It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD and NYC City Hall Break Kids Hearts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

as for claiming that these people put their kids in harms way just goes to show how far off your moral compasses you are: you blame the parents for the actions of these scum

i agree how can someone decry the abuse of childeren and expect us not to point out that through economic injustises, these childeren will suffer much greater pains of lack of food and homes and will be hungry,

this is because the police are enforceing laws on behalf of the 1% theift of the future happyness of their childeren.

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It's just...weird... I guess I don't understand why that cop saw it as a problem to have paper hearts on a fence.... I mean, what harm is it?

The guy calls his supervisor and I can only imagine what he was saying " It's an emergency! Children are putting paper hearts on the fence!!!! Tear them off and throw them on the ground? Good thinking! That will show them to love!"

It's just absurd.
edit on 13-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

when love from childeren and paper hearts are considered a threat,
then we know that something is wrong.

how can a childs paper heart be thrown on the ground?
who can have such a heavey heart that this can be justifyed?

the childeren show love and it is thrown on the ground.

not very police like actions IMHO

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I'm not sure of your point here?

The parents put their kids up to some political protest. It got shot down, the kids were heartbroken and disappointed, and it is the fault of the parents.

I didn't say anything about abject poverty or sleeping in cars. That is a totally different thing, and for the kids in that predicament, I'm sure it wasn't intentional by their parents. This protest was intentional. For the protest, they intentionally used their own children to make a political statement, and that is wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by XPLodER

I'm not sure of your point here?

these parents were trying to show their childeren how to piecefully ask the police not to be bullies,
the police then acted like a bully

The parents put their kids up to some political protest. It got shot down, the kids were heartbroken and disappointed, and it is the fault of the parents.

this is a VERY small percent of the parents who wanted to protest against the police bullying, and show that parents do not accept bullies.
answer me this, what or who would it have hurt to wait untill the protestors left before removing the hearts?

who could look at the hearts and be offended? who can tell parents how to teach their childeren life lessons?

you?

I didn't say anything about abject poverty or sleeping in cars. That is a totally different thing, and for the kids in that predicament, I'm sure it wasn't intentional by their parents. This protest was intentional. For the protest, they intentionally used their own children to make a political statement, and that is wrong.

yes you conveinently forgot that alot of childeren are sleeping in cars and eating scaps,
you forgot that bank bonuses and forclosure has sent many millions onto the street to live,
many whom have childeren.

to pretend this does not effect childeren is to put your ears in your fingers,
these parenets and their childeren are making a statement on behalf of all who cant afford to live and feed their childeren.

this is a statement that police violence to enforce the removal of families from houses for bank bonuses effects the childeren the most.

it may be inconvient for you but this hurts the most vonerable the most, the childeren.
and to pretend that childeren are not suffering and therefore not elegable to protest with LOVE and PAINTED HEARTS, is in my mind over looking the damage and devistation that has been wraught on american life at the hands of the banks enforced by the private police of bloomberg, is to say the childeren dont exist or will not suffer

childeren learn from injustice and learn not to be bullies from their parents,
maybe if your paerents had taken you to protests you would feel different

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I don't know what happened leading up to the protest, or why they had to take the hearts down immediately. Perhaps they had been warned ahead of time? Perhaps something else was coming in making it necessary? Perhaps they were just annoyed and being assholes? Don't know, don't care.

yes you conveinently forgot that alot of childeren are sleeping in cars and eating scaps,
you forgot that bank bonuses and forclosure has sent many millions onto the street to live,
many whom have childeren.

I didn't forget any of this. It is just irrelavent. Those paper hearts weren't keeping anybody warm or feeding anybody. In fact, if the parents wanted to attack the issues you speak of, then they could be teaching their kids a skill, or volunteering at a soup kitchen, or moving to an area with plenty of jobs. Making paper hearts and annoying the police doesn't seem like a great life lesson to address the concerns you are raising.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by DrumsRfun

using kids as pawns ...

but when politicians kiss babies or justify policies
claiming "it's for your kids good"
you have no problem with that.

