It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So A Government Won EU Referendum In The UK Would Allow Them To Change UK Constitution?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by TheMindWar

Just hold a minute, when did Britain ever have a constitution?

I was going to ask the same thing...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
As far as I understand it, Britain is considered to have an unwritten constitution that revolves around the principle that Parliament is sovereign.. Going by the relationship Parliament has with the EU I wonder if that could still be said.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Here is maybe your answer:

The constitution of the United Kingdom is the set of laws and principles under which the United Kingdom is governed

Since the English Civil War, the bedrock of the British constitution has traditionally been the doctrine of parliamentary sovereignty, according to which the statutes passed by Parliament are the UK's supreme and final source of law.[3] It follows that Parliament can change the constitution simply by passing new Acts of Parliament. There is some debate about whether this principle remains entirely valid today, in part due to the UK's European Union membership.

So we do have a constitution but many say it is a unwritten constitution.

Constitution of the United Kingdom

But there are others who state that the UK does have a written constitution but it is difficult to track down:

Professor Vernon Bogdanor of Oxford University dismisses this as a 'misleading platitude'.

As he explains, much of our constitution is to be found in written documents or statutes such as Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Act of Settlement and the Parliament Acts.

BBC News
edit on 14-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The UK / USA ,

The United States is a private corporation owned by the British Crown (Rothchilds), the Bank of England (Rothchilds) and the Vatican (Rothchilds again). It was previously called the Virginia Company until 3/9/33 when it was dissolved by Roosevelt under the Emergency Banking Act. On 5/5/33 Congress elected to dissolve the Gold Standard and Sovereign Authority of the U.S. and all of its official capacities including government offices, departments and officers. The U.S. is a corporation, not a nation. The Federal Reserve is neither Federal, nor a Reserve. It is a private counterfeiting organization run by Jewish bankers who lend the money they print out of thin air at interest while we keep on paying these criminals to fleece the People.

I filter rubbish and question everything I read , granted when I first became aware of the UK position regarding the USA , I thought how crazy the whole concept was , then I started to research the information available , yes some of it I had to consign to the trash bin , BUT vast swathes of information make absolute perfect sense , vast amounts of non conflicting info make a credible case for the above words. That was four years ago that I became informed on the subject.

The City Of London's financial square mile were even exempted from the Doomsday book , that is power, and this has been the case for hundreds of years , as a side note , look up the protocol that was observed during the three night vigil over the Queen mothers coffin , all Masonic down to the hight and angle of the stone plinth the coffin was placed on.

Wake up , research this stuff , if only to shoot me down and say what an idiot ha ha . Better to digest info then make an educated yes / no on the matter.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Droidinvoid because: Added to the post.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

No one has stated that the UK has a bill of rights so, maybe read first before you go pointing fingers and shouting off on one.

It clearly has been stated that Those in Parliament want a separate Bill of rights for the UK/UK Constitution, Separate from the EU's Human rights act.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

Maybe you should take you own advice, I stated the UK does NOT have a constitution, that our rights are governed by an EU treaty we signed, but it does not and never had a written verifiable constitution. Every other country has one, but the UK does not. We are governed by parliamentary law, not a constitution. Therefore the title of this post is wrong, because you cannot change a constitution if you don't have one in the first place.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

Wrong the UK does have a constitution.

Professor Vernon Bogdanor of Oxford University dismisses this as a 'misleading platitude'.

As he explains, much of our constitution is to be found in written documents or statutes such as Magna Carta, the Bill of Rights, the Act of Settlement and the Parliament Acts.

Which has been in place since the Magna Carta

BBC Politics

Helps when one does some research

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join