It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
Why don't somebody just light a match?

because you could burn off our flammable atmosphere then where would we be?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Considering the warm water in the lake I don't think it is surprising that there is a methane producing bacterial ecosystem down there. I would imagine that the top layer of the lake is populated by methane eating bacteria as well. I hope we don't accidentally destroy a very unique and isolated ecosystem by drilling down there

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yes, because it's important that we make no changes to our lifestyles and continue to poison the planet and speed up the extinction.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Who will Gore send the carbon tax bill to?

Sounds like trillions of dollars to be made...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
I'm not very savy to the science behind this but all this methane , would it not mean that the planet would get hotter as opposed to another ice age ??

Yes the planet would get warmer, causing the ice caps to melt to form pure water. This pure water mixes with sea water and lowers the salt levels to catastorphic levels, this in turn causes a massive imbalance in the jet stream which would cause another ice age. Watch, "The day after tomorrow", Sci-fi based on fact. Scary stuff.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

What you've said here makes absolutely no sense.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Is our atmosphere really flammable?

chemistry.about.com...

Sorry, I don't think so.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave
Methane has a shelf life of 8.4 years in the atmosphere carbon dioxide has a small effect for a long period of 100 years. methane emission will have 25 times the effect on temperature of a carbon dioxide emission of the same mass over the following 100 years.

Doesn't sound very promising

Nah - someone just needs to be brave enough to get close and strike a match.......... Problem solved.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

Al Gore is so worried about his own predictions of sea level rise he hurried to build a giant mansion right on the ocean front. His theories are bogus and there is no scientific consensus on global warming. Many of the scientists whose material was quoted by the UN IPCC were angry their material was so misrepresented. The IPCC is not even a board of scientists but UN bureaucrats.
Just read up on Maurice Strong and James Lovelock and the Gaia hypothesis and you will see that much of what is being drummed up is based on non-scientific worship of an earth goddess. Who says non-Christians are smarter?

I have to disagree with your bellicose rhetoric on your quoted post. Maybe Al Gore wants to measure sea rise every morning in front of his mansion. Could Al Gore be thinking that in the near future, he won't be able to live in his seafront home on some sandy beach; so he's getting while the getting is good?

Why do you think that former President W. Bush, and former Vice President Dick Cheny, were stoking the fires that causes global warming; without a care for the outcome of global tragedies due to human caused climate change? It's because that these capitalist pigs -- Want to advance human caused global warming to a point where the Arctic Ice Cap will be completly melted in the winter; so as to free the North West Passage of all ice for safe ship navigation. Also... for easier Arctic oil drilling in the North, and too hell with everybody else!!!

Foofighter's

Erno86
edit on 14-12-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 14-12-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicalview

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Is our atmosphere really flammable?

chemistry.about.com...

Sorry, I don't think so.

Clearly you are right, as we have lightning daily in the atmosphere...but if you lit a match to a huge bubble of methane you would suck all the oxygen away and nothing could live through it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Ron Satterwhite, AKA "Tater Salad" was asked what in the world he was doing to help alleviate all the damage caused by the methane in the atmosphere produced by all the cows.
"Why...", he said, "I'm eating the cows."

You guys crack me up...
Cow Farts

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

I wonder it this is going to get any press coverage.

All the breaking news is here first.

The warming is happening as predicted, and the only people who say differently are hopelessly lost in denial, not even worth bothering with.

Poet, you posted on this very same story near two years ago, how the heck do you see it as breaking news?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's funny or sad to read the comments from the deniers in this thread. This kind of event was predicted by the very people whose work is being run down and taughed about on here. Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This is a good thread. ATS was starting to get a bit boring after the recent non event of elenin and the yu55. Now we can drool over our possible methane extinction instead. An early xmas present for ATSers everywhere! Btw the sun was upside down today.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
What about hazards to boats within that area?

As far as i rememeber, large quantities of rising methane can allegedly cause boats to sink.
Wasn't this the supposed reason behind boats dissapearing within the bermuda triangle? (i know it doesn't explain the dissapearing planes, but still).

Just that the idea popped into my head of another bermuda-triangle-style danger zone to come of this. I can't be 100% sure if methane is the culprit for sinking boats though, i vaguely rmeember something along the lines of that however. Lets hope no shipments carrying rubber ducks sails through this area lol.

*thinking out loud*

Actually there was an episode on mithbusters that showed it was possible to stall a planes engines with enough gas. Basically starving the engine of oxygen.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wow, just wow. I am at a loss having read the first few pages of this thread. This is potentially a large scale global threat and from the 'great' minds on ATS we get:

"Hur hur the earth farted" etc. And mindless idiots starring mindless posts.

Anyone who recalls the Gulf of Mexico oil spill thread will possibly remember the discussion surrounding large Methane bubbles being released from under the sea bed and the disasterous consequences that could arise from such a situation. This could depopulate earth massively, human, animal and fish - but why worry?
The earth farted, let`s light it etc.

I am losing faith in ATS rapidly

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by andy06shake
reply to post by blackcube

I wonder which species will be next to replace us, the bee's, the rats or the Cockroaches? Probobly not the Bee's to be fair.

If it happens they may be native and right below the feet of abovegrounders..

They can survive carbon, RH-, and methane too??? So they survive in all environements, but we're just OK in one basically? And its not our fault they're not on the surface, living in peace, seem TPTB don't like peace do they.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It was a good run, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Seriously this is not good news
edit on 14-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I will say there is nothing to worry about here.
a kind of a earthly reverse psychology

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruptedstructure
This is what I have always believed the earth can self regulate. Whether with Methane gas and/or volcanoes, ect. Now with the sun going into a solar minimum in a couple years on top of it. I am preparing 2 full years of wood just in case!

Methane is a green house gas. It would cause the temperature to go up. The frozen methane would melt due to rising ocean temperature. So, you're saying the earth is responding to a "solar minimum" by heating up, melting frozen methane, which would cause it to heat up even more. That doesn't make sense.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join