It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punk's not dead, it's just gone to moral rehab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

www.abc.net.au

Indonesian sharia police are "morally rehabilitating" more than 60 young punk rock fans in Aceh province on Sumatra island, saying the youths are tarnishing the province's image.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a friend linked me to this. whats your opinions and reactions? haha i was in "shouting at the screen" mode.
I feel really bad for them! plus the gig was for a good cause! dont know what else to say other than ... WHERES MY PASSPORT!
(first thread be gentle with me) peace! ps.. maybe old johnny rotten will go stand by them give the coppers a good tellin off! (if only)

www.abc.net.au

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm surprised they were allowed to be any bit aggressive.
Punk has REALLY died down since I was younger.

Now I'm not from some little surburban town with a fake punk scene, I'm from Montreal and we had a WILD scene.
We helped a lot of good causes while having a great time.

Ocasionally I'll go to a local show now if I happen to be downtown at night, and its just not the same at all.
All the kids are straight and hardly move.. they dont know how to have fun.

RIP punk
(I tried to find the one with the intro from the album but no luck)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrBlueSky

www.abc.net.au

Indonesian sharia police are "morally rehabilitating" more than 60 young punk rock fans in Aceh province on Sumatra island, saying the youths are tarnishing the province's image.

indonesian sharia police ?? tha phawque ??? they be doin some whack #e to these kids ,
now cutting someone's hair definitely isn't cool with me, however true punk impostors know
punk is more than a hairstyle .

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84

Now I'm not from some little surburban town with a fake punk scene, I'm from Montreal and we had a WILD scene.

Ocasionally I'll go to a local show now if I happen to be downtown at night, and its just not the same at all.

RIP punk

thanks for the song , unfortunately unviewable in germany due to umg(actually , gema . find the difference) claiming territorial pissings .what you said about kids at shows just standing around like [insert your favourite animal here] , preferably recording everything on a 500$ phone instead of slowly gently oozingly grooving to hardcore punk music ... man i had the exact same feeling during the few occasions i got to experience live music . true story .
edit on 14-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

epic tune ma man!! yeah im 25 the now and punks nothing now! all straight edge etc i went to a few shows the pistols done with my dad and a bunch of his punk pals was crazy!!! they were all rippin on me cause i was a "punk virgin" so in the middle of drinking my guiness my dad sed to one of them with safety pins all over his jacket "aye!? gees that pin" and without me knowing shoved it thro my ear! "hes no a punk virgin any more!" lolol then the punks couldnt beleive what they had witnessed and not wanting to be outdone starting peircing themselves! was an epic night really opened my eyes!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoB420

Originally posted by Fishticon84

RIP punk

thanks for the song , unfortunately unviewable in germany due to umg(actually , gema . find the difference) claiming territorial pissings .what you said about kids at shows just standing around like [insert your favourite animal here] , preferably recording everything on a 500$ phone instead of slowly gently oozingly grooving to hardcore punk music ... man i had the exact same feeling during the few occasions i got to experience live music . true story .

I dont know this law in Germany that doesn't let you listen to the song but it does sound like stupid law because I'm in Canada and can listen to as much Oxymoron as I want lol.

Yeah thats the other thing about shows today, all the kids are using their phones.
I remember back in the day there were very few kids with phones and the ones that did have phones didn't go to punk shows and they were the type of kids you would meet in an alley for like 5 seconds.
Then later on I remember one of my friends getting a phone and it was just mind-boggling to me why one would need a telephone at a concert.

Things sure have changed. Now we live in a world of tech-zombies who are being monitored and then cops who want to silence us until we have to take it all to the digital world where no one gets hurt or experiences REAL life.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrBlueSky

epic tune ma man!! yeah im 25 the now and punks nothing now! all straight edge etc i went to a few shows the pistols done with my dad and a bunch of his punk pals was crazy!!! they were all rippin on me cause i was a "punk virgin" so in the middle of drinking my guiness my dad sed to one of them with safety pins all over his jacket "aye!? gees that pin" and without me knowing shoved it thro my ear! "hes no a punk virgin any more!" lolol then the punks couldnt beleive what they had witnessed and not wanting to be outdone starting peircing themselves! was an epic night really opened my eyes!

Awww man that sounds like a wild time for sure! and what a kool dad you got.

Punk and Guinness makes for an awesome night, always

But here its around $10.00 a glass lol so obviously punk venues dont serve that.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

yeah , true punk rock music wouldn't fit into our modern world imo .
just look at the charts oh man its getting more and more ridiculous every day ,
i wish i had been a teen in the 60s , 70s , 80s or 90s but the time after that really seems to .. lack something .

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Punk is alive and well here in the UK

Lot's of the old bands touring and recording new music.
And there's plenty of decent young bands about.

And we all know Punk is much more than a Mohican and a razor blade...it's a state of mind and attitude.

Punk's Not Dead!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

jeebus!!! ten dollars!?!?!?! thank the rock godz i live in glasgow scotland!! £2.50 a pint haha!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

My husband is an Old School Punk, he hung out in Toronto and some of the stories he has told me are amazing. His Idol is John Lydon he saw him a couple of times when he was younger touring with PIL.

