It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Passes Rules to End Loud Commercials

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

FCC Passes Rules to End Loud Commercials

www.wlsam.com

Pretty soon there'll be no need to reach for the volume-control button on the remote the next time a commercial interrupts a favorite TV show.

The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday unanimously approved new rules that require cable and broadcast stations to play commercials at the same volume as the TV shows they break into.

The new FCC order is a step in carrying out the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation, or CALM Act, which President Obama signed in 2010.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I, for one, am glad that the 'waiting' for this common courtesy is over.

Imagine if you will, having a conversation with someone, and having it repeatedly interrupted by a very loud and distracting voice....

The real problem is this; why do we have to resort to legislation to achieve this? Do you think those in the advertising industry 'enjoy' being yelled at about products and services? Do you suppose that when they have their board meetings there are discussion about "not loud enough?"

A comment in the source article peaked my interest...

William Lake, chief of the FCC's Media Bureau, pointed out that such regulations had not been possible in the past because of limitations on analog television.

Yet, as a baby-boomer, I can recall no complaints or objections which indicated this was as prevalent a practice or problem in broadcast television... (louder sound meant higher amplitude signals which cost more money.)

Notice they industry was able to lobby for up to two "one-year" extensions on the mandate because they might fact "financial hardships" implementing this new control.... "don't yell at your customers in their homes - let them control their own volume.)"

So now that we know it takes two years for the cable companies to lower their volume, I wonder how long it will take to have them restrict the term "news" to apply only to actual "news" and identify opinion and press releases as just that...?

www.wlsam.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Personal Disclosure: I have heard of Truth in Advertising being a requirement, but this is the 1st time I have heard of Respect in Advertising as a requirement beyond the standards of Ad placement for target demographics [so no adult ads during kids shows etc].

2yrs hardship leeway :shk: .. THATS A SCAM!

edit on 14-12-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling error.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Man, I thought I was crazy.

Watching Andy Griffith and

HEY WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE HOW YOU CAN GET RICH WITH POPSICLE STICKS AND $5.99?? STAY TUNED

This is awesome. YAY CHANGE lmao.

Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to harass customers that are now p-o'ed they have to pick up the remote.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Saw this last evening in the news. Good news it is, too. I get so tired of turning down the set when a commercial comes on, and then turning it back up when the show I am watching comes back on. Some of these commercials are really loud too, it is amazing at how loud they become. If you watch TV late at night, when everyone else is asleep, you really have to watch that a commercial doesn't wake everyone up. This is very good news. I do not have much truck with Federal Agencies, but my hat is off to the FCC.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It's about time.. Too bad we have to wait until dec 2012 before it starts.

At one time there was a tv that would balance the volume.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Stars, Flags, Hugs, Bubbly...... This is fantastic news!

Next, they need to ban strobing lights! When my baby boy was an infant and struggling with seizures, there was one particular car commercial that would come on in the middle of the night with this bright strobe that accelerated in frequency and ended with a loud bang! It almost made me ill each time, it set the baby to crying, and it was extremely annoying.

Plus, the logic behind these commercials is ridiculous. What is everyone forced to do during commercials? Mute the TV. So, we all hear the first 15 seconds of screaming, and then we don't hear any more commercials in that set. If they used regular volume, we might actually hear them.

I'm seriously considering just getting rid of televisions altogether. You can't trust the news anymore, and there are far healthier forms of entertainment.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
you do know its the people who dub the commercials into the computers who overlook the sound levels. its just an accident, lazyness, or neglect. what it is, is when the broad casting station (t.v. station) gets the tape to dub onto the systems, they have to phycially adjust the sound and gamma levels. its not the commercial companies fault, but you could concider it the broadcasting company's fault for not double checking it. its just an error. people need to stop being so ignorant towards it. next time you hear a loud commercial, just say to yourself "heh, there must be a new guy."... the only guys who are going to suffer from this is the master control operator. one man/woman. a regular old joe.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Rekrul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm waiting for them to start enforcing this rule, I swear I've been annoyed for the past two years now waiting on this to happen. Hurry up FCC, I'm sick of having to adjust the volume on my tv.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul
you do know its the people who dub the commercials into the computers who overlook the sound levels. its just an accident, lazyness, or neglect. what it is, is when the broad casting station (t.v. station) gets the tape to dub onto the systems, they have to phycially adjust the sound and gamma levels. its not the commercial companies fault, but you could concider it the broadcasting company's fault for not double checking it. its just an error. people need to stop being so ignorant towards it. next time you hear a loud commercial, just say to yourself "heh, there must be a new guy."... the only guys who are going to suffer from this is the master control operator. one man/woman. a regular old joe.

