It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Republicans trying to raise my taxes?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It's because the Republicans, as a whole, despise the middle class (even your average [self hating] middle class Republican voter, with dreams of one day being in the 1% [thanks right wing media!], hates the middle class).

Plain and simple. You need to be either hyper wealthy or an unborn fetus in order for them to actually fight for you.

Anything in between and it's "PULL YOURSELF UP BY YOUR BOOTSTRAPS!".

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The hilarious part is, people still buy into the whole "GOP stands for lower taxes"

In reality, they're only interested in lowering taxes for the top 1%...or top 0.5% if Cain's tax plan would have been successful. And guess what, lowering the taxes of the top 1% means you have to make up for it somewhere else. And that "somewhere else" is the middle class and the poor.

You'd have to be a complete moron to vote for the GOP unless you belong to the top 1%...or unless you're a bigot who simply votes for them to make sure "important" stuff like gay marriage and calling Xmas "Xmas" instead of "holiday" gets discussed

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The ignorance in these threads never fails to astound me. Yes, the tax cuts only lower taxes for people who are making money and paying taxes. There is no such thing as a tax cut for the bottom 50%. The bottom 50% account for 3% of all income tax. Any tax cut is automatically pretty much only going to apply to the top 50%. People like me, the "Middle Class". I'm one of the millions of Americans paying federal taxes to pay for government salaries, federal programs, and entitlements. So when federal taxes go up, which they are scheduled to do Jan 1st, it means I will have to redo the budget for my family of 4 and something will have to be cut.

I don't want anyone's taxes to go up, be it the top 50% or the top 1%. The govt is so corrupt and wasteful why give them more???

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
This thread shows the hypocrisy of the Republican party. When it came to extending the Bush tax cuts, all their rhetoric was about "job creators", and "tax cuts pay for themselves", but when it comes to tax cuts for the lower classes they do an about-face. Billionaire donors and the wealthiest corporations OWN the Republican party.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe because the payroll taxcut is wrong? There are few things I agree with the right on but this is absolutely one of them. The payroll taxcut is not your income tax it is the tax you pay for Social Security, which when cut means less funds going to Social Security. If you want the rewards of the program to exist then you have to accept your part of the responsibility and pay for it. The cut didn't help much overall and further diminished SS, there is no real point in continuing it. It is a cut that should never have been give to begin with, and the left is now using it shamefully as a political game.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why are Republicans trying to raise my taxes?

Because you are not a Millionaire.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
By the way...If you have any doubt where they stand on the issue.

THe GOP Leader of the Senate today actually blocked a vote on the Bill that the GOP House passed on the measure...so even with crazy stuff tacked on - skip the EPA on the XL Pipeline, allow more mercury in the water, allow drug testing for unemplyment benefits, lower the amount of time people can get unemployment...even with all of that..., the GOP Senate refused to even vote on the bill that the GOP in the House sent to them.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) on Wednesday objected to a Democratic request to vote on a House-passed extension of the payroll-tax holiday, citing concerns about a possible government shutdown.

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) said McConnell blocked a vote on the bill because Republican senators did not want to take a stance on controversial provisions in the bill, such as requiring the recipients of unemployment benefits to take drug tests.

thehill.com...

Get it yet? They have finally found a way to pay for the Bush Era tax breaks for millionaires....By raising taxes on the rest of us.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Harry Reid is the leader of the senate.

It has a majority of democrats.

I haven't seen this much contortion since the last Jackie Chan flick!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Indigo5

Which is why I stated the

"The GOP Leader of the Senate today..."

If you would like to call him the Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R) you can do that as well...Or the GOP Leader in the Senate..or if still confused perhaps actually read the articles?

McConnell blocks Senate vote on House payroll-tax-cut package
thehill.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

He's then dragging it out so that the final vote will have to be On this version of the bill. That means that republicans can blame the tax increase on the democrats who will vote against it.

Dirty tricks?
Perhaps.

Politics as usual?

Most definitely.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

It has a majority of democrats.

I haven't seen this much contortion since the last Jackie Chan flick!

Call a spade a spade. You seem like an intelligent fellow. The primary reason the GOP are holding up this extension (as I spelled out in my early comment) is that they do not want to give the President "a win". The exact arguments used by Dems last year on extending the Bush tax cuts to top earners is being used by the GOP this year on the payroll tax extension.

This isn't about about who is right or wrong, it is about politics. I have personally met and spoken with McConnell on a few different occasions and the one thing anyone can say about the guy is that he is one shrewd political calculator. In fact, I have never met anyone with such a mechanical like intensity when it comes to political world.

This is about 2012 and unfortunately the middle class and working poor are the ones at risk.

If you doubt my belief that this fight is political and not ideological, notice how little you hear any member of the GOP mention Norquist. They see the handwriting on the wall, they are just hoping to sink Obama before being forced to do what everyone knows that will happen in the long run.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordOfArcadia

See my latest post. You may find yourself in agreement with me.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

He's then dragging it out so that the final vote will have to be On this version of the bill.

He is delaying the vote because despite what he has claimed, he doesn't have the votes to pass it in the senate. There are GOP Senators who would rather not go on record voting for a bill that raises the amount of mercury allowed in drinking water and allows states to require drug tests for people to collect unemployment. Not to mention circumventing the EPA on the Pipeline that runs through a few GOP Senators states.

So this bill WILL NOT pass the Senate now or in a week or two from now.

The only difference is if he stalls, waits to the last minute, and the bill is voted down as it most certainly will be...there will be no time for an alternate bill.

No tax break for the middle class.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

You see, most every politician has this problem..they say one thing, when the actually intend to do something completely different.