Yeah thats a good argument

It has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about here.
Thank you...come again.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

i dont know if you realise it but,
there is now a movement of parents against wall street,
they are parents, they want a future for their childeren,
they are not political scientists, they are worryed at the social degredation of their society,
they cannot leave their childeren at home.
the childeren are part of this no matter how you look at it.

the childeren in the future will be able to protest as adults if they are protected from police violence
dont be short sighted,
this will effect the lives of ALL childeren for years to come

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wow, great parents. They drag their kids out on a freezing cold morning to force them in to a protest they don't understand. Then they stand there showing pictures of police officers. The pictures have no context, but the police are bullies. They don't mention than in several of those instances protesters had rushed police barricades, thrown drinks at officers, and shoved officers.

Cops are bullies when they stand up to protesters threatening them, assaulting them, attempting to destroy property, or violating the rights of others to travel and speak freely. Yet the protesters engaging in such activities are. . . Oh wait they don't mention any of those things.

I'm not saying that no cops have over done it. I am just thinking of that old saying, "remove the plank from your eye before you try to take the splinter from mine." Be intellectually honest and stop using kids to try gaining sympathy.

This wasn't the love of kids. This was the manipulation of parents to illicit a response they could use to manipulate emotions. It was a great way to help make sure their kids hate cops just like they do. You see, if the cops had left the hearts up it sets a precedent. Then the next time somebody wants to duct tape pictures up there and call it a protest the cops have to allow it. Other wise they can get sued. They were forcing the police to do something.

Now I have to ask, did the police warn them that the hearts would be torn down? Did the police ask them to stop? We don't know because the video has been editted to show one side of a story. Ask yourself if you know the whole story.

I really hate it for these kids. It was an emotional day and both sides did things that will stick with them. This is the face of protest though. I'm just glad it wasn't fire hoses and attack dogs like the old days. The police obviously didn't get rough with the crowd or try to "bully" them. They pulled down the hearts and went about their day.

As a cop I would have said, "I am sorry that I have to take these down kids. You obviously spent time and energy on them. However, public ordinance forbids their display in this area. I have to take them down right now. I will make sure the content of your message gets through to my commanding officers." Then I would have taken them down slowly and calmly. The officers on scene reacted to the provocation instead of thinking through their actions. They should have taken the time to engage the children directly and politely. (eta) I would have even offered to bag them and hand them all back to the adults. Then the obligation is on the adult to make sure they find a way to get the message through.

The big difference here is that OWS is not really asking for specific tangible things or offering plans. The civil rights movement had very tangible goals. We want equal rights as citizens and humans. We want to go to the same schools as white children and recieve equal education. We want to vote without poll taxes and literacy tests designed to stop us. We want to truly be American citizens as promised in the amendments of the constitution. Civil rights activist had children marching for a well defined goal. OWS has children marching to sow discord with a certain "class" of people.
edit on 13-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

who could look at the hearts and be offended? who can tell parents how to teach their childeren life lessons?

Probably the family of a cop that died in the line of duty trying to get some violent criminal off of the streets. That isn't the point though. The thing is, if they left the hearts up, they have to leave the next display up. Some group decides to post sexually suggestive or pictures in support of gay rights, tough you have to leave them up. Other wise you get sued for discrimination. Some body wants to hang graphic pictures of abused prisoners in China on the fence to protest trade policy, leave it up or get sued.

As far as, "this effects the kids," you're right. The disappearing middle class and wealth disparity does effect our children and their children. There was a girl in the video that appeared to be middle school age. If she came to her parents and asked to participate that is fine. Taking your two year old kid out on a freezing December morning to use as a political pawn is a parenting failure.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
Wow, great parents. They drag their kids out on a freezing cold morning to force them in to a protest they don't understand. Then they stand there showing pictures of police officers. The pictures have no context, but the police are bullies. They don't mention than in several of those instances protesters had rushed police barricades, thrown drinks at officers, and shoved officers.

first let me thank you for your well thought out position,
as is common with video it only tells the story of those who editted it,
the network media do it and people do it.
i take you at your word that there was provication before hand,
what would it take for parents to be so angry that they would bring children to show how angry they are?
at what desperate point would a parent take a child to a protest?
would you wait till every parent was out of a house before it would be alright to show outrage?
how many childeren are living in cars and tents right now?
how many more in a month?
do i agree with taking your child to a protest, darn tootin i do especially when childeren are suffereing the most, and without protests by those that are able who will stand up for the displaced? without seeing the faces of those who will be harmed the most how will there be any remose?

