It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahoo/AP News Censors Comments Section. Ron Paul support rumored as reason why.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As many of you on here have done, I tend to go to Yahoo News sometimes to read articles. Not because the articles are great, but because the responses. Some can be rather shallow and insulting, but many of them are very witty and give a true view of the situation, aside from the MSM's spin on it.

Well, all that changed yesterday. Yahoo abruptly removed their comments section yesterday morning, claiming "technical issues." Along with many others, I called them up to attempt to verify this, and they told me it should be up within a couple hours. That was almost 24 hours ago. As a computer science major, I can tell you that their excuse is most likely bull. Their comments section looks like it is java based, one of the easiest programming languages. Yahoo is reputed to have one of the best programming teams on the web. If they are having trouble with their comments section, either there's a malicious reason, or they are utterly incompetent. Now, many times they have trouble with the Yahoo Answers message boards or email, but those are usually fixed within a couple hours. I have never seen something as simple as comments on an article be down for this long.

Now as for why they might be censoring comments, there's a rumor floating around. It's just that, a rumor and I'm not sure how reliable it is. But it's been posted on Yahoo Answers many times. The rumor is that after Saturday's debate, there was such a positive reaction from Ron Paul people, that Yahoo decided to cut it's comments section. Now it's just a rumor, but the strangeness doesn't end there.

This morning while in my email, I noticed an article mentioning Ron Paul:

Actually, this is the first article I've ever seen directly mentioning Ron Paul.

Well who is it written by? None other than David Rothschild. Maybe this is just me, but I feel like he is almost mocking Yahoo users by some of his comments.

Ron Paul is by far the most popular candidate in The Signal's comment section. In every article we post there are streams of comments on Ron Paul. First, thank you for commenting! We appreciate that you are reading the articles and taking the time to comment on them. Yet, the readership of The Signal is not a representative sample of the relevant electorate and the subset of The Signal's readers that choose to post comments are an even less representative subset of the relevant electorate. Thus, being the most popular among those people who comment on this website is not a powerful indicator of the election outcome.

Ron Paul is leading or in second place in many straw polls, but again, these are not representative samples of the relevant electorate.

Similarly, Paul dominates positive tweets in an atmosphere that is incredibly negative. But, tweets originate from an unrepresentative segment of the electorate who can "vote" many, many times.

news.yahoo.com...-id

So what do you all think? Am I grasping for straws here? Maybe I am, but the whole thing just seems odd to me.

edit on 14/12/2011 by Sauron because: internal quote tags to external quote tags

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Non governmental press can write or do whatever they want.

I support Ron Paul too, but it is naive to think your rag of choice will as well. If the board of directors for Yahoo does not support Ron Paul, it's fair to assume Yahoo itself will not. Common sense.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Wouldn't surprise me. How is this blatant abuse of power being constantly accepted?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
Non governmental press can write or do whatever they want.

I support Ron Paul too, but it is naive to think your rag of choice will as well. If the board of directors for Yahoo does not support Ron Paul, it's fair to assume Yahoo itself will not. Common sense.

You should see the comments. They are almost completely pro-Ron Paul.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Many people believe that the trillionaire families ...the Rothschilds and the Rockerfellers...pick the candidates...and have a major influence on who is elected. The fact that a Rothschild is saying the popularity of Ron Paul will not be reflected in the electorate votes....speaks volumes...don't you think?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

are you a mindreader?
what she said!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I do. It's a pity though. I really think Ron Paul would be an excellent president.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I said this in another thread, but I'll be glad to repeat it here too. On Alex Jones show yesterday, (President) Ron Paul said, in his first year, he will go after the Federal Reserve, change foreign policy --immediately-- and cut a trillion in government spending.
www.youtube.com...
At 11:36 in the vid near the end

THEMS IS FIGHTIN WORDS! Line-in-the-sand stuff to the PowersThatBe.

BRING IT PAUL!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Wait a sec, is this the david de rothschild because it just says david rothschild and I didn't know the richest person in the world worked for yahoo, also i'd be surprised if he was even literate. Is this the same "plastic jesus" of the rothschild fortune who claimed to have never drunk a cup of coffee before?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Um, are we sure this man is from the Rothchild dynasty? Or simply share the same name. I think the latter. This man didnt even graduate from a Ivy League school. Here is his bio:

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 14-12-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I'm not a Ron Paul supporter (though there's a lot I do like about him), but I've noticed for years the media's tendency to write off larger and larger groups of people as being "unrepresentative" of the electorate. It's getting ridiculous now. Clearly the guy has a lot of supporters and momentum, and should be treated as a viable candidate. The more the media fights against this, the more clear their agenda is.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Those "Doesn't represent blahblahblah..." comments were the last line of defense against Ron Paul's popularity before resorting to censorship. Not that they have any qualms about censorship, it's just a little blatant & I imagine they worry that it might be noticed by the masses (lol, right).

Fact is he is getting noticed because his words are resonating with people more than ever. Even if they aren't awake, people are sensing that things are very wrong. Ron Paul answers that feeling. He is building momentum, and the media has done everything in their power to derail it.

In the beginning was open mockery. Then it was character assassination & loaded questions. After that came the fixing of results, hiding of results and media blackout of Paul's performance. Now, when the other candidates are admitting to studying Dr. Paul's positions (which in one case they hadn't heard of?!?!) and learning from him, the media is straight up scrubbing anything favorable.

Expect more, keep the grassroots growing, turn your friends and neighbors onto Ron Paul via the web!
edit on 14-12-2011 by blamethegreys because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yahoo message board is disabled-

That or i struck a nerve and was blocked.

Dont ban the hackers--ban the people that make you mad with words.

America is the smartest people i know

really

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I've noticed the comment section as well. It's been down for awhile now...

Oddly enough, the only other times I've seen it down in the past concerned controversial topics (while other articles had the comment section going, controversial articles did not). I almost wrote a thread on ATS regarding that, but felt that perhaps it was circumstantial. I guess Yahoo was sick of the banter, and just removed the option.

Every Political Article posted had Ron Paul support in the comments. The support of the other candidates could literally be counted on two hands. Obama is the only other figure that showed as much support, however the negatives for Obama was on par with his support.

Probably will be put back when it's convenient to Yahoo. Wouldn't be shocked if they removed the thumbs up/ down portion.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Here is a yahoo answers talking about the comments section being disabled. They are talking about the indefinate detention bill. Apparently this has been going on for a while. I guess yahoo is okay with people avoiding their articles because the comments are the only worthwhile thing.

uk.answers.yahoo.com...

join