It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
reply to post by Erno86

I've said it before and Ill say it again.....the main reason for the Ice melting in Northern latitudes is NOT because of global warming.....the world is actually cooling.

What melts the ice is soot from pollution that our civilisations spews into the air. Soot settles on the ice is is much more heat absorbing then carbon Dioxide is or anything else the propaganda machines try and tell you.

This is true and false. There is soot landing on previously pristine high-albedo ice, and contributing to local warming and melting.

However, there is also warming from enhanced greenhouse gases and especially the polar areas are warming even when there isn't soot, such as on the water. The "propaganda machines" are actually known as experimental instrumentation. The increase in greenhouse effect has been measured quantitatively with satellites. It is not theory, it is fact. It is physically impossible as a consequence for the climate not to change.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Epsillion70

Soooooooo funny but if methane is so dangerous maybe we will soon be locked up for farting and adding to the problem or even taxed for farting. Think now is the time to invent charcoal underpants lol

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It's amazing how many idiots have become virtual mouthpieces for ExxonMobil, BP, Conoco, et al.
The $billions big oil has spent convincing the feeble minded that climate change is fiction is by far
the major reason we have not as yet addressed this issue in any meaningful fashion.

It's really sad how many people in this forum are actually working against their best interests,
and working for big oil... and when GW becomes an absolute certainty, when it's too late to do
anything, you can thank yourselves for gambling away our future so we can continue to burn the last
of the planets fossil fuels.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Same goes for the north canadian lands, which are frozen year round and contain masses of methane.... can't seem to find the specific article, but I'm sure a quick search and anyone could verify that methane is more dangerous than CO2 when it comes to green house gases.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by arufon

Most people see this as not a problem for another 100 years, so why bother trying to do something now. They pretend to care for their children and grandchildren, but they don't, because if they did, you would do something now before it is too late.

As long as enough people are living good off the system, they aren't going to do anything to change it. They are going to defend this system until they die, or things get really bad.

Too bad that future generations are going to pay for our folly.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So lets build a huge heavy box; with no floor; weighted around the lower outside edges with flexable material filled with sand/lead or something else... and hosing attached to the top, then drop it over the methane leak on the sea bed... Then release it at a controled rate into tanker vessels. Then if it gets cold because of an "ice age" we could use it to "heat things up"; if we need to by burning it for fuel to run our electrical grids etc etc...

We should also build suits to withstand cold weather with gas masks/ helmets (like space suits) to operate in extreme cold weather incase an ice age ever occurs.

One single person can generate alot of heat, why don't we create a type of "thread" that can transfer bio heat into electricity so we can run basic computers/ communications within the suit... Oh yeah, you can also use the same tech from the hand crank generators (the crank up flash lights etc) and build the same tech into the suit at all the joints of the suit; so that when the person moves any joint, it generates electricity... Even when simply breathing, our chest is expanding and contracting so by using methods like this, we could transfer the natural biological movement into mechanical energy.

By creating subterranean structures (tunnels) we would also be more insulated (protected) from extreme changes/ temperatures etc. We could drill inward towards the core of the planet and use Geo thermal energy to power all systems within; ie gardens/agriculture, lighting, computers Etc...

edit on 26-12-2011 by CaptainKostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainKostr

Well there has to be some solution, its killing off whales, dolphins, seals and marine life too. And I keep thinking we need to create some kind of lids or shields on this.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DreamerOracle
Just to clear up and clarify.......

Nice start, but I have major problems with a few things you said:

2. The globe heats up, lets say 10ºc on average. The displacement of Oxygen, Asthmatics, people with Bronchial illnesses would go first, then depending on your fitness the rest..

A warmer earth doesn't mean the oxygen dissapears. Thats like saying because I turned my heating up, I need to poo more. In actual fact, way, way back in time, Earth was much warmer AND had a higher O2 concentration in the atmosphere, hence the 6ft Dragonflies.

3. The Core of our planet and various volcanoes and calderas will reach bursting point due to the heat...So Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Tsunamis.

Now this is total nonsense. A warmer earth would have bugger all affect on the core, tectonic or volcanic activity or anything else.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup

The term, Greenhouse Effect" is a complete misnomer, since the atmosphere has nothing in common with how a greenhouse sequesters long wave radiation. And since the very core is rotten, nothing that follows is reliable either.

