It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iconic Photos & Secrets Tucked Away in Penn. Mountain Mine: (Iron Mountain)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Iron Mountain, an old limestone mine-turned-high-security facility in Pennsylvania, is the unlikely spot where you'll find 150 years of American history packed away in filing cabinets. Millions of photographs, negatives, and even glass plates from 19th Century cameras, are stored in the facility 220 feet underground -- a trove of times gone by. They're the property of Corbis, a company owned by Bill Gates.

John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier. The couple is seen on June 27, 1953, in Hyannis Port, Mass., sitting together in the sunshine at Kennedy's family home a few months before their wedding.

Heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali stands over Sonny Liston and taunts him to get up during their title fight on May 25, 1965. Ali knocked Liston out in one minute in the first round during their bout at the Central Maine Youth Center in Lewiston, Maine.

Elizabeth Eckford ignores the hostile screams and stares of fellow students on her first day of school on Sept. 6, 1957, in Little Rock, Ark. She was one of the nine African American students whose integration into Little Rock's Central High School was ordered by a federal court following legal action by the NAACP.

Mary Rae Bingham kisses her boyfriend, Gordon Kiester, in the sunshine from a window at Michigan Central Station in Detroit in December 1944. Kiester was about to return to his duties as a sailor after a Christmas holiday break.

President Abraham Lincoln with Gen. George B. McClellan at his headquarters at Antietam, Va., on Oct. 3, 1862. From left: Gen. George W. Morell, Col. Alexander S. Webb, Gen. McClellan, Scout Adams, Dr. Jonathan Letterman, unidentified officer, President Lincoln, Col. Henry Hunt, Gen. Fitz, John Porter and an unidentified officer.

Source: www.cbsnews.com...
Info on Iron Mountain: Website: www.ironmountain.com...
And a video-which may ring a bell for some:

Well, I got lost today. Lost in thought and memory recollection as I paged through these awesome photos. I put a few up here of the 43 but I just couldn't contain myself. What a great collection of USA memories, which some of the people in them went on to change America and/or the World. You be the Judge.

Take a stroll, pick out your fav. Look at the ones I picked-but there are SO many more-I wanted to give you a cross section.

JKF and Jackie-Common Now..... back when they were young and innocent. He a decorated Navy Hero (PT 109). If they only could have known what their futures held. So sad now.

ALI!!! Memories of my childhood. He was the Man. Look at him then. A pillar of determination and dedication. He was there to make his mark... not be a fall guy or punching bag. A real Rocky.

Ms Eckford: The Bravery displayed that must have covered up her tremenous fear at the time and place. Look at the faces of the people behind her. Pure Hate... becuase this pretty young lady's skin was darker than theirs. A black eye on American at that time. Look, even the National Guardsmen on the far left.... Dam.

The young lady kissing her love farewell as he heads back to the War. My Favorite. Look at her-truly looks in love with the lucky man. I wonder whatever become of them. I wish at times I lived in those times-honestly.

Abe Lincoln. No Youtube back then. Just this pic from the war front. I never saw this one before. Definitely puts a face to the Lincold we hear so much about (where I reside anyway). Look at the men around him. The lives/challenges they must have endoured-following Abe's orders. A true snapshot of American life during the Civil War.

So, I could go on but I want to hear which ones are your favorites and why etc. Enjoy.

And I am glad that we have the ability and technology to be able to save this stuff and whatever else is being saved. For the betterment of mankind.
edit on 12/14/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I never knew Abraham Lincoln was a giant.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

The hat adds a good 6".

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Nice thread.

Loved the pictures.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

Well, Lincoln was a victim of acromegaly and though he wasn't as tall as many others known to have the disease, it explains his height and prominent facial features.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Did you see any at the main source that you liked as well?

I did like the one of the Rat Pack but the more I look at it I got sad. I'm getting old.... boo hoo.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by hp1229

Did you see any at the main source that you liked as well?

I did like the one of the Rat Pack but the more I look at it I got sad. I'm getting old.... boo hoo.

Yes indeed i liked the Rat Pack one but to be honest there are several others that I liked as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Looking over them again, I really like the Vince Lambardi one.

Football when it was a different game. If he would have known what the game he love would become. I doubt he would like the big salaries, the flambouance of some players, the disrespect of officials and coaches etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Maybe I should have put Flight 93 secrets hidden in Mountain Mine.

Well, too bad this didn't do better. I am surprised some of the older ATSers didn't get on board.

Well, at least we know where to go if we ever want to dig some old time stuff up.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Am I the only guy that freaking loves women that kiss with a foot raised behind them? I think I dated a girl an extra month or two because she always did that.

That stoic look on the young African American woman is awesome

Great thread.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Very interesting.

I have this . . . impression or thought or fantasy or some such . . .

that God has periodically mushed things all over and started over again--more or less erasing all evidence of past civilizations from any accessiblity--at least accessibility of any clear evidence at all.

Now, in our era, many Christians are convinced that these are the END TIMES . . . further, there's some Biblical evidence that evil doers will have all evidence of their existence erased from the planet.

Certainly plausible.

I've often wondered about archives such as your OP is about. Wouldn't be any big problem for God to deal with . . . just move a tectonic plate here and there. LOL.

Having been a librarian for 6 years of my educational life part time . . . I love such archives.

On the other hand . . . I could do without pics of genocide etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

that God has periodically mushed things all over and started over again--more or less erasing all evidence of past civilizations from any accessiblity--at least accessibility of any clear evidence at all.

Interesting. I had thought about the most likely fact there were other Human Races before what we know of our Race. If indeed they did exist, the elements of time and mother nature took care of any eveidence.

I have seen pics, threads and whatnot about in odd places or deep down or in caves that indicated something was here before us modern day ones.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
is it not wonderful thaT the rueling elitess who will be responsible for nuclear armageddon have safe places to flee to while the rest of humanity burn in a nuclear hell .

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

Well, um, errrr, ahhhh, Don't know what to say to your reply.

Other than. I hope you have a Merry Christmas.....and a better New Year!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Bill Gates owns this actual photo and it is there as well.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

It is actually nice to see this photo of him, like this. A human being.... like the rest of us, with one hell of a mind.

Puts him in different but greater light. IMO>

Thanks for posting. You are about the only one that posted what they liked. Star!

top topics

join