It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Think Occupy Is For Nothing? Check Out Jefferson County!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Just been reading this on the BBC site and thought I'd share:

...the real victims of the financial collapse in the US state of Alabama's most populous county are its poorest residents - forced to bathe in bottled water and use portable toilets after being cut off from the mains supply. And there is widespread anger in Jefferson County that swingeing sewerage rate hikes could have been avoided but for the greed, corruption and incompetence of local politicians, government officials and Wall Street financiers.

Investment bank JP Morgan Securities and two of its former directors have been fined for offering bribes to Jefferson County workers and politicians to win business financing the sewer upgrade. Six of Jefferson County's former commissioners have been found guilty of corruption for accepting the bribes, along with 15 other officials.

Sheila Tyson, a community activist in the deprived West End district of Birmingham, says people in the city are reaching breaking point. "These people are going to end up rioting about this," she says. "If they let this stuff happen they are going to get the biggest riot the South has ever seen. Over this sewer business. I can see it coming."

FULL STORY

Now ask yourself this...
JP Morgan has had dealings all over the USA for decades, Like a few other large financial corporations they have their evil tentacles in everything. Are we all so dumb as to assume that they haven't repeated this criminality in other states too?

This is a great example of why OWS exists. And why it is only going to continue and the voices get louder as the crowds swell.

I'm guessing this hasn't been seen in any of your precious media either?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
They need some innovation for that sewer system like this ..

I would set up things like this untill lawsuits over the corruption and scandels come thru.

Yes its sad to see people having to fork over such bills for seweage . Unacceptable i agree. Needs to be dealt with . The article does say many were found of corruption.

Put this state along with detroit . Those guys have till april before going bankrupt

sad sad times

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Now ask yourself this...
JP Morgan has had dealings all over the USA for decades, Like a few other large financial corporations they have their evil tentacles in everything. Are we all so dumb as to assume that they haven't repeated this criminality in other states too?

This is a great example of why OWS exists. And why it is only going to continue and the voices get louder as the crowds swell.

With Police brutality, viciousness and apathy on the rise, it is difficult to see how OWS will remain peaceful for much longer. I fear that something will BLOW UP, giving the powers to be the pretense they need to nail the coffin shut of the entire movement and implementing some seriously more fascist "bills".
edit on 14-12-2011 by Glargod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Sadly, I can predict the reaction of many of my fellow Americans:

They'll post a picture of extreme poverty in Africa and say "this is real poverty".

Because, apparently, they believe that people who break their ankle should be shown a picture of someone with a broken femur and told "this is real pain".

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Sadly, I can predict the reaction of many of my fellow Americans:

They'll post a picture of extreme poverty in Africa and say "this is real poverty".

Because, apparently, they believe that people who break their ankle should be shown a picture of someone with a broken femur and told "this is real pain".

I am usually the one talking about Africa, but I know one imbalance does not justify others.

Anyway, this is outrageous, they are being charged $500 a month for water and sewage, WTH?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Great find. But OWS won't do squat to change this.

OWS should just enter JPMorgan branches across the country and not leave till JPMorgan is closed and banned from the US.

If they cry, they can be tried for all the crimes they have committed in the last 100+ years of rape.

They can :
1- leave
2- be prosecuted

Their choice.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Sadly, I live in Shelby country which directly touches Jefferson County, and many of my closest friends live in Jefferson county. It is one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

Jefferson county, besides being one of the most populous, is also one of the poorer counties in the region. This sewer crises, which has led to the county filing for bankruptcy, has absolutely decimated the region. Public servants--from bailiffs to DMV employees--have been laid off in massive numbers. Public services have been cut back. And worst of all, in many places the water is not okay to drink.

Corruption is at an all-time high in the state. From the sewer crisis to the BP oil spill to the Bingo/Gambling scandals. Alabama has so much potential that is just being stiffened by corruption.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I take it you mean American media?

I certainly hadn't heard about it thanks for the post. I thought price gouging was against the law... I think my water and power is about $300 every two months but I don't really pay attention. $300 a month for water/sewage seems ridiculous.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I take it you mean American media?

I certainly hadn't heard about it thanks for the post. I thought price gouging was against the law... I think my water and power is about $300 every two months but I don't really pay attention. $300 a month for water/sewage seems ridiculous.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Indeed, I refer to American media. Although I am well aware of the control of the BBC, I know that the US has it far worse than we do.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
And what gets me about this, is that this won't be the only place in the USA where sh*t like this is happening. But because it's not being reported, people just don't know about it.
I wonder how many other communities there are out there experiencing the same forms of corporate corruption and the same social and economic impact on the people, but no one knows about it, and maybe they think they are the only ones.

Are people actually waking up yet?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

The IS an answer to all of Humanity's problems. That is free energy. And I know it exists but is suppressed and in black ops.

See this thread for links to synthesize the whole: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Great find. But OWS won't do squat to change this.

OWS should just enter JPMorgan branches across the country and not leave till JPMorgan is closed and banned from the US.

If they cry, they can be tried for all the crimes they have committed in the last 100+ years of rape.

They can :
1- leave
2- be prosecuted

Their choice.

"OWS should just enter JPMorgan branches"

Well, thats part of the plan. For a nationwide occupy like that to succeed we need far more numbers, and it is hard with all the anti-OWS propaganda people spew and gobble up. BUT, with that being said, I think it is not a matter of "if" it is a matter of "when" - next spring and summer the numbers should be much bigger, maybe by the time fall comes around such a mass shut down would be possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Cnn actually has an article about it here:www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

join