It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*BREAKING*- 2011 TIME Magazine Person of the Year: THE PROTESTER

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I have seen some complaining about the bias of time magazine, because it tends to be left leaning. Really, which way the bias leans does not matter. Bias is bias.

But I don't pay any real attention to Time's person of the year. Why? Well, I like to think for myself. There are lots of people that had very important roles, worthy of mention this year.

But I must say, I do agree with who was chosen. The protestor was a major player in the political scene this year and so many changes across the world came at the hands of the protestor.

So, I say good call.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Some things to think about ....

American Thinker

Sorry, Tea Party didn't make the cut. Only Occupy Wall Street and Arab Spring protestors were apparently worthy of inclusion. ....

"Millions of supporters?" Wha? Who? WTF? There were barely 200 Occupy San Francisco protestors at a demonstration last weekend. The big protest planned by the OWS this week - to shut down every port between San Diego and Alaska - fizzled so badly that the press was forced to forget about reporting the original goal. Most ports saw little or no protest activity at all. Only one port was shut down - the Port of Oakland.

Just FYI - Time Magazine is owned by Time/Warner. Time Warner is left wing. There is some controversy over Time/Warner making statements that show it's out to destroy FOX news, and there are allegations of 'blood liable' from Time Warner against the country of Israel.

Other FYI - Time Warner vs News Corps - Freakonomics
Time Warner Books full of Bias
Time Warner SEIU Bias
edit on 12/14/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Did I just read that they were even considering Michelle Obama?

Glad about the one they chose though. This has been a great year for protesting, Occupy, many eastern protests, and so much more, it surprises me. Most of these people go through hell and back, and are still willing to fight for themselves and others. Unfortuanatly most are brought down by the very ones they are fighting against, or they bring down themselves, same end though. Anyone that participated in a protest should feel proud, especially since it seems they are a part of the perosn of the year.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Some of you here still seem to think that OWS is all about the little protests in the USA. You do know the world is a hell of a lot bigger than just your country, right?

OWS started with the Indignados in Spain, which saw an estimated million people marching and occupying. The OWS protest in New York spawned thousands more protests around the USA, and protests in every major city throughout the Western world.
Protests in Arab nations overthrew leaders.

Whether you agree with the left-leaning nature or not, no sane Human can deny that the protester created incredible change around the world this year, far more influential than any single person on the planet.

And as for leaving out the Tea Party, what have they done in 2011? The only mentions of them I have seen have been right-wing rhetoric against the OWS protests. Have they been protesting in large numbers ANYWHERE this year? And where are they on the international stage?
Only America actually knows anything about the Tea Party, to most people in other countries they don't exist.

I supported the Tea Party in the beginning, but they lost my support with their high ratio of racism, lunacy and right-wing stupidity soon after they started. The Tea Party failed to achieve anything, they didn't branch out to speak to the world, they didn't even speak for the average American, and they allowed themselves to be bought out by corporate republican interests.

The Tea Party was indeed a storm in a teacup. The OWS movement has inspired a generation to look at the world and their politics differently, and protesters around the world have achieved a move toward a democratic way of life that would have been unimaginable just months before.

TIME got it right.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I'm surprised there wasn't a single "Guy Fawkes" mask in the whole article.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What do you expect?
It's Time magazine for God's sake.

They always give it to the person they are indirectly controlling to push their long term agenda.
It's a form of reward to let them know they are right on schedule.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Interesting point...
didn't think of it that way, but I think you might be right... unfortunately

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Seeing as how "from the Arab spring to Athens, from Wall Street to Moscow" has all been orchestrated this isn't all that suprising coming from the media conglomerate Time Warner.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I always new I would be on the front of time magazine one day.

2nd line

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Time magazine is a rag with an agenda. I don't consider it to be a true sorce of information. Time Magazine person of the year is a staple, just something that takes place every year. I wonder if this is their biggest selling issue of the year?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Yeah! Protest! Anarchy! Hate! Violence! That's what the world needs more of!

Protesting = hate, anarchy & violence!?!?

Only from those attempting to preserve "order"...

What happened to the Kenobi clan's legendary wisdom?

Oh, and I know how to make roll-y eyes, too!

Sweet. I'm now cool, also.

edit on 12/14/11 by RoswellCityLimits because: spelling

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Booooo!

They should have chosen Bouazizi, he's the guy that started this whole thing.

He's a hero.

It's too bad that everyone seems to have forgotten him!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch

Originally posted by ltinycdancerg
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

I'm lovin it McDonald's style

But I do think Steve Jobs deserved it also, all things considering.

Dont you think it is odd that people make such a big deal about Steve Jobs?
I think it says alot about the world that we celebrate a guy like Steve Jobs.
He was the enemy. And to put him in the same company as Edison is crazy if you ask me.
All he did was steal ideas,buy out the competition and rebrand existing technology. He may have been ggreat at exploiting people but I think we should forget about him. He stood for everything the protesters are against,even if some of them dont see that.
I think the 'protester' is a far more deserving winner of 'person of the year.

Yes, I think that is odd, or at least very sad. Thank you for bringing that up!

The way he presented his 'inventions' like they would turn the world into some kind of paradise where everyone would be 'connected' at all times and in all ways, were actually quite disturbing to me. If there is one thing that is standing in the way of some much needed real connections between people, it is the whole hype around the technology his company created: i-this, i-that... it's all about individuality. Somewhere in our very recent history we kissed the idea that we are all brothers and sisters goodbye and let the ego reign. In my opinion that is the most important and fundamental mistake we made as a species. I am not against new technology, but I am very much against worshipping a piece of plastic nobody really needs, and that costs more than it would take to feed a starving family in a third world country for a year. In this country, kids have been killed for their i-pod... If that doesn't wake people up, what will?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I don't think they would say that unless there was something up their sleeve. Since when has the MSM ever paid attention to the important issues we all discuss on here? The fact that they are going with it says a lot, to me. Why would TPTB allow their MSM to glamorize massive protests? Maybe to get as many "domestic terrorists" as possible to come out of the woodwork, to more easily identify them? Who knows.

U

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

The Computer 1982

You're doing it wrong.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Time always has different front covers for different parts of the world.

This is what the rest of the world will see.

Western Hemisphere

Eastern Hemisphere

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Well I think that is a great concept. I must admit that I do not like the cover however.

Though the cover graphics are conducive, I much prefer this image :

homework.northport.k12.ny.us...

I don't know the title of this painting/image but it was the only one I could find in a quick search.

I guess it is about "Time" to give another culture some credit.
S&F
edit on 14-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: S&F

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Wow, you've really taken that bait haven't you.

All the protests have been generated by paid groups, and in the case of Libya then further hijacked by an Al-Qaida led rebellion, paid for by US taxpayers.

This all smells, like Casius mentioned, like a motivational tool to keep the protests going.

And the guys who killed OBL....Really? I mean, for one, there's no evidence they killed OBL. Chances are OBL died of sickness many years ago OR he isn't even dead. That would be like awarding Obama the Nobel peace prize.
edit on 14-12-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
In a word...sad.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Hate these generalized awards.

Pick a man, and name him man of the year. Stop being lazy.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join