It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Crackdown Also Snares Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I did not believe this news

A growing number of United States citizens have been detained under Obama administration programs intended to detect illegal immigrants who are arrested by local police.

An American college student, Romy Campos, was sent to a California jail on an immigration detainer.

In a spate of recent cases across the country, American citizens have been confined in local jails after federal immigration agents, acting on flawed information from Department of Homeland Security databases, instructed the police to hold them for investigation and possible deportation.

www.nytimes.com...

edit on 12/14/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Mod Edit-- Please Use EXACT headline & EX tags for external content.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by eniranjanrao

I did not realise that there were any illegal human beings in this world!. I know there are alot of immoral and psychopathic leaders in this world though.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Would that I could convince them I'm an illegal Canadian or British National.

Sadly, this will never happen, and they probably wouldn't care even if it did.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
So, even if you have all your documents [ You haf your papers, ya?] because of your skin color, you're assumed to be illegal. Welcome to Amerika.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
"He had his driver’s license and other legal identification, but because of an immigration detainer he was denied bail and held even after a criminal court judge canceled his fine and ordered the police to let him go."

So why did he have an immigration detainer if he was a legal citizen? I don't get it. Anyone who is arrested has their information checked by the cops before actually aresting someone. I don't understand how this could happen.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Well technically all Americans are illegal immigrants due to the slaughtering of the native people and the taking of their land...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So, of the two examples listed, 1 guy "accidentally" shoplifted and was arrested and the other girl was arrested on an unspecified misdemeanor but had entered the country on a Spanish passport. What do these people have in common? They were arrested for other crimes. It isn't like INS is rounding up Americans and detaining them.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This just confirms my theory that the worse the tyranny gets the sooner The Onion is out of a job. I mean where does this headline really belong?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This just reeks of a power play by the Nobama administration to tout why the immigration reform bills in several states should be overturned. I would put money on it!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

You're putting too much faith in the system. Anybody can have their life turned upside down by any number of manufactured or mistaken profiles.

There is too much power to ruin with wrong addresses, similar names, relative proximity, anonymous tips, documents lost in the mail that you were never notified of, and plenty of other things.

Our system of "justice" has adopted a "better to apologize than ask permission" attitude.

We are all potential victims of it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Way to scaremonger dude.
The title should read

Immigration Crackdown Also Snares Americans

Americans were not arrested for being illegal immigrants. They were arrested for other crimes, and then held on an immigration detainer. The one girl used as an example totally brought that on herself by entering the country on a Spanish passport. The shoplifter being held on immigration detainer was a serious mistake and the the agency should be punished for that. However, if he had not shoplifted it never would have happened.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This makes sense because it makes no sense.
edit on 14-12-2011 by WilburMercer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This fellow has a big payday ahead. He just has to sit tight and let the lawyers do all the talking. I hope they detain me as an illegal immigrant. I need a big payday too.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
This fellow has a big payday ahead. He just has to sit tight and let the lawyers do all the talking. I hope they detain me as an illegal immigrant. I need a big payday too.
He should sue. He should also press criminal charges against whoever authorized the detainer.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I think whoever issued the detainment order, along with those who gave it their approval, should be at the employment office looking for a new job. At the very least.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Fundamentally the entire system of arresting individuals for non violent crimes is all about creating more Payees into the system to justify the Bureaucrat's existence.

If someone is incarcerated and placed into a cage, it provides ample motivation to regain the life and freedom they once possessed.

This of course requires large amounts of money in which to do so.

This is the fundamental mechanism of the Bureaucracy who produce nothing tangible but only wage penalties upon those that violate their rules and thereby relinquishing the resources of those that do.

Plain and Simple.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Will they hold "indefinitely" without trial ?

S1867 is being tested?

What about fake ID's?

What about fake birth certificates?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by brommas

I did not realise that there were any illegal human beings in this world!. I know there are alot of immoral and psychopathic leaders in this world though.

So if I break a window in your house and eat whatever I want, sit on the couch to whatch tv, sleep there and I impose my lingo theatening you with my right to take over your place, is not illegal?

top topics

join