Stop the lies.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Reminds me of "The Day After Tomorrow" at the end of the day it was the earth fixing its self

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Debate technical terms all you want, the evidence that the Earth's environment is heating up is incontrovertible.

The evidence that this is a result of human activity is very strong, far too strong to ignore, as the consequences are far too great, at least as far as humanity is concerned. The pressing issue in the minds of those who watch this happening are turning more and more towards finding the best place to hole up until things blow over in a century or
two, or millennium or ten.

From the original article, can't find any new information.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

They made a terrifying discovery - huge plumes of methane bubbles rising to the surface from the seabed.
'We found more than 100 fountains, some more than a kilometre across,' said Dr Igor Semiletov, 'These are methane fields on a scale not seen before. The emissions went directly into the atmosphere.'

'Earlier we found torch or fountain-like structures like this,' Semiletov told the Independent. 'This is the first time that we've found continuous, powerful and impressive seeping structures, more than 1,000 metres in diameter. It's amazing.'

'Over a relatively small area, we found more than 100, but over a wider area, there should be thousands of them.'

What they have discovered in the lakes, is that these methane releases are concentrated at specific points, creating little volcanoes or methane. If these volcanoes of methane release create giant, deep drilling holes, than they could wind up tapping the huge concentrations of methane a mere two hundred meters beneath the Arctic shelf. We could see rapid global warming in a few years, maybe a few months.

No more news on this one.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

New information has arrived. The sun causes global warming.
Buy and read the textbooks.
- Heliophysics - A Universal Science

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

That is old news, and debunked. The solar system is seeing heating in some areas, and cooling in others. The connection between industrialization and extremely wasteful energy usage, which only benefits the super rich, and global warming has a great deal more evidence.

We could solve our economic problems, and wasteful energy usage at the same time.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I think this is happening in more places than we know, like antatic, or toward the north pole have any studies been done in thoes places this could be a bigger problem than we first thought@ccrazy1976

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JaqueFresco

methane is CH4 no oxygen in there unless you are referring to the reaction taking place as a result of the CH4 entering into the atmosphere meeting with oxygen which may results in C02 and H20. So no oxygen production but definitely water and heat great more rain :/.

Now if earth could only fart some ethane gas instead we might be lucky to have some alcohol of the drinking variety pouring down on us from the heavens before we all freeze to death from the hot rain

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeDominator

Here is a pretty good source on C02 and CH4 and - not sure it will validate the above but still a good start for getting the science.

CO2
co2now.org...

CH4
co2now.org...|-CH4/methane-and-climate-science.html

And the page on climat science .
co2now.org...

I hope noone else already posted these if they did I apologise for double posting. I hope they help someone follow this discussion as it is an important topic. I know it helped me brush up on the science

edit on 9/1/2012 by IAmD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

Thanks for the links, although the second one didn't work, I managed to get to it from the first link.

co2now.org...

I think this is an enormously important subject. The way the methane is boiling out of the continental shelf, means it could be working its way down to where the largest sources of methane are located.

If they are seeing this much methane boiling out of the shelf in such a small area, while the rest of these areas have yet to be searched, odds are that this is going on throughout all around the Arctic shelf.

If these methane releases continue to accelerate, as is most likely, than we could be living through a warming period that completely changes everything within but a few years.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why do they call it global warming...

These gasses trap heat in , eventually wont they block heat from entering, causing a global cooling ?....Or is the atmosphere some sort of magical one way mirror ?
edit on 9-1-2012 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
We gotta meet this with the tech to remove it from the atmospere. We have the technology to scrub methane from the atmospere. Now is the time!

OH radicals will both oxidize methane and reduce polution! Can we manufacture and release OH radicals? Oh yes we can!

We got this! Only an intentional lack of response would do us in!
edit on 9-1-2012 by moonleaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
What's going on? SUN acting strange. Electromagnetic anomalies. Holes in atmosphere. POLES melting. METHANE gases being released in large quantities. EARTHQUAKES acting up more. Massive bird,fish die offs. NORWAY SPIRAL. SUNAMY'S. Larger storm systems creating havoc. Land masses sinking, sink holes. People going NUTS these days. I don't care who you are, things are definately changing. WHY? WHAT IS CAUSING THIS? It is getting worse year by year, you cain't deny it now. Something is DEFINATELY out of whack.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join