It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Autocrates Refuse to Speak English and Threaten to Remove the UK's EU Rebate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

And alarming figures suggested Greece is potentially in the grip of a run on its banks, with around 20 per cent of deposits withdrawn since the start of the year. Anger: Belgian MEP Guy Verhofstadt refused to speak English to deliver his speech Anger: Belgian MEP Guy Verhofstadt refused to speak English to deliver his speech Amid bitter recriminations in Brussels over David Cameron’s decision to veto last week’s attempt at a new EU-wide treaty, senior figures said they would now try to strip Britain of its annual EU rebate in an act of vengeance. The rebate – which has reduced the size of the UK’s contribution to the EU budget over the past 25 years by billions of pounds – including £2.7billion this year, was won by Margaret Thatcher but is up for renegotiation soon. Former Belgian prime minister and Liberal MEP Guy Verhofstadt refused to speak English to deliver his speech on the summit, saying: ‘I shall speak my native language today because I don’t think English is a very appropriate language to use.’ He added: ‘When you are invited to a table, it is either as a guest or you are part of the menu. That can happen. ‘This selfish British strategy of protecting the City is one we cannot tolerate any longer.’

Joseph Daul, leader of the largest party in the European Parliament, the centre-right European People’s Party – from which the Prime Minister withdrew his Tory MEPs on coming into office – said Mr Cameron had acted with no consideration for EU solidarity. He told MEPs: ‘I believe the British rebate should be put into question.

‘Our taxpayers’ money should be used for things other than rewarding selfish and nationalistic attitudes.’

Well guess what surrender monkeys, you are playing into the British publics hands by turning on your anti Britain rhetoric that just smaks of petulisim. The majority of us Brits don't want to be part of your unelected gang of dictators that is called the European union and you are providing us with the ammunition needed to get our government to tear up the lisbon treaty and remove ourselves from the money hole that is mainland europe. Britain is big enough to stand on its own two feet and we have something to say to you, good riddence.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Well guess what surrender monkeys, you are playing into the British publics hands by turning on your anti Britain rhetoric that just smaks of petulisim. The majority of us Brits don't want to be part of your unelected gang of dictators that is called the European union and you are providing us with the ammunition needed to get our government to tear up the lisbon treaty and remove ourselves from the money hole that is mainland europe. Britain is big enough to stand on its own two feet and we have something to say to you, good riddence.
Hahahahaha your all in the same boat mate, it doesnt matter what britain or the other countires in the EU do.
I will tell you whats going to happen. The financial collapse will happen and effect all nations world wide in the same way, the royal family who still own most of britain will take control and who knows what after that.
Its not a game of politics anymore, we are all controlled by the same system and all dependend on eachother.. Our money thats backing is decided by the people endebting is not controlled by nations or their people.

The allies are probably not as strong as we think anymore so start trying to spread the truth before the people are all turned on eachother.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Seriously, I guess you are American but I don't get why you guys think our Royal Family has any kind of political power or power over its people. They Royal Family is purely symbolic and if they tried to be anything more than that they would be disolved. Our nation is democratic and the power is held by the elected members of the house of commons.

As for your comments about the economics, your probably right. However at least we will still hold the power to decide how to rectify the problems ourself.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Seriously, I guess you are American but I don't get why you guys think our Royal Family has any kind of political power or power over its people. They Royal Family is purely symbolic and if they tried to be anything more than that they would be disolved. Our nation is democratic and the power is held by the elected members of the house of commons.

As for your comments about the economics, your probably right. However at least we will still hold the power to decide how to rectify the problems ourself.
Its well known that the queen actually owns much of the land in Britain. Political power doesnt come down to position or what paper say because money dictates power in our society and the royal family is extremley wealthy in gold and important assets.

Who knows what the future will bring, fact is anything is probable and at the moment so many things are possible.. Thats why I say dont be too sure about anything.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by michael1983l

Originally posted by michael1983l

.... I don't get why you guys think our Royal Family has any kind of political power or power over its people. They Royal Family is purely symbolic and if they tried to be anything more than that they would be disolved. Our nation is democratic and the power is held by the elected members of the house of commons.

I know that many people believe that the Royal Family is merely symbolic but that is probably a very well managed illusion. It's an illusion that the Royal Family utilizes to , well, maintain their power. And, believe me, they do indeed have a great deal of political power -- and not just influence. The Royal Family has powers far beyond what most people would expect.

the monarch holds real power under the British constitution. Through the ‘royal prerogative’ he or she has the power to appoint Prime Ministers, dismiss governments, dissolve Parliament, and withhold assent to any legislation.The monarch also possess the power to recognise foreign states, issue declarations of war and peace, annex territory and form international treaties. He or she can also grant honours, issue pardons and appoint bishops and archbishops.SOURCE

These might not seem to be "powers" but, upon consideration and when one goes through the possibilities, the authority of Royal Family is really quite broad. I know that a common argument that people fall back on when confronted with this information: this list of Royal Privelege, is that the Royals haven't used these powers in recent times...... ahem..... think again:

Technically, most of these powers are exercised only on the advice of ministers, and quite a few have lain unused for many years. Nevertheless, they exist. It was through these powers that in 1975 the Australian governor general John Kerr, not an elected official but the Queen’s representative imposed upon Australia, dismissed the democratically elected Labor government of Gough Whitlam and appointed opposition leader Malcolm Fraser as caretaker Prime Minister, thereby launching a constitutional crisis. SOURCE

Another argument that people profer is that the "people" would never stand for the Royals interfering with the government. However, most cleverly, the Royal Family is able to deflect obvious blame for their actions by using a proxy -- the government that serves them. Whether it's a liberal or conservative government, as long as the government is cooperative, the Royal Family is able to practically dictate their will -- and since the government can be dissolved at Royal Perogative, one might expect that the government will simply follow, in lockstep, the path the Royals wish.