Cops are bullies when they stand up to protesters threatening them, assaulting them, attempting to destroy property, or violating the rights of others to travel and speak freely. Yet the protesters engaging in such activities are. . . Oh wait they don't mention any of those things.

we expect a very high standard of civic understanding of the society we live in from our police in new zealand,
they are "comunity constables" and must take into account our comunities needs and the law.

I'm not saying that no cops have over done it. I am just thinking of that old saying, "remove the plank from your eye before you try to take the splinter from mine." Be intellectually honest and stop using kids to try gaining sympathy.

i hope there was no threatning or assault, as any group who wish to join occupy must swear "non violent civic action" within the bounds of free assembly and free speach protest in the form or manner that that protest takes.
if it is painted paper hearts, it is still free speach, even from a child.
free speach does not state an age limit
these protestors represent a much larger number of families not able to afford to show disaproval in time and money because they are busy just trying to survive.

This wasn't the love of kids. This was the manipulation of parents to illicit a response they could use to manipulate emotions. It was a great way to help make sure their kids hate cops just like they do. You see, if the cops had left the hearts up it sets a precedent. Then the next time somebody wants to duct tape pictures up there and call it a protest the cops have to allow it. Other wise they can get sued. They were forcing the police to do something.

what does it say about a society that cannot accept the actions of a child?
the intention is not to make kids hate cops,
it was to show that the police no longer know how to interact on a human level with people that are suffereing.
where is the humanity?

Now I have to ask, did the police warn them that the hearts would be torn down? Did the police ask them to stop? We don't know because the video has been editted to show one side of a story. Ask yourself if you know the whole story.

i acept only one naritive to the story is presented in the short video.
mabey a tour through the tent cities would have made the point clearer,
so you can see the faces of the homless childeren who were made homless by wall street criminals who have not yet been prosicuted.

I really hate it for these kids. It was an emotional day and both sides did things that will stick with them. This is the face of protest though. I'm just glad it wasn't fire hoses and attack dogs like the old days. The police obviously didn't get rough with the crowd or try to "bully" them. They pulled down the hearts and went about their day.

i am indeed glad the police didnt overreact while suffering abuse

As a cop I would have said, "I am sorry that I have to take these down kids. You obviously spent time and energy on them. However, public ordinance forbids there display in this area. I have to take them down right now. I will make sure the content of your message gets through to my commanding officers." Then I would have taken them down slowly and calmly. The officers on scene reacted to the provocation instead of thinking through their actions. They should have taken the time to engage the children directly and politely.

you have displayed a true understanding of the situation and your actions would have been much more effective.
edit on 13-12-2011 by XPLodER because: fix brackets

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81
reply to post by XPLodER

Probably the family of a cop that died in the line of duty trying to get some violent criminal off of the streets. That isn't the point though. The thing is, if they left the hearts up, they have to leave the next display up. Some group decides to post sexually suggestive or pictures in support of gay rights, tough you have to leave them up. Other wise you get sued for discrimination. Some body wants to hang graphic pictures of abused prisoners in China on the fence to protest trade policy, leave it up or get sued.

i agree that its more complex than just hanging up some hearts, as there are other legal considerations, and tensions from both sides were high. there is a growing feeling that unless wall street gets prosicuted then more will suffer in the streets.

As far as, "this effects the kids," you're right. The disappearing middle class and wealth disparity does effect our children and their children.

i agree and it also effects police families.

There was a girl in the video that appeared to be middle school age. If she came to her parents and asked to participate that is fine. Taking your two year old kid out on a freezing December morning to use as a political pawn is a parenting failure.

there are two year olds in tents and cars right now in winter from bank fraud from wall street,
without something changing soon there will be more,

is a painted heart law really what this is about?

