopolies making start ups nearly impossible. Plus they have a wide selection of aspartame gum(almost in every brand now) as well MSG flavor snacks of all types! AND I can pick up my big pharma meds there?! Oh, thank Jebus for Walmart!

Oh, and of course Walmart got this money in a legal and ethical fashion? It's not like they have REAL people working 7 days a week at $3/day and are cheated out on those meager wages...

NOOO THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN AT WALMART, NOR IS IT RESPONSIBILITY AS A HUMAN TO CARE.. jk...

"Do I care?Nope.Why?Because I'm happy with where I'm at in my life and with what I earn." ME TOO! But guess what, I DO CARE.
edit on 14-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

yea..yea.. i know..

to tired to argue with you now...

and i like you...

but how much money do they need..

almost seems like bragging rights anymore..

these wealthy people look at us as %%%%

not as people..

you are a percentage to them...so am I..

kinda like a contest and you and me are the losers...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
as long as people keep supporting them, they will continue to make this kind of money.
i haven't been in a walmart in years, no future plans either.
then again, the oil co. are about as bad, i still drive.
can't complain unless i quit driving.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by baddmove

What would you do to fairly redistribute that wealth? That's a serious question, I always mean to ask but forget.

Put tariffs on imports. Walmart would go bankrupt, in the mean time, manufacturing jobs would come back to the US and small new retailers would boom, employment rates would skyrocket. Whhaa bam.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Yeah bro, it's all good, it's not like there are any price matching mega monopolies making start ups nearly impossible. Plus they have a wide selection of aspartame gum(almost in every brand now) as well MSG flavor snacks of all types! AND I can pick up my big pharma meds there?! Oh, thank Jebus for Walmart!

Oh, and of course Walmart got this money in a legal and ethical fashion? It's not like they have REAL people working 7 days a week at $3/day and are cheated out on those meager wages...

NOOO THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN AT WALMART, NOR IS IT RESPONSIBILITY AS A HUMAN TO CARE.. jk...

"Do I care?Nope.Why?Because I'm happy with where I'm at in my life and with what I earn." ME TOO! But guess what, I DO CARE.
edit on 14-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

Take it up with walmart.I don't run the company.I standby what I said.How you feel about it is your business.If you're so worried about it do something about it instead of posting on ATS about how evil they are.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I imagine that most of the people that post on ATS have more than a majority of the world... to them, you are wealthy...

So what are you gonna do to appease their feelings of injustice at your wealth? Just how much will you give to a poor family in Tizimin, Mexico...living in a log and thatch roof hut with a dirt floor, washing hands and dishes out of a 5 gallon plastic bucket... bringing their goats into the hut at night so they will not be stolen and eaten...?

What will you do with all of your money you evil, rich worker capitalist?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
as long as people keep supporting them, they will continue to make this kind of money.
i haven't been in a walmart in years, no future plans either.
then again, the oil co. are about as bad, i still drive.
can't complain unless i quit driving.

When the only option is to live your life in a system of corruption in complacency or drop out of society completely. It's time for neither, it's revolution.

We should not have to deal with this nor have this on our backs. While I don't shop at walmart, the heards hypnotized by TV, dumbed down by aspartame, MSG, fluoride, and big pharma chems do. Will they ever understand the social-economic impact of our consumerist society? No. Will they every meet their factory working labors in China? No. Will this ever end if the sane and moral stand aside and do nothing? No.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join