It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***ATS book entry - SETI@home - and BOINC history***

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Hi all!

I've been approached by DISC to compile an article for the ATS book about our exeriences with the ATS SETI@home - and BOINC - teams. I think this is a splendid idea, as we have worked "quietly" in the background over nearly 220 years CPU time in trying to find evidence of ETI.

My own recollections are too one-sided to be of any importance at all - honestly. Therefore, could I ask you to recount any particular "memories" of SETI@home here, or indeed BOINC, so that we can have a genuine collective approach to writing this memoir? The resultant article will be the stronger for it, I'm sure!

So...

Any personal observations - highs and lows?
Significant timelines - eg as regards the 46 000 WU's thread of 12th Dec 2003 - or your own timelines?
How you "found" SETI@home (or BOINC)?
How you found ATS SETI@home (or BOINC) team?
What of the future - BOINC anybody?

This list of questions *isn't* designed to be exhaustive - what would you like to read about in the article please? (in other words, if there is something you want to say, then please air it - and I'll do my best to include it in the resultant article!!)

Thank you to *all* respondents in advance - I will quite probably "igniore" responses, so as not to interrupt the flow of ideas and memories that I hope you are all, even now, thinking about!!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hi Genya, it's good to know that you will be writing an article about SETI, You have always spoken out so well for the cause, it should make interesting reading.
One time that stands out for me was shortly after I downloaded SETI and joined the team, it was the time when a lot of the members were working together on trying to get SETI a bit more exposure by getting the banner in our sigs, what a nightmare that was! We were all trying to think up tags for our profile and trying our uttmost to get recognition by trying to get the points system going , we still live in hope, It goes to show what a patient lot we are, if we can wait as long as it takes for a signal then we can sit and quietly wait for the promised points!

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I forgot to add , that I think it was around that time that there wasn't an new thread in the introductions forum where there wasn't some member of SETI posting their welcomes with a little foot-note asking that the new member check out the SETI team.
Happy days

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
How can I join the SETI@Home team? I am not online much but all help I guess will be grateful.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
How can I join the SETI@Home team? I am not online much but all help I guess will be grateful.

Hi Ezekial!

Please have a look at these threads:

FAQ's

Tutorial

Index

Hopefully, these will tell you all you need to know but please ask if you need any more information.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Yeah I only realised that the SETI@home section was open after posting my question. I only was the thread name in the recent posts table.

d1k

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I joined the ATS SETI team when I saw the already large group going against the likes of top US universities. Since I already had 5000+ WU's I thought I could help out. I then went out and installed SETI on even more computers I have access to to help the "push" as well as compete in the top ten in our group
I started at 7th, made my way to 5th and I am now currently 6th as a new SETI member with more WU's joined the team. Hopefully I will be in the top 5 by the time SETI classic ends, as I am still installing the SETI CLI client on computers as I get access and permission to do so.

I also encouraged people to use the SETI CLI client as it data crunches 5x more in the same amount of time as the screen saver client in a thread I created about it. Hopefully some people switched over and got the best bang for their buck

[edit on 2-11-2004 by d1k]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I stumbled across SETI@Home when I was still in college. This dude I was in class with had it running on his laptop, and I asked him about it. I joined the ATS team almost immediately, because I was basically living on the board at the time.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
OK we need someone to help with this, Any Takers? Please U2U me

top topics

join