It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Up In Western Montana? Yellowstone Connection?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I can say that while more energy was obviously released in Japan this year vs last year, that doesn't mean more energy for the whole world was released. make sense???

You are right on the nail there and I shall be demonstrating just that in my annual report for 2011 when it is prepared.

If you want my take on it Katla will blow before Yellowstone. Some uplift going on there.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Does anybody know what the warning signs, if any, there would be in the region if Yellowstone was getting ready to blow?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

the wall of fire and lava rushing twords your house(if you live in mt or surrounding states)other states im pretty sure just look for the never ending cloud of black acrid smoke? i wonder if any one can tell me what kalispell montana's chances of getting leveled with lava are if any one knows would be good to know if my bomb shelter will do me any good....

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thank you for the graphs Puterman and the input! I guess this may be another example of what I am talking about. It may be 'normal' for Western Montana to have, say, 3 mag 3's a year, 20 mag 2s and so on (this is totally made up). What also interests me...and especially here is the amount in a given time. There have been numerous 2-3 mag quakes just in the past week...and they seem on track with Yellowstone.

let me emphasize that I in no way think that Yellowstone is showing any signs of eruption, just that a larger region may be tied into its activity.

As to those signs...i will list some that I know of, but this certainly isn't everything AND no one really knows for sure, because it has never been winessed before:

Quakes
change in geyser activity
change in mud pots
increased release of gasses
die offs
water temp changes

Again: I do NOT think Yellowstone is showing signs of eruption....I just think it curious that all these small quakes are happening in Western Montana and that they seem in line with the ones in Yellowstone.

This ties into a bit of a theory I have proposed before that the current hot springs/calderas and other hot spots in the states were once all connected and that maybe they have more of a current affect on each other than realized.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Again: I do NOT think Yellowstone is showing signs of eruption....I just think it curious that all these small quakes are happening in Western Montana and that they seem in line with the ones in Yellowstone.

This ties into a bit of a theory I have proposed before that the current hot springs/calderas and other hot spots in the states were once all connected and that maybe they have more of a current affect on each other than realized.

The quakes might be caused by magma migration from a newer, northwestward trending leg of the hotspot, that could be carving a path under Montana. There's been some activity recently in the northwest part of YS park near Hebgen Lake to lend a minute bit of credence to the idea, in addition to all the Montana quakes.

Nothing like a supervolcano moving into your back yard.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Yellowstone Volcano Observatory vehicles moving rapidly eastwards!

I guess waestcoast covered most of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Cramming for a final which explains the short post.

That being said, as a resident of Western Montana, I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Hey WC........Go on over to the most recent page of Volcano Watch and check out what Nasa is monitoring underneath Old Faithful

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

Okay, yah. This is wierd. ATS member Vichilio provided a link to an article regarding a NASA sat observation that indicates there is geothermal activity coming from outside the park.

NASA article

Interesting stuff, but they say something about old failthful which really doesn't make sense:

"If that geothermal development outside of the park begins, we need to know whether that's going to cause Old Faithful to suddenly stop spewing," says Rick Lawrence of Montana State University.

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

Say what?

So is that indicating the geothermal acivity is leaving the park and traveling out? Or, what I think more likely, spreading out beyond the known borders? This would play RIGHT into what I just suggested previously....that perhaps the same geothermal features that cause things such as the Lolo hotsprings are more closely connected to the Yellowstone plume than believed.

I have understood that if some of the features (such as old faithful) becomes more 'unfaithful', or erratic/decreasing, than it could indicate stuff getting more unsettled under there. I haven't heard any reports of that though.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Oops!

Sorry everyone!

It's just me doing exercises to try and lose a few pounds before I take on Christmas dinner. I'll try to keep it down from now on! (buurrrp)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
Does anybody know what the warning signs, if any, there would be in the region if Yellowstone was getting ready to blow?

there would be an increasing number of quakes especially larger ones 3 plus for a while. there would be warning signs it would not just blow one day.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Yup, me too. If you were to over-lay the calderasvolcanos and hot spots on there, it makes it even more interesting.

.....actually, here is a map I made awhile ago from my 'putting it all together' thread where I marked the locations of some of the hottest springs in these areas. Note, these are only a few of them. There are literally hundreds:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

In October 2009, a team composed of University of Illinois and Virginia Tech researchers headed by Amr S. Elnashai, funded by FEMA, considered a scenario where all three segments of the New Madrid fault ruptured simultaneously. The report found that there would be significant damage in the eight states studied – Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee – with the probability of additional damage in states farther from the NMSZ. Tennessee, Arkansas, and Missouri would be most severely impacted, and the cities of Memphis, Tennessee and St. Louis, Missouri would be severely damaged.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
Anyone have any idea what the ash fallout patterns would look like?

Most of the US. Head south to Mexico.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
Didn't they just start drilling near Yellowstone?......Not saying this is the cause, but hey ya' never know. We may not be causing the quakes persay but I think we do nudge them along with what we do to this earth.

I thought they just got the permits.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Do you guys think I should invest in respirators?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by chevy369

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
Didn't they just start drilling near Yellowstone?......Not saying this is the cause, but hey ya' never know. We may not be causing the quakes persay but I think we do nudge them along with what we do to this earth.

I thought they just got the permits.

I'm not sure how into it they are right now (too lazy to google it)....But I do know a few people from here (Missouri) that have been hired on already and have been relocating there for that kind of work. I guess I'll have to look into it. Never inquired if these people are jumping the gun but I'm pretty sure they are being put to work already...not 100% on if it has started but hires are being made..at least 3 months ago when I was talking to someone relocating for this.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Depends. I certainly wouldn't do it based on this thread. However, if you are putting together an emergency supply and think that a respirator is something you might need, than yes. I personally just have the regular face masks. (white dust masks) Those work for not only most viruses and dust, but also most ash or other air-borne substances. They are rather cheap and easy to wear also.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
West Coast, excellent post as usual. I too have been watching yellowstone and the PNW, and something feels... well, just off. After looking at all of the usual, and then maps of the world after SHTF, I can't help but wonder what is going on. I am on the southeastern part of Washington, and we have had seismic activity that can be felt several times in the last few months that show up on USGS but then disappear a few hours later. Kind of makes me wonder what is going on and what they are not saying................

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join