It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You all that believe in God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Has anything supernatural happened to why you believe in God? What was it that happened?

I have noticed a bunch of supernatural events in my lifetime so far. I more than believe in God, I trust God. But the God I trust is not any religion's God.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Nothing supernatural has happened to me to convince me of God. I believe because I choose to, because I see beauty in the laughter of a child, the compassion of a stranger, the complexity and wonder of the universe. Is this proof of God...no.

God is in the eyes of the beholder, it can be a dogmatic reality, or a philosophical fantasy. But I don't need no one to tell me about heaven, because I hear the white shores calling.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I also believe in a God (higher power) but my god answers to all the names given to him/her by all the religions. So while I do believe in God, I don't necessarily believe in religion.

supernatural stuff.... I've had experiences with ghosts/spirits on and off thru my life.
I fell from a second floor window into a rock garden and missed all the rocks as a child..
I have felt influences/guidance/direction given to me from what I don't consider to be my subconscious.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I've had alot of "supernatural" things happen. Hauntings mostly, seen a couple fallen angels (demons) and seen one of God's loyal angels. Ofcourse none of these really affected my beliefs. You'll see alot of things that make you question your sanity in paranormal research.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Define what God is please. It seems everyone has their own definition and idea of God. If God does indeed exist, why aren't we all on the same page as to what it is?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

I've got to say I have an odd story to share here, not supernatural but when I was travelling in Iceland I used to drive for quite a lot, and basically when you drive away from Reykjavik you barely get to see any traffic, and when you leave the main #1 road there is almost nothing but non-traffic wild roads.

After this short prelude, I got my confirmation of God's existence (or at least that there is someone or probably someTHING pulling the strings) when I was driving for 2 hours in the middle of nowhere with no cars in sight, houses, people, nothing. And then (and only then) when I've reached a one lane bridge I actually had to STOP for a truck to pass that bridge as it reached the bridge before me. I haven't seen another living thing for another two hours after this 'incident'.

I have more similar examples but i'll give just one more to illustrate it that it's not a one-time bizarre incident, this incidents happened quite often actually. Again same deal i'm driving for one hour in the middle of nowhere when I see a big tractor in front of me driving on the same lane as I did, the immediate response for me was "ok I haven't seen a car for more than an hour, even if I have no visibility for the other lane I can still overtake that tractor without worrying from a car that could go in front of me on the other lane", but as I thought about it I've decided to slow down anyway and make sure that I can bypass the tractor safely. And guess what? A car came in front of me, in a situation that if I would simply overpass it without having any precautions I would have crashed into it, front with front.

For me these experiences made me realize that there is something in our connection that is beyond explanations, we are utterly interconnected and there is something that binds us all together. But of course, it is really hard to guess what is it. But what ever that is, it sure exists.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Well I hate to get into the God no-God debate. Its like looking in the fridge over and over again knowing that the same stuff is going to be there but nothing looks good. But I think I summed it up in my above post

God is in the eyes of the beholder, it can be a dogmatic reality, or a philosophical fantasy.

The reason everyone does not believe in the same concept of God is because we interpret it differently, because there is no evidence of its existence, only the information gathered from the human experience. God may not be a man in the clouds that has dictated the very fabric of the universe, God very well might not exist at all.

Atheists have a concept of God, albeit they do not call it God. They believe in perfection through science, education, and logic. Sounds pretty transcendental to me. Again its a concept not necessarily a reality.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
Atheists have a concept of God, albeit they do not call it God. They believe in perfection through science, education, and logic. Sounds pretty transcendental to me. Again its a concept not necessarily a reality.
That's a pretty big generalization of atheists. I'm an atheist and I've never heard of that nor do I feel that way.

The reason everyone does not believe in the same concept of God is because we interpret it differently, because there is no evidence of its existence, only the information gathered from the human experience. God may not be a man in the clouds that has dictated the very fabric of the universe, God very well might not exist at all.

It's great that you are open-minded. The way I look at things is like this: If I can't explain why something happened, or how it happens, I don't automatically assume that it means that a god must be doing it, or that something supernatural is going on. It's just unexplainable at the moment.

I remember a preacher speaking at my church, he said, "If you can't explain it, god did it." To me, that is the wrong way to look at things.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I did not mean to generalize, I apologize. But would you not say that the majority of atheists do have a form of transcendental philosophy? Secular humanism in general is a concept of bettering the human race becoming a more "perfect" people through scientific advancement and education instead of supernatural ritual and dogma.

The idea of God is not solely the belief of a creator. It is also a symbol of perfection, of knowledge and harmony. No dogma need be attached.

