The sage speaks!

page: 1

join

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I have stumbled upon the 'Sage of Baltimore' the great Henry Louis Mencken. This is the only existing recording of Mr. Mencken speaking today; this is amazing for all of the Mencken fans who may be here on ATS. One of the most cynical, sarcastic, and arguably pessimistic America intellectuals in our history; He refuses to be kind and gentle with any subject or anyone's opinion, ruthlessly attacking democracy, fundamentalism, and the masses with scathing attacks meant to point out the obvious. Mencken is called an elitist because of his views that aristocrats should rule as they are the best of man, this runs contrary to democracy which is the rule of the most moronic.

"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy."

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos."

"One of the main purposes of laws in a democratic society is to put burdens upon intelligence and reduce it to impotence. Ostensibly, their aim is to penalize anti-social acts; actually their aim is to penalize heretical opinions."

"The truth, indeed, is something that mankind, for some mysterious reason, instinctively dislikes. Every man who tries to tell it is unpopular, and even when, by the sheer strength of his case, he prevails, he is put down as a scoundrel."

"In the present case it is a little inaccurate to say I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible to any public office of trust or profit in the Republic."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

new topics

join