Everyday is opposite day for Mitt & Newt.

But really, lets stop blaming just one party. Both sides have exponentially fudged things up beyond comprehension.

One more reason we need the honesty broker, Ron Paul, in office.

No my friend, this has nothing to do with Ron Paul or that whole "both parties do it" mantra. This is Republican specific. They all signed a pledge not to raise taxes. The pledge actually states that they agree to not raise taxes on the top most earners but should raise taxes on the less fortunate. That is the reality of the Republican pledge to a guy named after a muppet who is in no posiion of power.
Then the Republicans use the line that Obama wants to raise YOUR taxes and they are against raising any taxes and yet here Obama is actually trying to lower taxes on lower income earners and the "No tax raises ever for any reason" Republicans are fighting it.
This is a side issue.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

They are not fighting the payroll tax cut.

Yes they are.

They are fighting the tax increase to pay for it.

Tax increase on whom to pay for what again? Oh, right tax cuts.
Who is fighting this increased tax and can you be more specic.

But please, apply more distortion and rhetoric.
(I hear MSNBC is hiring)

I think you pretty much took care of that for me.

ETA: What does MSNBC have to do with anything here other than to further demonstrat what you post is mainly regurgitataed rumor.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
was there this much bickering about how we were gonna pay for the god awful amount the bank bailouts amounted to??? just wondering!!
that is the greatest of all hypocrisies out there!! oh, we can't afford the small payroll tax cut...oh, we can't afford the pay the military people, oh, we can't afford!!!
what?? our banking buddies are in trouble??? quick!! give me a checkbook! oh, oh....there isn't enough room on the check for all those zeros!! how do spell quadzillion again???

the always seem to find the money for wars, they seem to find the money for fema camps, they seem to find the money for a million and one things that most of us either don't want, or have no interest in whatsoever!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

Originally posted by dannotz
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

You see, most every politician has this problem..they say one thing, when the actually intend to do something completely different.

Everyday is opposite day for Mitt & Newt.

But really, lets stop blaming just one party. Both sides have exponentially fudged things up beyond comprehension.

One more reason we need the honesty broker, Ron Paul, in office.

No my friend, this has nothing to do with Ron Paul or that whole "both parties do it" mantra. This is Republican specific. They all signed a pledge not to raise taxes. The pledge actually states that they agree to not raise taxes on the top most earners but should raise taxes on the less fortunate. That is the reality of the Republican pledge to a guy named after a muppet who is in no posiion of power.
Then the Republicans use the line that Obama wants to raise YOUR taxes and they are against raising any taxes and yet here Obama is actually trying to lower taxes on lower income earners and the "No tax raises ever for any reason" Republicans are fighting it.
This is a side issue.

Oh, so I guess you're just ignoring all those times Obama said he wouldn't raise taxes on middle class? Or the one about Earmarks? That one was a laugh.

Here, have a whole list of lies and sources:
List of Obama Lies

How can you trust what this man even says when he can't remember how many states are even in the Union?

In my opinion, this game of monopoly is coming to an end and needs to be restarted.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
The Republican Party is a great scapegoat and it amazes me how many people, some who are very poor, in this country think they are great. But the Democrats are pretty heinous as well, even if they are less open about it. Almost every politician in DC wants to extend tax cuts for the rich and raise taxes on the poor, but only the Republicans come out and attempt it openly. It's not about party, it's about money. My advice, while to point out to your Republican acquaintances the hypocrisy of the Republican party's actions so they'll stop voting for those shills, is to keep in mind the greed and ulterior motives that many high-up Democrats have - the Democrats pretend to support the poor while maintaining inequality between the rich and the poor, because their feigned support for their poor makes the poor trust them and continue voting for them, and then once the Dems are in power, their backroom deals and continued support of big banks screws all of us.

edit on 12/14/2011 by spacekc929 because: (no reason given)

Uh....no.

The Republicans are the only party that have been bragging for years now about how they are the only party that wants to lower, not raise taxes. That is their entire gameplan. They signed that stupid ass pledge which actually promises to raise taxes on the poor in order to lower taxes on the rich. When you have that same kind of obvious play against the vast majority of the people in this country from the Dems, U2U me about that thread.
This one is pretty specific.
Their whole deal has been to hold up anything Obama wants to do on the basis that it might raise taxes on the rich. Their flagship is their promise to either keep taxes low or lower them more. They are the ones that fought to try and raise taxes on the poor and middle class in this country all while promising to never raise taxes at all.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Talk about your disinfo!

The longer we waste time arguing about one party versus the other, the longer THEY win. Because they're ALL a bunch of privileged fat cats stealing from YOU.

Yes, all polticians are crooks. I look forward to your thread on that. This one is about the Republican party that signed a pledge promising to raise taxes on the poor in order to cut them for the rich and have been running around claiming they are against raises any taxes on anyone.
The Democrats are not doing that specific thing that this thread is about.
Thank you for trying to defend your party but you failed because all you did was toss an empty attack at the other side instead of offering an actual argument.

I am still waiting to find out what I presented was disinfo?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Fact.
The payroll tax cut expires on December 31st.

Fact.
There are two ways to continue it.
1. Increase taxes on the wealthy- propogating more class warfare and redistribution of wealth
2. Decrease government spending to pay for it.

I can't make it any simpler.

Fact:
The Bush Tax cuts expired once already.

Fact:
There are a few ways to continue that.
1. Increase taxes on the poor- propogating more class warfare and more redistribution of wealth.
2. Decrease government spending to pay for it.

Do you have any clue what kind of numbers we are even comparing here?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join