It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists develop an Ultrafast Camera that records at the Speed of Light - WOW !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This is just soooooo beyond cool

Honestly, just how brilliant is this latest invention that can record INDIVIDUAL photons in a beam of light as it travels a given distance. Surely this must be pushing the envelope for ultra-fast detection of extremely high speed events

MIT researchers have developed a data acquisition device (aka camera) that can capture visual data at a rate of ONE TRILLION exposures per second. This is more than fast enough to capture a beam of light as it travels the length of a 1 litre bottle, reflects of the cap and travels back down the length of the bottle again.

Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) have developed an imaging system that can acquire visual data at a rate of one trillion exposures per second–fast enough to produce a slow-motion video of a burst of light traveling the length of a one-liter bottle, bouncing off the cap and reflecting back to the bottle’s bottom.

Source: Ultrafast Camera

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
WOW...
Just wow. Imagine the implications!
sweet find OP

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Very interesting progress. Now we might actually see what we have been imagining all these years! It's good to know that at least technology is progressing and producing marvelous results. S&F, great find OP!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Good stuff.....scientific knowledge is growing rapidly and wish I was here over 200 years...

But why are all these geniuses at US universities talking with an accent..?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Pretty awesome! But leave it to a bunch of MIT geniuses to mount the power strip above their experiment and have half a dozen power cords hanging down in front of it. Sigh.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Great find!

This could open up soooo many new doorways!

Couldnt they use this to find better evidnce of the bison particle?

With this technology, they should be able to find the answers to just about.. well.. everything about light! ok.. Not everything, but alot!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

wait wait wait.. If nothing moves faster than the speed of light, how exactly does it take pictures faster than light?

...rewatching video! doh!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn

wait wait wait.. If nothing moves faster than the speed of light, how exactly does it take pictures faster than light?

Are you serious?
The camera isn't moving faster than light

the camera isn't moving faster than the speed of light, it's slowing down the movements of it.
MY god, why does everything on here have to be a conspiracy

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Observation can move faster than the the speed of light.

Imagine 10 of those suckers pointed at the same object but timed just 1/10th apart. Merge the images into one stream and you could have on hell of a high speed camera array.

Oh yea .. feelings and emotions can travel instantly ..

Nice Vid non the less heheeh

JG.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Maybe we get these guys to record the supposed neutrinos said to have traveled faster than c and settle the thing once and for all?

So Am I to understand the 500 sensors timed a trillionth of a second apart continuously detect or is it basically one crack at recording per whatever the detection phase lasts? I'll have to listen to the vid when I can, the text was abbreviated.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
It is innovations like this that remind me that we are truly living in the future.

Flat touch screen media devices. Check.
Global information network. Check.
Hands free computer interface. Check.
Robots operating on other planets. Check.

Although they aren't all improvements for the better.

Robot assassins patrolling the skies. Check.
Widespread capability to eavesdrop and track the population. Check.
Ability of a contagion to become pandemic because of global travel. Check.

Could you image if Newton or Einstein had the opportunity to access data like this?

While I must admit that at times most talk of the Singularity comes across as nothing but the Nerd Rapture, at the rate we are progressing, maybe 'ol Kurzweil is right.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

What a great bit of technology!!!
BUT-Its pointing the wrong way;
Rig that sucker up to the Hubble,and point it into deep space.
THAT is the way to find advanced alien life zipping about in their FTL ships!

Do it MIT,please!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rationalistswagger

Are you serious?
The camera isn't moving faster than light

the camera isn't moving faster than the speed of light, it's slowing down the movements of it.
MY god, why does everything on here have to be a conspiracy

... No... Are YOU serious?

I said nothing about a conspiracy. So stuff it chum...

I'm asking a legit question. I WANT TO BLOODY KNOW HOW. If you dont know the answer, no biggie. But dont come at me with this conspiracy BS. I'm NOT a conspiracy theorist..

edit on 14-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I'm asking a legit question. I WANT TO BLOODY KNOW HOW.

I believe this is the video you are looking for, as it explains how they produce the shots.

edit on 14-12-2011 by LordOfArcadia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

Thanks for the input Jad, and Illustronic! That gives me a bit more understanding on how they're able to do that.

What confuses me though.. Even with sensors spead so close, it seems that if nothing travels faster than light (as we understand it, except for X), how is it possible to have those sensors working in a series like that? Surely electricity powering them would not travel faster than light. But... I think I can grasp that the sensors would be pre powered so that makes sense. Still, it's hard to imagine data moving just as fast to be able to keep up with light. Yet, I see him moving the mirror with his hands.

I get what you guys are saying, I'm still a lil confused though, in a manner in which I cant explain. With hopes, there will be more info available from you guys that could shed some light on my confusion.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

Thanks Lord! I finaly get it! lol!!

I checked the video looking for more info anyways, but it's still the same vid brotha. Sok though, had to watch it yet another time to figure it out. Still, it helped by saving me to have to go back to the top to rewatch. haha

edit on 14-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
This is seriously amazing camera. I wonder if they would combine this with a microscope. To really zoom in on those light particles. Wonder what that would look like.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffeeMonster
WOW...
Just wow. Imagine the implications!
sweet find OP

Yep!

GHOST HUNTING!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Excellent find OP. Credit for having a video.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This, as the OP says, is very cool! Wow!

But I have a question; how big is a photon?

In the video, do we see the effect of only one photon or of a condensed flock of photons? ( I know... Light source is a laser, still... )

Now imagine taking a picture of a moving object with this technology!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join