It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Passes Rules to End Loud Commercials

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Maxmars

I hope the CRTC here in Canada will follow your example!

Last night I stepped away for just a moment, of course while I'm in the other room some obnoxious commercial starts blasting and I had to hurry back to turn it down. I guess it was a rookie mistake on my behalf for not muting it.

I wonder how many people's blood pressure has been affected by this advertising tactic.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

The worst part of all is when you are watching tv late at night while everyone else is sleeping and suddenly BOOOOMMM. They wake up and tell you put the damm set LOWER and then the regular broadcast continues at 5 lines lower. Then back to raising the volume again........

Back and forth every 15 to 30 minutes depending on how aggressive the advertising is. #ing infuriating but then again I am not known for my patience anyway.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
There's too many laws already. This will become a Trojan Horse.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Not sure why we have to wait till december 2012 for this to kick in but it's great non the less.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks Maxmars! Not a moment too soon. I actually called Cablevision about this within the last year.
I asked them why the remote took so long to flip through channels. They said it was due to the new digital
signals. With Analog, channels didn't take as long to load. Then I asked them why the commercials were
so much louder than the programming. (Of course I already new it was an advertising ploy,) and they said
that is under the advertisers control. At that point, I asked them why if they own the cable wires, the cable boxes,
the channel selections,etc. Why couldn't they control the signal volume. (Which they can of course). To this
I recieved the same above answer. I then explained that the commercials were not only obnoxious, but they
were disturbing people in other rooms around the house. To top it off, I am PAYING for this service into my
home.
They seem to conveniently forget about that fact. Where I live, you had 2 choices, Cable or Satellite.
But now with Netflix and Internet T.V. Maybe some healthy competition is rising. Anti -Trust Laws still exist
in The United States, it is a matter of enforcement. I am really glad to hear of this particular FCC ruling.
I hope it is implemented soon. It should be Effective Immediately in my opinion.

At any rate, thanks for sharing this information. It is about time. S&F

P.S. Excellent Avatar you have there.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add Post Script

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Wait... The government did something right?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's because the advertising works. It is that simple I think.

I'm glad about this also. I remember reading about it last year and wondered what happened. Thanks for the heads up. Good news.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Wait... The government did something right?

This should turn into a party thread. Fireworks and all.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
There is no reason why the volume of commercials cant match the volume of the tv show that is viewing.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is rubbish. Nothing is going to change. This discussion has been going on for decades and nothing has changed. There will always be some loophole, some sidestep that can be exploited.

Here's an idea: Let's get some legislation that bans television commercials from using any type of audio altogether. Then there's no question about whether commercials are too loud. There won't be any sound. All they should be allowed to do is put up some interesting graphics and a description of what the product is. Like in a magazine. There's no sound in a magazine ad. At least not yet.

I think I'll call my Senator tomorrow and suggest this.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

But HOW can I hear them when I go reload on my Munchies?
My fridge is 35 feet away and surround sound is only so awesome in the little 2 bedroom apartment we live in

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow, I am actually happy about something the FCC did! This is great news.

I hate how they would blare commercials like that and sometimes it was so loud it would even hurt my ears. It is just absurd. I got sick of having to grab the remote and mute it.

Good on the FCC!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

This Reply was intended for Rekrul not twitchomatic. Please forgive my error.

I wholeheartedly and respectfully dissent to your explanation.
This method of advertising has been done across the board.
To say that it is the result of a "few lazy individuals" insults our intelligence.

Deny Ignorance. Period.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Correction

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Were the commercials loud or were the shows quiet? I would rather had the tv shows turned up. I have to have my hd tv up nearly all the way to hear anything.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I'll Party with you any day Blaine, and after a few, I will even send a HoneyBaked
Spiral Cut Ham to my friends at the Fire Department.
It is the least I can do after that inevitable fireworks of yours ignites the neighbors
roof. HooHeeHooHaa

Enjoy 26 Seconds www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Rekrul

Rightfully so that they should suffer, if they can't do the job they are so luxuriously content with.
I respectfully dissent your shallow explanation.

Best Regards

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

About TIME !!!

S&F&

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
awesome....now can they do something about loud music and low dialogue in movies?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Finely the feds did something right. I hate how loud and annoying commercials had gotten and they finely doing something about it. At times, it seems it is going to blow the speakers out on the tv hahaha.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

no its not. i used to be a master control and made these errors myself. quit guessing.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

you are being hypocritical. go to your local t.v. station and see for yourself. to deny ignorance is to deny what you believe, and what you believe here is false. look it up for yourself if you don't believe me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join