It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

90 year old woman almost starved to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Recently, a post entitled “Civil servant’s 90-year-old mother left starved to death,” spreads in dozens of Chinese websites. In the video a white-haired old lady is lying on a mat, so thin with only bones, the old lady is said to be the mother of a civil servant of Wuping County in Southeast China Fujian Province. Because of family disputes, the son left his mother starves to death.

This aroused widespread concern in the internet; many said that the act is incomprehensible and shocking. The poster said the video was captured in the eve of National Day this year, the place was in a utility room downstairs of a residential sub district of Wuping county. Poster said the elderly was already 90-year-old. The elderly is said to have five sons and one daughter, because early death of her husband, she gave her two sons to others, the eldest son and his wife helped the elderly raise the whole family.

The civil servant mentioned is her fourth son who lived together with her. At the end of September, the county police and local Women’s Federation received the alarm and rushed to the scene. The elderly was sent immediately by ambulance to the county hospital for treatment. After rescue and diagnosis, the doctor declared the death of the woman. The diagnosis book listed the death reason – “severe malnutrition.” As of the long-term malnutrition, the elderly had severe multiple organ failure and died before the National Day.

source

disgusting..

i'm surprised this woman was alive when they found her.

absolutely disgusting things like this still happen.

and no, i've not been living under a rock.
i just have a hard time grasping why we act the way we do at times.

pretty shocking vid

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]What a sad story.

I wonder if the son will be charged with abandonment? I think he should be.

After looking at the pictures, I am shocked. I have never seen anyone so emaciated. That is just horrible ):
edit on 13-12-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
hi op

its happening here all over in britain
elderly folks deciding to cook there dinner or have the heating on

folks in america its bad here in britain i swear it
the media makes out that its all hunky dory here
it is not
its bull
believe half what you here,and very little what you see

dave

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
OMG that is shocking!

How did she even survive like that?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

i've came across a link saying the son was arrested but can't find it in the mess i've created on my desktop

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

[color=mediumorchid]It is disturbing that one could leave their own mother in such a state. That doesn't happen over night. I cannot imagine the suffering that poor woman endured. And to leave her lying on the floor like that? I am appalled.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

The son that did this to her....should be charged with murder.....he starved her to death...on purpose. He is a vile selfish person...who deserves prison time.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
so much for filial piety. Talk about an endorsement to keep yourself up for as long as possible. It really sucks the way the elderly are treated, the world over, not just in any particular place. Im sure in every corner of the globe there is some old person somewhere, forgotten about and left to die. Ive always wondered if people have such a disregard for the elderly because its their way of denying mortality. After all...what better reminder of our own frailty than the elderly.

edit on 13-12-2011 by irsuccubus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Absolutely horrifying. I didn't know ANYONE could get that emaciated and still be alive. I wonder what they could have done to save her -- I suspect nothing. And even if they could have intravenously kept her alive, should they? How miserable!

I can't think of anyway to have helped her, but I'm not a doctor. It just seems there was no way she could have been returned to good health. Thanks for posting this, as awful as it is: these things need to be made public.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I too have never seen someone so emancipated that is still alive.
Disgusting, cruel, evil are a few words that come to mind to describe the pig of a son that did this.

But what about her other children?

The elderly is said to have five sons and one daughter, because early death of her husband, she gave her two sons to others, the eldest son and his wife helped the elderly raise the whole family. The civil servant mentioned is her fourth son who lived together with her.

Did none of them visit??
Or grandchildren??? Great grand-children??
How can this be taking place & NO-ONE helps or takes action??
WTF???

Another thing I'm wondering is how she had 6 children in China,?
I thought it had a one child policy?

Regardless, it seems there are MANY to be responsible for this poor womans state.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jewells

Indeed. She was a widow early, and had to enlist help to keep her kids alive. I don't know if the one-child thing was in effect that long ago...

But agreed, her entire family should be held accountable. Things I hear about Chinese culture really make me wonder sometimes. But I know there are wicked things going on all over the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Too true.

Sounds like the poor woman had a long life of struggle for survival-unfortunately to the very end.
Death was probably a very welcome blessing for her.

Its bad enough to think her son was so heartless to allow her to suffer this way, but to think an ENTIRE family network allowed it.........

All I can think is maybe she was a cruel, heartless woman herself??? What else can explain this?
Even if this is so, you would think someone would find some compassion to do the right thing.

The mind boggles....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
After looking at the pictures, I am shocked. I have never seen anyone so emaciated.

Then you clearly never had heard of Auschwitz or the Holocaust...?

Not intended to be an insult, but this seems to be an educational loss in the younger generations.

It is a horrible tragedy that people must suffer in such a fashion, and die a horrible fate.

This is a fact of life in the real world, ie the world outside of the one so many live in. If only more individuals would get outside of their comfort zones, and travel to the impoverished areas around them. One doesn't even need to leave their state, severe poverty exist in your state and perhaps your county.

That is the very sad and disgusting truth our gross world contains. Ignorance of the reality that there are those who are less fortunate and the majority choose to not see it.

edit on 13-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: added historical images to make a point

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

[color=dodgerblue]Ummmmmmmm...

First of all. I am not uneducated and I don't appreciate that assumption.

Second of all, a woman left to starve by her own family members is not comparable to the holocaust. Her own children let her lay on the floor until she starved to death.

If my never having seen a person so emaciated makes me uneducated, then so be it. I wasn't aware that not seeing tragedy up close and personally directly affected one's intelligence.

I am sure that my future career in Nursing will allow me to see many personal tragedies up close.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Clearly you completely misunderstood what it was I intended, my comment was not directed at you as an individual, but to the younger generation in general. So I will repost what was stated and leave this thread so as to not disgruntle your sensibilities....

Not intended to be an insult, but this seems to be an educational loss in the younger generations.

Never said "uneducated", the referenced information was to emaciated people, not the event sheesh.

With that I bow out, and leave you, and the rest to your own devise, as clearly my words are being misconstrued.

join