It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida County To Jail Parents if Kids Miss School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

A new truancy court in Palm Beach, Florida aims to cut down on the state’s absentee rate for young children by punishing parents who don’t take their kids to school.

Florida law says parents of children under 16 who let their kids miss 15 days of school within three months can be sent to jail for up to two months as punishment.

What a nanny state we live in now. Go to jail if your kid misses more than 15 days of school in 3 months.They really don’t want you to miss to many indoctrination classes now do they.

I wonder how this applies to home schooled kids?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just giving more power to the kids with the probability of abusing the system again.

Don't like your parents? Had your games taken away? Got grounded? Here's how to pay them back...skip school!

Want something from your parents? Angry at them for punishing you? Skip school!

That's gonna teach 'em!

Basically the same premise as a debtor's Prison. YOU go to jail for the crimes of another.

Who makes up these laws?

edit on 13-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Right because it wouldnt have anything to do with the ignorant and pointless education system would it

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They tried that here in the UK:

Direct.gov.uk

and this is what happened:

Truancy ratings

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Nanny state indeed.

Here in Washington we have the beca (spelling?) bill. Basically the same thing, parents can be jailed for kids missing school for unexcused absences.

I've never heard of anyone actually going though. We have online schools that you can attend at any time day or night with computers provided that they will push you on instead of.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Excessive repeated absences can land a parent in jail already in Texas. Of course, we're talking along the lines of 40 days or so. Part of being a parent is seeing the little buggers educated. I would think that seeing the offspring educated as quickly as possible would result in them moving off that much sooner and so freeing up the parent, but then this is texas, and people breed like vermin, with the mentality to match for the most part. The parents of some of these kids are dope fiends and crackheads, and the kids aren't much better. As for indoctrination and whatnot, I try to take an active part in what the school is teaching my son, and make sure that when it comes to history, government, and science he knows that there is far more to the story than what is accepted in this flea infested corner of the country.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Hmm, I can't imagine it's always the parents fault. Sometimes it probably isn't even the kids fault.
I mean bullying, they may just avoid school because of that. You know how kids are with not wanting to tell people they're being bullied. So, condemning the parents in such an extreme fashion, I think's kinda harsh.

If it can be proven the parents aren't doing anything to support the kids education, sure, do something to help them understand. But look into circumstances, before hand, would be fair.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't have any problem with parents being held responsible for the actions or in actions of their children. That's the way it is supposed to be. But be sure to include the right to punish those children for bad behavior. It takes both to raise a child correctly.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The solution to that is parents get together and agree to keep their kids home until that law is repealed.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Right, but kids are told to call nine one one if " love hurts" This is law in my state already and it's an absolute failure. You cant legislate a better grad rate. The problem is the system and what is gonna happen to the kids when the parents are locked up....does not matter and is not an issue to the do gooders.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The drones have to get their brainwashing...

I doubt much is missed in 15 days of public education in a three month period.

Been thinking a lot about this recently and I'm definitely finding a good private school and baring that home schooling.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In Australia it has been the law for awhile now - when a Child misses school the parents are held accountable. I do not know statistically whether the system is working but as a Teacher - Students openly tell me they are only at school because their parents made them attend.

Do feel the parents need to be responsible for the whereabouts of their Children. Do know that Children who are forced to attend school and don't want to engage in learning become frustrated and bored and become a distraction to the Students who do want to learn. In essence they become a problem and by forcing them to remain in school they exacerbate the situation.

The law in Australia also recently changed where Students must remain in school until they are seventeen. This means they must complete at least eleven years of school. In the Australian system there are twelve years of school and then university becomes a choice. The Student is only permitted to leave prior to seventeen when they can prove they have employment or are studying at a college, usually an educational organisation that teaches a trade or qualification.

However - I have been a Police officer and know that Children who do not attend school can end up in all sorts of trouble. What is the answer? Well this is my personal opinion based on personal and professional experience.

The education system needs to change and I am hopeful the Children will be a part of the change by demanding it themselves - they just need to find their voice and appropriate adults to help them. Parents need to realise that the education system needs to change. Teachers need to realise change is overdue - some do realise this but as is with all things ingrained - change needs an opportunity and even then it must be managed with intellect and savvy.

I am published and all because Students - in the classroom - started to disclose their extra curricula interests. It started with - would you like to hear my ghost story miss? and moved into the realms of sketching images of Intergalactic Craft and Intergalactic Visitors. I want to make myself very clear - I did not advertise. It just happened and I always permit Students their voice. I also want to be very clear about the fact I did not ask many questions. Dependent on the subject I may ask about adults being present or would you like to draw?

Essentially the Students know I am walking a very thin tightrope and this is why I always engage the class in the prescribed lesson but allow them to speak freely. Even the youngest most naive Student knows that I would love to let the entire class focus on what they want to explore. They know they would lose me if I did what I wanted - which is exactly what they want to do.

All I know is Children of today want to express themselves and explore their entire world and not the version that has been syphoned off to them. That is why I walk very very carefully in my situation and am prepared for an opportunity - when that opportunity presents I am hopeful that people of all ages will be listening.

Forcing Children to attend school is not the answer. Forcing the parents is not the answer. Jailing anyone is not the answer. I believe the answer is a question - why don't Children like attending school?

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Good speech, that makes a lot of sense. IF school were awesome and fun, then kids wouldn't want to skip. If most of it wasn't in a droning voice, then maybe kids wouldn't fall asleep.

I doubt this will get passed,
And most kids will skip without telling their parents, or anyone
"Go to school!"
"Okay mom"
*skips*

That easy. I did it. I skipped a lot.
I hated public school though, loathed it more than i loathed everyone inside of it.. But anyways.
edit on 13/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join