It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF becomes first US city to top $10 minimum wage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

SF becomes first US city to top $10 minimum wage

finance.yahoo.com

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- David Frias works two minimum-wage jobs to squeak by in one of the most expensive cities in America.

Come New Year's Day, he'll have a few more coins in his pocket as San Francisco makes history by becoming the first city in the nation to scale a $10 minimum wage. The city's hourly wage for its lowest-paid workers will hit $10.24, more than $2 above the California minimum wage and nearly $3 more than the working wage set by the federal government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well I didnt believe it...

Want to guess what will happen in SF.....

Job cuts and big ones

in the article it references what the owner will have to do....

What a great plan... cost people jobs..... ah politics just lovely... Election time is gearing up and attempts are being made to secure areas for the democrats....

I wonder how the republicans will respond in areas they are in control...

the game of politics has reached a new level...

finance.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Money supply increases through debt, currency devalues, wages increase, product prices increase.

Remember, going to the theater 60 years ago only cost 50 cents...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ripcontrol

Job cuts and big ones

You think so? So I guess every McDonalds and Burger King is going to shut down huh? Im sick of this stupid argument, "You cant raise the minimum wage, or no one will want to hire anyone!"

Are you going to come here and apologize for fear mongering and admit you were wrong when all of these businesses that use minimum wage labor just keep going on, business as usual?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Australia has like what....$15 MINIMUM wage and there is no such nonsense that goes on there. In fact, people over twenty tend to expect at least $20 an hour as a sign of respect. Sure, Australian goods cost a bit more, but when those price changes are factored into the equation then we see that Australians tend to STILL make more than the American counterparts while having a better buying ability.
Businesses don't go cutting jobs or benefits either.
It's a myth. Businesses can do just fine with a high minimum wage. Businesses are simply looking for a ridiculous overhead profit here in the states.

1 of the 7 deadly:
Greed

Australia:
More economic freedom than the US: heritage.org...
Bare minimum wage: www.abc.net.au...
US's pitiful performance: www.dol.gov...

Falsehoods, Falsehoods everywhere.
Australians have more buying power, economic opportunity, and economic freedoms. Businesses are doing just fine in Australia compared to the US.
You're a result of a corporatist psy-op.

You are the reason why I'm a conspiracy theorist. You are the sheep. One day you shall awake.
edit on 13-12-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
Money supply increases through debt, currency devalues, wages increase, product prices increase.

No, what they have done is stolen all of our money through "inflation". Wages have not increased at the same rate as consumer prices and corporate profit, which have skyrocketed. Over the past 100 years, 99cents out of every dollar has "disappeared" and everyone just blames "inflation", instead of recognizing it for what it is: thievery.

And jack wagons like the original poster here want these companies to not even have to pay a minimum wage....sickening.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
I'm pretty sure Australia has like what....$15 MINIMUM wage and there is no such nonsense that goes on there. In fact, people over twenty tend to expect at least $20 an hour as a sign of respect. Sure, Australian goods cost a bit more, but when those price changes are factored into the equation then we see that Australians tend to STILL make more than the American counterparts while having a better buying ability.
Businesses don't go cutting jobs or benefits either.
It's a myth. Businesses can do just fine with a high minimum wage. Businesses are simply looking for a ridiculous overhead profit here in the states.

1 of the 7 deadly:
Greed

Australia:
More economic freedom than the US: heritage.org...
Bare minimum wage: www.abc.net.au...
US's pitiful performance: www.dol.gov...

Falsehoods, Falsehoods everywhere.
Australians have more buying power, economic opportunity, and economic freedoms. Businesses are doing just fine in Australia compared to the US.
You're a result of a corporatist psy-op.

You are the reason why I'm a conspiracy theorist. You are the sheep. One day you shall awake.
edit on 13-12-2011 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

Thank you for pointing this out.....the sheep wanting to abolish min wage make me want to rage. Something tells me they are paid to have this opinion.
edit on 13-12-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I wish they were paid. They are brainwashed and worse, IGNORANT.

