It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Republicans trying to raise my taxes?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
What happened to that anti-tax stance? What happened to Taxed Enough Already? What happened to that pledge to some guy name Grover? Why are the Republicans fighting the payroll tax cut? It amounts to noticable number of dollars a week out of my paycheck. I do not understand why the Bush tax cuts were fought for tooth and nail to be extended and yet this tax that helps oh just about the other 99% of us needs to be stopped. Can anyone explain to me this Republican 180?

It seems clear to me that they fight for tax cuts for only the rich and want the rest of us to pay more of our income in taxes. I cannot see any other way to read this.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Because they should really be called the Corporate Party?
Because they blatantly represent the corporations and don't give a crap about any of us.

Democrats are the same, but at least they pretend to support the little man. How anyone can support the Republicans who isn't a millionaire is beyond me. No, it's not, two words: widespread propaganda.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
They'll bend over backwards to make sure the wealthiest 1% get their Bush tax cuts extended, but when it comes to a tax cut for the working middle class - no dice. We can't afford that tax cut.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

You see, most every politician has this problem..they say one thing, when the actually intend to do something completely different.

Everyday is opposite day for Mitt & Newt.

But really, lets stop blaming just one party. Both sides have exponentially fudged things up beyond comprehension.

One more reason we need the honesty broker, Ron Paul, in office.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
They are not fighting the payroll tax cut.

They are fighting the tax increase to pay for it.

But please, apply more distortion and rhetoric.
(I hear MSNBC is hiring)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The Republican Party is a great scapegoat and it amazes me how many people, some who are very poor, in this country think they are great. But the Democrats are pretty heinous as well, even if they are less open about it. Almost every politician in DC wants to extend tax cuts for the rich and raise taxes on the poor, but only the Republicans come out and attempt it openly. It's not about party, it's about money. My advice, while to point out to your Republican acquaintances the hypocrisy of the Republican party's actions so they'll stop voting for those shills, is to keep in mind the greed and ulterior motives that many high-up Democrats have - the Democrats pretend to support the poor while maintaining inequality between the rich and the poor, because their feigned support for their poor makes the poor trust them and continue voting for them, and then once the Dems are in power, their backroom deals and continued support of big banks screws all of us.

edit on 12/14/2011 by spacekc929 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Talk about your disinfo!

The longer we waste time arguing about one party versus the other, the longer THEY win. Because they're ALL a bunch of privileged fat cats stealing from YOU.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

What kind of double-think speaking is that? "They're fighting the tax increase to pay for the tax cut". WUT?
So what "tax increase" paid for the Bush tax cuts? The only reason the Republicans don't want a payroll tax cut is we are the ones PAYING for the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

What kind of double-think speaking is that? "They're fighting the tax increase to pay for the tax cut". WUT?
So what "tax increase" paid for the Bush tax cuts? The only reason the Republicans don't want a payroll tax cut is we are the ones PAYING for the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest.

Fact.
The payroll tax cut expires on December 31st.

Fact.
There are two ways to continue it.
1. Increase taxes on the wealthy- propogating more class warfare and redistribution of wealth
2. Decrease government spending to pay for it.

I can't make it any simpler.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Fact.

Fact.
1. Increase taxes on the wealthy- propogating more class warfare and redistribution of wealth

What you are saying then is that the Republicans are favoring the rich, preferring to keep their money out of the hands of the government than the money of the poor, because if they preferred to let the payroll tax cut expire instead of raising taxes on the rich, then they are effectively raising taxes on the poor instead of on the rich, if you see what I am saying. The taxes are going to get taken, but Congress prefers, when at all possible, to take that money from the poor instead of from the rich.

Class warfare? You've gotta be kidding me. The only ones with casualties are the poor. More like class genocide if you ask me. You can keep on harping about "redistribution of wealth" but if I were you I'd take a critical look at whose wealth is actually being redistributed and into what hands, and you would see that the rich are the ones making the bank right now while we all suffer...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

Actually it's the democrats that are going to punish the middle class.

Right now, the bill has passed the House and is to the Senate. The current bill wants to cut government spending to pay for the continued tax cuts.
If the Senate doesn't vote for it, then they will, in effect, cause the taxes to increase. And the democrats don't want to cut spending to pay for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But you don't have to pay for tax cuts! They pay for themselves by spurring economic growth!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl
reply to post by beezzer

But you don't have to pay for tax cuts! They pay for themselves by spurring economic growth!

Ideally, they do. But in this economic atmosphere?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So lowering taxes to raise revenue won't work at the moment?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Not all Republicans are against the pay roll tax cuts.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

Republicans aren't trying to raise your payroll taxes. They're opposed to the Democrats' proposed offset of raising taxes on higher income earners. Its a standard Democrat political maneuver. They take a popular piece of legislation and tack on something extra that they know the GOP will be forced to reject, and then claim the GOP opposes the original piece of legislation as well.

Meanwhile, the GOP just passed their own bill through the House that would maintain the current payroll tax cuts. Of course, they've also taken a page from the Dems playbook and loaded it with measures that they can't support, either.

At the end of the day, the important thing is that both parties want to retain the payroll tax cut. They *will* reach a deal...but not before each side plays their fair share of political games with it. Don''t fall for it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

So lowering taxes to raise revenue won't work at the moment?

That only works when you lower taxes on the rich, er, job crea, er, campaign donors.

Simple economics

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Of course firing government employes to pay for it seems redundant to me.
A lot of people will quit their jobs anyway, facing this suddenly increased tax burden, right?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Of course firing government employes to pay for it seems redundant to me.
A lot of people will quit their jobs anyway, facing this suddenly increased tax burden, right?

So this thread stopped being about blaming republicans and instead now turns to the value of tax cuts?

I guess tax cuts are valuable when you can use it to blame another party.

But when the democrats are responsible for raising taxes, then it becomes a good thing?

This thread reeks of hypocracy.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Fact.

Fact.

It is a gross simplification to state there is only a binary choice of either raising revenue or decreasing spending to pay for the payroll tax cut. There are numerous other option, granted most are bookkeeping tricks, but the most obvious third option is the one Speaker Boehner advocated last year when discussing extending the far more costly Bush tax cuts. Borrow the money to pay for them.

They argued that the $2.02 Trillion cost of the permanent extension was necessary despite the fact that they were not "paid for" because. to quote Speaker Boehner

I do believe that we've got to get more money in the hands of small businesses and American families to get our economy going again.

This handy graphic shows the percentage that those tax cuts added to the deficit.

I am not here to claim that the Democrats are knights in shining armor but I don't think it is hypocrisy for the OP to call out the hypocrisy of the Republicans current position.

There are two major (but not the only) factors that make this fight different than last year's fight. One, we are approaching the presidential election and the Republicans do not want to give the President a "win" and Two, the payroll tax cuts don't help the highest earners.

This is a game of chicken, unfortunately the Republicans aren't driving their own car, but one borrowed by the poor and the middle class, so they aren't too concerned if they ding it up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join