It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 Members of Congress Protest 'Indefinite Detention' Bill

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have a feeling this bill will be struck down by the supreme court and that the Ugly Stop Online Piracy Act will be shot down as well.

These acts go against our Constitution and I doubt that this invasion if privacy will be reached. If not, count me in as one of the first people to be protesting.

By the way, first post at ATS.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Freaking disgusting. I signed the petition and left this on the comment box:

This is outrageous; all who are for this bill will see the effects of their actions in the very near future. If you are considering signing this bill, think once, twice and a third time before you seal the coffin on the USA. Be a true patriot and do what you have been elected to do: Represent the will of the people. This is the land of the free and home of the brave, do not for a second doubt that last part.

Just posted this on facebook which I almost never get on (I know I know).
edit on 14-12-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

Sometimes you have to go out of your way to state a point, I couldn't have said what you did so eloquently if I tried.
edit on 15-12-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DROKKR

This bill is proof that the American government has something to hide.

How many new bills will focus on stripping Americans of their rights?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
Can someone please quote the specific text that allows for indefinite detention of American citizens? I'm looking at the revised bill that passed and I all I see is language that excludes Americans citizens.

From H.R. 1450, section 1032:

(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND
18 LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—
19 (1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement
20 to detain a person in military custody under this sec-
21 tion does not extend to citizens of the United States.

22 (2) LAWFUL RESIDENT ALIENS.—The require-
23 ment to detain a person in military custody under
24 this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien
25 of the United States on the basis of conduct taking 422
† HR 1540 PP
1 place within the United States, except to the extent
2 permitted by the Constitution of the United States.

And this, also from H.R. 1450, found in section 1031:

(e) AUTHORITIES.—Nothing in this section shall be
20 construed to affect existing law or authorities, relating to
21 the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident
22 aliens of the United States or any other persons who are
23 captured or arrested in the United States.

Also there is this provision that, if I am reading correctly, will make sure that a system of checks and balances will be in place, making sure that the executive branch doesn't act unilaterally:

(f) REQUIREMENT FOR BRIEFINGS OF CONGRESS.—
25 The Secretary of Defense shall regularly brief Congress re-420
† HR 1540 PP
1 garding the application of the authority described in this
2 section, including the organizations, entities, and individ-
3 uals considered to be ‘‘covered persons’’ for purposes of sub-
4 section (b)(2).

This is what I found looking through the bill. Unless someone provides text from the bill that proves this is an evil bill, I think that the only people who should be scared of it are terrorists.

As i understood it so far,those parts are what was taken out of the bill before it got passed.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

The Senate just passed the bill. POTUS Will sign this tomorrow and it will be LAW. Congratulations America, we just signed away our Bill of Rights.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
We are all going to hell in a hand basket, time to join a local militia if not organize organize... it is better to die fighting then march to a cell to fester and rot until your last days. That is if they don't give you a dirt nap in some unmarked mass grave while the people that remember you are thinking you are in some prison camp. I would bet that would be the case. If you cant work as a slave and are elderly or handicapped they will probably start exterminating with them. As well as the "trouble makers" and other undesirables.

It's here folks the Patriot Act was the precursor to all of this, this is not even the final card GET READY!

edit on 15-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Some great posts guys. Well done!

My thoughts are with the good people in America who will have to experience whatever may be on the dark horizon ahead.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
You guys realize that American Citizens and Lawful American Citizens are exempt from this bill right? It's right in the bill go read it.

But it's still messed up!

To make it easy, just find the word "detain", it's in there. Gotta click a few times though.

edit on 15-12-2011 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I know 40 congress men and women that will be looking for new jobs the next election

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Passed the senate.....!!!!!

And away we go.....

www.rferl.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMur
I know 40 congress men and women that will be looking for new jobs the next election

They probably aren't looking to get re elected, they were bought and paid for by special interests you can bet. Yes they will be well taken care of, with the money extorted from the people of the united states. They have a exit strategy for themselves and us.
edit on 16-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
2nd link on senate passage, next stop oval office!!!!

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2011/12/15/MNLI1MD4PG.DTL

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Beginning to feel like Burgess Meredith in the "Twilight Zone":...

Is there anyone... anyone at all.....

www.telegram.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
www.thepetitionsite.com...

Everyone sign! We are already over 25,000 people and it keeps raising every few minutes! This is a petition to impeach the senators who voted for the bill!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by listeningintently2728

thank god, someone is on top of things, was beginning to think I was all alone out here....

I'll gladly sign, in blood if neccessary....

rt.com...
edit on 16-12-2011 by freetree64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Quite frankly, it doesn't make me any more or less mad if American citizens can be detained indefinitely as opposed to only terrorists. I don't think any human being should be detained indefinitely without a fair trial, whether he be American, Iraqi, Iranian, or whatever. When did we start viewing terrorists as less-than-human? That's no better than the bigots who thought blacks or women were inferior to men.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I'm glad there is still a few good people left in Congress, perhaps even more than 40.

The criminals hiding amongst them/us are just trying to protect themselves for as long as they can, nothing exactly new here.

Just live your lives as morally possible and hope you are not part of the first wave of detainees if/when an event occurs that may push it to the brink. As far as I'm concerned there is no law that trumps the peoples law, the U.S. Constitution. I won't recognize or cower to anyone, authority or not that chooses to break the peoples highest laws, if it comes to that. At some point your survival needs to be your #1 priority. If caught off guard, I will appear fully cooperative as if one of their own until I gain a fraction of a second of doubt or trust prior to my life's defense.

I really don't see problem unless we have a shortage of energy supplies, food or shelter due to some type of natural disaster. If you see that coming, then save yourselves and as many as you can and for god's sake stay off the highways.
edit on 16-12-2011 by verylowfrequency because: just say what again

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I'm glad there is still a few good people left in Congress, perhaps even more than 40.

The criminals hiding amongst them/us are just trying to protect themselves for as long as they can, nothing exactly new here.

Let's hope they stay in office !!

Acorn might get some squirrelly ideas

Of the "40", are they Dems or Repubs ?

The worms ALWAYS know where the bodies are buried.

edit on Dec-16-2011 by xuenchen because: Mr

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

I don’t disagree with your statement, I actually was thinking the same thing when I wrote it. lol

However, we do have a pretty equal bench. Both parties have made their contributions and one side of the aisle doesn’t really hold any overpowering advantage.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by listeningintently2728
www.thepetitionsite.com...

Everyone sign! We are already over 25,000 people and it keeps raising every few minutes! This is a petition to impeach the senators who voted for the bill!

It's unrealistic to expect ONE impeachment.. you want to get their attention for real?

Start a petition for a referendum that abolishes the 2 party system & disqualifies all GOP & DNC members, and their families, from future govt service.. by law mandate minimum 10 political parties.

Call it the "protecting America from Tyranny referendum" that abolishes any political party responsible for 1 million innocent deaths, and/ or who voted for "obviously unconstitutional laws" as judged by the people via referendum.

Flush the toilet.. or continue to wade in 2 party mafia fascism.
edit on 16-12-2011 by GovtFlu because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join