The real impact of the royal prerogative, however, is is not so much to empower the monarch as to allow the executive to bypass parliamentary scrutiny. Through royal prerogative powers, the government is able to declare war, make treaties, conduct diplomacy, govern Britain’s overseas territories and appoint and remove ministers, all without parliamentary approval. In 2003, on the very eve of the Iraq war, and well after it was clear that Britain and America were going to attack Iraq anyway, Parliament debated the issue and approved the attack. But even had it not approved of the action, it could not legally have prevented it – the royal prerogative would have allowed Tony Blair to commit to war without parliamentary approval. It was those powers that allowed David Cameron to attack Libya this month without first consulting parliament. The ability of the executive to bypass Parliament in this fashion is not only deeply undemocratic, it also serves to deepen the sense of the futility of politics. SOURCE

Yes, the Royals have real power -- political power.

edit on 12/14/2011 by benevolent tyrant because: to correct BB code
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Lets get back, the the sabre rattling In the EU parliament shall we, what is going on there has nothing to do wither the Royals have more influence than bambi

As for the EU Parliament, continue down this road. The whole of Europe might find itself once again in a major conflict. The British Public are not stupid nor are they even scared. One bit.

If the EU wants to play hardball, then so can we the UK.

If they want our rebate back. All subsidies to French farmers must be stopped. Or maybe the UK should just withhold all its contributions to the EU all together and save 50 billion. And tell the EU up yours.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Britain is big enough to stand on its own two feet and we have something to say to you, good riddence

Really?

If Europe didn't buy a majority of our goods, we'd be screwed.

We need Europe.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

As much as Europe needs us.

A large percentage of their trade is with the UK.

And for the record the Biggest trading partner in Europe with the UK is Ireland. I do not think the Irish would jepordise it either.

There are other countries besides the EU you know. The UK could maybe go elsewhere, and negotiate trade links they do it all the time.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti
]Its well known that the queen actually owns much of the land in Britain.

Well, the Balmoral and Sandringham Estates.

Walmart probably owns more land in Britain than the Queen

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
the e.u. is far too'1000 year reich' for my liking.sarkosy reminds me of nick clegg-the bitch.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I like Brits, we have lots here down in Spain.

But recently, sorry, it sounds to me that you have a LOT of bitter #####es up there.
What's up with all that shouting and swearing how you hate the EU? Weak...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Weak?

How do you think we are weak?

Simple fact is, the UK does not bow down to the EU nor does it like to be pushed around.

If the EU does not like that they know what they can do with their European Project.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I can sympathise with a member of a nation that is now relying on the EU to keep it afloat and see why you would see our actions as being bitter because it directly opposes your cause for help from the EU. But the fact of the matter is the UK does not want to go the same way as Spain where eventually Germany will be dictating policy to your soverign governments. We are happy with a free open market, but laws and policies should be down to the people and the people alone. Not unelected Eurocrat governments of foreign nations. I'm suprised that you are willing to give up your countries soverignty without so much as a fight. Dissapointing.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
By the way i am German, living in Spain tho.

Edit: Sovereignty

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
We've finished chucking money down the EU drain, like it or lump it.
Why give over our sovereignty to people who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery?.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

So who should run this group of 27 nations then? Would the German people be happy with a Turkish Prime Minster being in charge, I am certain the Cypriot/greek people wouldn't. The 27 nations are all unique, most have different languages and customs/cultures and a\ll have completly different economic structures. It is in esscence like trying to mix orange juice with milk and wondering why it congeals and becomes putrid when you do.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Maybe for you it is.

For the UK it is not.

The UK will not be pushed around by individuals whom impose unelected officials on people. And they have the cheek to say it is in the best interests of the EU Citizens.

You want an answer to what is going on in Brussels here is your answer, this guy tells it as it is.

And if Europe think it can push and isolate the UK then go for it. It will come back and bite them in the butt. If giving the chance the UK Population would stick two fingers up to the EU Project and vote to leave the EU. Would save us 50 Billion per year.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

It doesn't become putrid, it makes cheese if you drink em.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I am not "European" I am British. I do not want to be a euro citizen, I could not give a monkeys bollocks what the french or germans think about that either!

I would rather have a treaty with countries we DO have everything in common with; USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, all of the old commonwealth nations where we have shared language, ancestry, heritage, history, blood and toil..

The EU can sling its bloody hook from this island and shove its directives, institutions and all of its dirty corruption right up its collective ass!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Thanks for that video, I can't get enough of Farage he shoots from the hip and normally speaks the most truth out of any european politician. In the last 12 months I have swung from Tory to UKIP. Suprisingly their home manifesto is impressive too.

<<   2  3 >>

join