They do not research and merely repeat what their handlers tell them is right. Realize the world is larger than the US once in a while and you'll see the effect of some policies.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

i`d say that you people are a little behind the times . up here in the great white north minimum wage is $13,00 an hour. but our forced upon us taxation is a lot higher.and it keeps on a rising like the floods of the spring time. and we are drowning in taxes .and debt [governmental ] as these morons seem to think they can spend money that they don`t have in their pockets like it was water.considering that they don`t have 2 pennies to rub together. op`s sorry that is every government in this world they all went to the same school of stupidity.money grows on trees so we can spend it all and stick the working class man with the bills[laws] theirs.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Job cuts and big ones

You think so? So I guess every McDonalds and Burger King is going to shut down huh? Im sick of this stupid argument, "You cant raise the minimum wage, or no one will want to hire anyone!

There will be fewer employees at a higher cost per employee

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Originally posted by againuntodust

No, what they have done is stolen all of our money through "inflation". Wages have not increased at the same rate as consumer prices and corporate profit, which have skyrocketed. Over the past 100 years, 99cents out of every dollar has "disappeared" and everyone just blames "inflation", instead of recognizing it for what it is: thievery.

I agree, inflation has been called the "hidden tax".

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The minimum wage treats the symptom of economic ignorance, but it also reenforces the motivation to continue economic ignorance.

Everything should cost what it is worth.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

High minimum wages are associated with high cost cities for a reason! Now the lowest paid workers will see a new phenomenon: Prices will start to rise

Businesses and professionals are already marking an exodus out of California .. they seem to be on a path of self destruction. What happens when you are the most expensive economic island in the state? Exactly.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Bravo!

It seems like ATS is attracting more sheep than it ever has. We have to be proactive and call out those sheep when they start threads like this.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Thank you for pointing this out.....the sheep wanting to abolish min wage make me want to rage. Something tells me they are paid to have this opinion.
If the people who want no minimum wage are sheep, then aren't you also a bit of sheep by degree for not wanting a $100/hr minimum wage? Isn't it hypocrisy on your part to allow businesses to keep any profit at all?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's a push forward, but really, all full-time jobs should offer a LIVABLE wage. In other words, if you are working full time (devoting all your available working hours) you should have enough money to live in the location you are. The minimum wage is such a far cry from being able to support a household, let alone a family, I don't know how people can get UPSET that it is being raised.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

High minimum wages are associated with high cost cities for a reason! Now the lowest paid workers will see a new phenomenon: Prices will start to rise

Businesses and professionals are already marking an exodus out of California .. they seem to be on a path of self destruction. What happens when you are the most expensive economic island in the state? Exactly.

The city was bumping last time I was there.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Job cuts and big ones

in the article it references what the owner will have to do....

What a great plan... cost people jobs..... ah politics just lovely... Election time is gearing up and attempts are being made to secure areas for the democrats....

I wonder how the republicans will respond in areas they are in control...

the game of politics has reached a new level...

finance.yahoo.com

More currency in SF, will mean more liquidity, which will be interesting to see...

Hopefully the Republicans can reinstate slavery or at least $.35 an hour wages! exciting

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Varemia

It's a push forward, but really, all full-time jobs should offer a LIVABLE wage. In other words, if you are working full time (devoting all your available working hours) you should have enough money to live in the location you are. The minimum wage is such a far cry from being able to support a household, let alone a family, I don't know how people can get UPSET that it is being raised.
Why only full-time jobs? What about single mothers who have to work part-time so they can also take care of their kids? Don't they 'deserve' a LIVABLE wage? And really, shouldn't the single mothers actually be paid more since they need it more? Just because someone has the ability to work 40 hrs. doesn't mean he should have the advantage, right?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Minimum wage is a double edged sword. It may increase the wage wages of those workers and help better their conditions. Along with that it increases the amount of people interested in those jobs as a means of augmenting their wages part-time increasing competition for those positions.

The other side effect of minimum wage increases, is who is going to pay for it? The consumer can pay for it by higher prices. The laborer can pay for it with the loss of their position. Or the company can pay for it by accepting a reduction in their profits. Which of those three are going to happen? It certainly isn't going to be the company taking less profit, and you may be able to legislate how much a company pays it's low skilled employees but you can't legislate how they control their profit margins. As long as WalMart and McDonalds and their ilk have shareholders to answer to, the company isn't going to absorb the loss that a minimum wage increase creates. Not to mention that more often than not minimum wage increases mean nothing unless you tie the increase to self adjust for inflation in the future. It has become a well I did this so I can feel good about myself moment of legislation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join