I called him over to check this thread out and he immediately knew the song and told me that the Toronto gang would head up to Montreal at time and vice versa to see the shows.

He also agrees with you about kids these days, a couple of weeks ago we went to see a Slipknot tribute band and after watching the kids just standing around he just dove in and started his own little group slam-dancing.

I really didn't know much about the Punk scene until I met him, had we met when we were younger we might not even have met, growing up in the 70's I was more on the hold over flower child scene listening to Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix Janis Joplin etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

And we all know Punk is much more than a Mohican and a razor blade...it's a state of mind and attitude.

Punk's Not Dead!

Punk will always be alive in the UK.
You guys bleed punk.

No one messes with the barmy army lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

im with you man! just here in glasgow the now i never hear any new punk bands about its all screamo indy metal ! i was asked to be in a punk band recently ... they talked the talk ! but when we were harrassed outside the studios by neds (chavs) they all put their heads down and left me to fend for myself! not very punk! so ive felt a little let down recently haha

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

interesting point , maybe one could say as different as various youth cultures may appear at first , hippies , punks , ravers , junglist people , hiphopping bunnies , goa-festival attendants , well they all do embrace some sort of common concept which i perceive as being the creation of an environment far from the regular establishment where people can forget about all the troubles in the world and just be happy and frikin dance their butts off for a few hours.
speaking of values , morals or visual appearences all these youth cultures vary greatly though . or maybe not

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

thats amazin!! ive been trying to start a punk band for years now but no one is into it! and i cant play the "one man band" set myself
haha if you dont know what that is , its a kick drum on your back cymbals on yer knees! while playing the guitar with a harmonica haha come to think of it i used to see people play them in glasgow city centre 20 years ago when i was 5 .... dont see them any more ... just think the new generation will never feel the excitement of finding money in a pay phone! and when im older and have grandkids i can tell them im older than the internet!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre

My husband is an Old School Punk, he hung out in Toronto and some of the stories he has told me are amazing. His Idol is John Lydon he saw him a couple of times when he was younger touring with PIL.

I called him over to check this thread out and he immediately knew the song and told me that the Toronto gang would head up to Montreal at time and vice versa to see the shows.

He also agrees with you about kids these days, a couple of weeks ago we went to see a Slipknot tribute band and after watching the kids just standing around he just dove in and started his own little group slam-dancing.

I really didn't know much about the Punk scene until I met him, had we met when we were younger we might not even have met, growing up in the 70's I was more on the hold over flower child scene listening to Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix Janis Joplin etc.

Thats kool. Yeah punk rockers always have the best stories

And since he probably doesn't remember all of them all the time, I'm sure you get to hear a good "new" story once in a while.

I never got to go to Toronto for a punk show but I heard they had a great scene there and I always remember meeting people here that came down here from Toronto for the summer.
Certain bands like St-Catherine's and Red Alert would play here more often and probably cheaper shows.

Kool on him for trying to rile those zombies up.
I gave it a shot at a Blessed By a Broken Heart (lol not my choice there, chick wanted to go) show.
The kids looked terrified LOL and I thought I was going to break them, they're so skinny and pale.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Give them Minor Threat. Can't keep Ian down!! Go to the roots of punk

The band that opened the door for me

Punk Good!! Sharia Law Bad!! Saudi Arabia just decapitated a woman accused of sorcery the other day. All in the name of Sharia Law!!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Punk's Not Dead!

that is just straight uplifting to hear , thank you , i feel envy for you even though i know i shouldnt , because where i live well people get really excited if a "slipknot cover band" comes along and are much more inclined to engage in aforementioned passive behaviour (coverbands , especially of only one particular band i find extreeeeemely lame . not always , but quite often they lack something a "musician" should have imo) nothing compared to videos of live shows by bands like black flag or bad brains or some "rougher" nirvana songs . people be jumpin all over each other highly inebriated while still displaying the common sense of not hurting each other . or at least they try ...
what are your experiences on the matter ?
that's the kind of vibe i got from watching oldskool punk vids (and continue to get), they've always been a major inspiration for me even though my language might reflect ive been listening to too much hip-hop as of lately

my skin isn't tanned even though i sometimes write the way i would imagine a person of african descent writing .
racism is one of the things i hate the most about us humans , nothing in this text was meant to be racist in any way whatsoever . i see this website mostly as training for testing out various lyrical styles and the reactions each style gets .

peace brothers and sisters were all in this together

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MrBlueSky

Yeah I know what a kick drum. According to hubby he saw Trent Reznor when he first started out and from his description he played something like that along with recorded back ups.

He actually started his own band back then and people would camp out on his front lawn. Sounds like it was fun. He has some of the tunes recorded so I've gotten to hear them.

Hehe and yeah I know what you mean about older than the internet.

On as side note my hubby originally was from the UK he's a Geordie

new topics

<<   2 >>

join