It's great that you are open-minded. The way I look at things is like this: If I can't explain why something happened, or how it happens, I don't automatically assume that it means that a god must be doing it, or that something supernatural is going on. It's just unexplainable at the moment.

I remember a preacher speaking at my church, he said, "If you can't explain it, god did it." To me, that is the wrong way to look at things.

I get where your coming from and I agree. Religion has destroyed our philosophies and our concept of reality. Just because some scientists see a new flash in the sky does not mean god was winking at us (or in the case of this website an alien invasion is on its way). Anything that is supernatural has a reasonable explanation, even if it cannot be directly explained at the moment. I just believe in tolerance of the crazies, because when you crack down on them they just get crazier.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I did not mean to generalize, I apologize. But would you not say that the majority of atheists do have a form of transcendental philosophy? Secular humanism in general is a concept of bettering the human race becoming a more "perfect" people through scientific advancement and education instead of supernatural ritual and dogma.

Well then those are secular humanists. An atheist is someone who does not believe gods exist. An atheist may or may not be a secular humanist.

The idea of God is not solely the belief of a creator. It is also a symbol of perfection, of knowledge and harmony. No dogma need be attached.
Isn't that your opinion? Anyways, I'm not sure that's what science does. Science is a means of trying to understand the natural world via observation, testing, etc. but I could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Well then those are secular humanists. An atheist is someone who does not believe gods exist. An atheist may or may not be a secular humanist.

I guess your right, I concede. I was just trying to say the belief in God is not necessarily the belief in a deity, might be a little tough to comprehend but it is a mystic teaching.

Isn't that your opinion? Anyways, I'm not sure that's what science does. Science is a means of trying to understand the natural world via observation, testing, etc. but I could be wrong.

Well of course its my opinion. There is no interpretation of God that one must adhere to hold their own opinion. That would imply dogma, like a Christian arguing with a Shintoist that there is one God instead of multiple ones. Many philosophers have tried to define what is GOD is (i.e. omnipotence, omnipresence, omnibenevolence etc) like all religions and beliefs are based on the same interpretation of what God is, this is a fools errand because I could make up anything and say that's what God is (flying spaghetti monster). No one can tell me or you what God is or isn't. Its a personal quest, again no dogma attached

I have always believed that science by nature was transcendental, because humans are. We seek knowledge to better ourselves, and to further our understanding of the universe. Just as we created our ancient philosophies and religions to do the same thing, science took over. But that does not mean some of the deep philosophies of old are not practical.

All in all I will say what I said on a previous forum about conspiracies posted today "My beliefs are just that, they are not necessarily true." They are only what I have learned and what I understand. I could be wrong and more than likely I am, as are all of us probably
we are just a pale blue dot floating through space what do we know anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

All in all I will say what I said on a previous forum about conspiracies posted today "My beliefs are just that, they are not necessarily true." They are only what I have learned and what I understand. I could be wrong and more than likely I am, as are all of us probably
we are just a pale blue dot floating through space what do we know anyway.

You seem like a pretty level-headed person. Thanks for the conversation.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
You too my friend nothing like a good conversation to titillate the mind.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

You too my friend nothing like a good conversation to titillate the mind.
Now you're making me horny.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

But of course, it is really hard to guess what is it. But what ever that is, it sure exists.

I think that was what the OP was getting at, that even though people have these seemingly supernatural events happen to them, you can not attribute them to a God unless you already had this preconceived notion of what God is and that anything weird or unusual has to be caused by that God by definition.
Without that ready made rules of God, then when you had these experiences you could never take those to formulate a type of God that people normally get from the typical religious establishments.
edit on 14-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
It's only in hindsight that I noticed God was calling out to me my whole life. Once I had a dream of a wonderful city and I was dressed in white and everything was so bright it was hard to see. I was convinced that place was heaven but thought nothing of it until after my conversion.

Another time when everything went wrong in life and my dad was really drunk he had a vision of Jesus. He was convinced we had to go to church and he wasn't even a christian or ex-christian. But I still hardened my heart and thought it was just drunken ramblings.

Finally when things went terribly wrong for me again, I decided to open my heart to the possibility of God. I prayed to God and asked that He show me He exists because I just couldn't believe and show me which path to walk and I would walk it. I experienced the passion of Christ for myself. Though the wounds are not visible, I felt them for myself and I still feel invisible water or blood dripping down my body from time to time. One time, when I was despairing and convinced I would go to hell, I cried out to God and experienced a light filling me with bliss and ecstasy. People can say it's all hallucinations but when you experience them yourself you know it's not. I found out that invisible stigmata is a real miracle that some people experience.

top topics

join