It's not an error, it is done deliberately to get peoples' attention. I remember back in the 70's hearing about commercial ads being loud because people would get up and head to the kitchen or bathroom whenever a commercial break started. The sound was louder to make you hear it wherever you went. Remember, these advertisers will do anything....*anything*....to get you to pay attention to their products.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rekrul

No, its not laziness. Its called "compression." TV shows and movies have a variety of sound levels, whereas commercials are intentionally broadcast at only the highest compression level.

At least that is what my cable company told me. Yes, I called to complain many times. They say they have no control over it, but they do. They could fix it, but they let their advertisers dictate the sound level.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by avocadoshag

This is the best news I have heard all day. Although, it is the only news I have heard today so it's also the worst. hahaha.

That was probably a good, yet annoying, strategy back in the 70's before remote controls were common. What in the world are they thinking now when people have remotes?

Now I am looking forward to the mandate to reduce the length of commercials. Have you seen some of those 3 and 4 minute commercials? Those are ridiculous! If a commercial break was only 1 or 2 commercials they could charge more for the spots, make customers happier, and put more content into the show. This is again one of those before the new tech came along. Before DVR long commercials or long commercial breaks made sense. Now people just fast forward through them. If they were shorter then people may actually watch them and make advertising more valuable.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All of the shows I watch excluding live sporting events are PVR'd (DVR for American folk). My PVR has a nifty button that skips forward 30sec at a time. Everytime a commercial break happens, 3-5 clicks of the button and I am right back to watching the show

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by rbnhd76

Seriously, who thought it was a good idea to harass customers that are now p-o'ed they have to pick up the remote.

I'd guess the DVR companies scammed the broadcasters into thinking loud commercials would get buyer's attention.
It got mone.
I used to hate the idea of a DVR.. now I use it on almost every program I watch so I can FF past ALL commercials.

Good jod broadcasters.. your dumb idea pushed me to buy a DVR and eliminate all your work from my life.

This legislation only means I get 15-20 minutes of programming earlier than before.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thank you God!

Nothing pisses me off more than those damn loud commercials coming on after I have drifted off to sleep!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
About time something as simple, yet irritating as this, got fixed! Good job FCC now you can fix another thousand or so problems. Stay busy!!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I hope the CRTC here in Canada will follow your example!

Last night I stepped away for just a moment, of course while I'm in the other room some obnoxious commercial starts blasting and I had to hurry back to turn it down. I guess it was a rookie mistake on my behalf for not muting it.

I wonder how many people's blood pressure has been affected by this advertising tactic.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have seen alot of specs for flatscreen TVs that have a feature called auto volume correction. I would imagine this is some sort of automatic gain control, if it is, they could have put these into TV's LONG AGO (70's). Why come out with something thats been in radios, for TVs, now?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I was just talking to my wife about this the other day. I swore they had already passed such a bill, guess I just remember the talk of it.

Nothing irks me more than sitting there relaxing when suddenly you hear.....HAVE YOU TAKEN THIS DRUG AND SUFFERED FROM THIS?
I swear those commercials are the worst at it. I mean they are generally louder than any of the other commercials. I might not have taken the drug and suffered whatever, but I have heard the commercial and suffered hearing damage. Not to mention the fact that they wake up children.

Stinks we have to wait one more year for this though.

Raist

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rekrul

As a master control operator, I have to say truer words have never been spoken.

I have even on accident dubbed in a commercial waaaaay lower than it should have been to the point of not really even being able to hear it.

Another reason these pop up is because no production house ever uses the same sound settings. So, if you have 50 commercials to dub in and you set the first one up perfectly, the next one will be completely different. Sometimes 1 or 2 will get passed you.. and of course those are the ones that run more than others (figures).

The people that actually make the commercials have absolutely no control over the loudness of the sound once it is sent to a television station. That responsibility falls into the hands of operators like myself. There has always been a standard about keeping the sound levels in check at every station... but not to the point it was regulated.

Now though, every station WILL be more on the ball about having operators paying more attention.

I have sat at home and seen a commercial I knew I dubbed in personally and realized immediately that I messed the sound up.... the difference is, when I get back to work its fixed next chance I get.. not everyone cares.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join