It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man's Greatest Creation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Clothing must surely be the greatest creation by man.

If we look at the northern hemisphere, the populations closer to the pole had to create clothes to keep from freezing in winter, especially during the ice ages.

The southern hemisphere, mostly landmasses consisting of temperate climates, and not situated close to the south pole. Clothing wasn't necessary.

Humans of that age of clothing creation about 170000 years ago were very basic. They only needed to find food and mate to breed and keep the race alive. That was the objective. So, humans of the age were very animalistic in nature.

If we cover up and take away the urge of human nature. The more clothing the better. Then surely this led to less time thinking about urges, and created more time to think, well, creatively I suppose.

It had to work this way. Through the ages humans in the northern and predominantly colder territories kept advancing. Of course it was only clothing up until a certain point that helped the process of progression. When certain advancements were made they led to other discoveries and inventions. But I believe clothing was a major factor.

You might say, what happened to the Chinese? Well they wore clothing. It's true but like I said, clothing only helped increase the process of human creative thinking. It only took them so far and then the discoveries and inventions led on to themselves. What happened with the Chinese was they loved China pottery so much they never discovered glass, which if you research led to many advancements. But anyway the Chinese were only a bit behind the times compared to the african tribes, the maoris, the aborigines, and the various tribes of Brazil.

Also I'd like to mention the middle east civilizations which got quite advanced then stopped progressing. This was because of religion. Of course religion was against science, so some civilizations reached a point and never advanced further. At least until science wasn't shunned anymore. As we can see the middle east suffered this fate and now are coming along in leaps and bounds. Almost.

Each of the above civilizations were easily conquered when found as they were lacking in technology discovered by the northern hemisphere and also the clothes. So surely, this was the greatest creation by man. To move away from animals we had to silence our animalistic nature. Which only seems fitting to the fact that most successful civilizations, or should I say advanced civilizations wear clothing.

Of course I would like to say this is only my opinion of why some civilizations advanced faster than others. If you have a different theory on what the cause of this was then I'm glad to hear it.
edit on 13-12-2011 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
i think soap is.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Nuclear bomb

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I wholeheartedly agree.
Ask any hobo whats the most important thing to them - they have no use for soap or nuclear weapons - clothing will keep them alive much longer.

Though I must say, whenever I'm looking into the past, I am unbelievably grateful to live in an era with flushable toilets
and don't get me started on the luxury of toilet paper - I don't even want to think about living without it, seriously.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ok, now that you've got the serious ones out of the way, how about Novocain, or any anesthesia for that matter.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
saran wrap..

think about it..

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Ok, now that you've got the serious ones out of the way, how about Novocain, or any anesthesia for that matter.

Novocain might be another alteration.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I think it would have to be the dewars flask, otherwise known as the thermos bottle,because it keeps hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold. How does it know?
Seriously, though I had not considered clothing to be as much of an important innovation as language, you have made some really valid points.

top topics

join