It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange Wikileaks mystery 'Facebook killer' project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Julian Assange Wants to be The Next Mark Zuckerberg

gawker.com

Wikileaks unveiled a mysterious social network today on Twitter, called Friends of Wikileaks. It's the social network for people who think their personal information is too safe in the hands of Mark Zuckerberg.

"Wikileaks mystery 'Facebook killer' project to beta soon wlfriends.org," Wikileaks tweeted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The article goes on to say :

There's not much information on the site; trying to log in brings up a request for a "registration token" that we don't have. The Who.is information says the site is registered to Julian Assange, so we have to assume this is an official Wikileaks endeavor. All government employes, go register for an account, stat! It will probably end up being some sort of network for Wikileaks supporters, as Assange has in the past urged them to create local "Friends of Wikileaks" chapters.

Theres been a few alternatives to Facebook springing up just lately but a WikiLeaks version has got to be one of the most unexpected. The big question is will Assange's version be more secure than the big mighty facebook? I guess he does have a reputation to uphold in not revealing sources etc but at the same time you can be sure that this project will be getting maximum attention from the authorities and governments around the world

gawker.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
S&F

so now...the guy who releases all kinds of sensitive information is opening up a social networking site and it's going to be secure and private? secure to whom??? private to whom??? when will our personal data be released?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Just another useless social network that I will never use. Even though I respect Assange and what he does, there's no way in hell I'd trust his social network more than any other.

Seems like a waste of time and money to me. He should be focusing on more important things. He probably thinks that this will get him closer to potential sources.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Seems like a waste of time and money to me. He should be focusing on more important things. He probably thinks that this will get him closer to potential sources.

hmm...i think even if he tries to make it stealth, there will be hugh cyber attacks to get inside and i don't know if he can stand against that....but maybe it will be some kind of open-source...that could be a real alternativ...but just a platform registerd to assange...pentagon hackers aren't that bad...

new failbook story: thehackernews.com...
failbook is just epic...i am soo happy i never joind this crap...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Well...wont be joining this one.
It would call for immediate and indefinite detainment by our beloved gubment.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
so now...the guy who releases all kinds of sensitive information is opening up a social networking site and it's going to be secure and private? secure to whom??? private to whom???

Maybe thats the point.
A social network where anything you enter is openly available to all.
Everything. No hidden walls. No secrets.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Idk what this site is gonna be like when it's finished, but while I support wikileaks idk if this website will catch on. I do think a privacy focused, possibly open sourced, successful FB alternative will come about, I doubt it will be branded with WL.

BUT, while don't think this will be "killing" facebook, I do however think this is a great way for wikileaks and anon members to network.
edit on 14-12-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
how do i sign up?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I thought he was under house arrest?

they still give him access to a computer..

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
assange has been captured. he is not the apache massacre of baghdad assange or the cable gate assange.

he's the 5 thousand dollar suit and 800 dollar silk scarf assange.

when's he going to release the "insurance" file encryption key.

edit on 14-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
arent google already trying to do this?
and wasnt annoymous hehe ment to have done it last month?

we just need to forget about facebook and every single person on it.
thanks guys

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I find this interesting, and yet disturbing all at once. On the face of it, a Facebook killer in my view, is a great idea. Facebook is a data empire , that has in recent years accumulated one of the largest (apparantly) non government personal data files in existance. If various concerned persons and movements are to be believed, that information is sold to advertisers, and there are methods by which government departments may look at the site and the information held with in it, to perform questionable surveillance on innocent members of the public throughout the world.

However, Julian Assange and Wikileaks as an organisation are PERFECTLY aware that social networking depends on the sharing of data, ream after ream of it, to make it work effectively. They are also aware that in order to share it, the information must be sent, recieved, and probably stored somewhere as well. They are also, and this is crucial, aware that unless one has access to computing power and expertise on a par with, or better than government intelligence groups world wide, they CANNOT possibly secure the data they are being trusted with, or anything that is sent or received across any network they may establish. It just is not possible for them to do so.

Even if the site was designed so that it could be used "Anonymously" without names or any information being supplied, the fact that a person used the network just could NOT be hidden at all from prying eyes. Internet security is enough of a lie at the best of times, but it disturbs me greatly that a social network could be established by people who KNOW that the entire system such things operate on is a sham in terms of data protection. I am very concerned by this move.

Unless something entirely new, unheard of, and impossible to crack, decode, hack or break has been developed, in secret, at the cost of the GDP of the planet by the most sickeningly clever people ever born, I just do not see how this new network will be as bullet proof as a Wikileaks initiative needs to be.

top topics

join