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
anyone who thinks its abhorent to bring kids to a protest,
what do you think about the banks throwing those same kids out in the street in winter,
where is the disproportionate attitude comming from?

is it equal to argue that the greater crime here is bringing kids to a protest?
or that criminal banks are fraudulently evicting families including kids?

who harms the society more?

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

What the banks did with the real estate derivitaves and junk bonds was morally corrupt. The fall out from what they did destroyed the economy. The bailout probably put the final nail in our coffin. I know first hand. The failed economy wiped out my small business and many of the businesses I worked with. I am pissed at them and believe that we need some serious change. That doesn't start by occupying Wall Street and making demands of people that act with impunity.

They need to head to DC. Occupy the Capital building if you want change. Work on a local level to build the foundation of strong opposition parties. The Green Party was moving along nicely and then it disappeared. You must work tirelessly from the ground up if you want to make a culture of change. That doesn't start by protesting cops. It starts by making changes in your life and your community.

I had an occupy protester (not in NY) in front of me at Wal Mart buying poster board and spray paint with a BOA debit card. You can sit in the park all night long. If you continue to feed the monster it will not matter.

i hope there was no threatning or assault, as any group who wish to join occupy must swear "non violent civic action"

I have seen a couple of "brutality" videos where protesters had rushed barricades or thrown cups and bottles of liquid at cops before things turned south. I even remember one video where you could actually see one protester walk up and grab the cops motorcycle as he cruised the yellow line trying to clear traffic. The OWS people have been better than most that protest the G20 and such. They have not been angels. Neither side has.

if it is painted paper hearts, it is still free speach, even from a child.

The question is, who's speech is it? If it is the speech of a teenage child trying to find her way, fine. If it is the scribling of a toddler who's hand was guided, is it the same? Does it cross the line in to indoctrination? The free speech aspect doesn't bother me as much as the possibilty that the children are being programmed to dislike certain people without getting a fair chance to make a balanced decision.

it was to show that the police no longer know how to interact on a human level with people that are suffereing.

I'll let the cops I work with know they have lost their humanity. The next time we remove a child being forced in to prostitution from the situation, I'll try to remember to act with humanity. The next time one of my coworkers gives a teenage runaway a ride to a place like Boys Town, I'll remind them to do so humanely.

There have been inhumane acts towards some protesters. However, we must remember that any act of violence will be met with the same. When protesters are violating the right of a business owner to open or operate his business they will be required to stop. When protesters block the rights of others to exercise the right of free travel, they will be told to stop. When they refuse to leave private property at the request of the owner they will be treated as tresspassers. Cops must maintain the rights of all persons. A lot of people that protest these days seem to forget that and try to paint any arrest or action by officers as unjust.

Before anybody brings up the cop that walked by and sprayed the kids in California, that dude was a douche and would be fired in my department.

mabey a tour through the tent cities would have made the point clearer,

Which tent cities? The ones OWS set up? A lot of foreclosures were made on people's second or third home. These were vacation homes and investment homes. Not every foreclosure was some poor pitiful kid being tossed in the streets. Times are tough but cities, communities, and families have rallied together.

Either way, that has nothing to do with this situation. This is about people calling cops bullys and forcing their kids to do the same. The cops didn't cause the problem and they didn't vote for the bailout. Most of them are just trying to make sure that the protests occur with minimal disruption to the rights of non protesters. Unfortunately this some times requires people to be arrested. When people refuse to comply a cop is not going to stand around and beg. He is even less likely to stand around twidling his thumbs if people are shoving barricades and throwing bottles.

I will freely admit somebody does need to look in to how things have been handled in California. From what I've read in the news and heard from residents those cops have been pretty out of hand in several cases. Somebody needs to march on the Attorney General out there and demand he investigate what seems to be a state wide issue of corruption and abuse.

edit on 13-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

What the banks did with the real estate derivitaves and junk bonds was morally corrupt. The fall out from what they did destroyed the economy. The bailout probably put the final nail in our coffin. I know first hand. The failed economy wiped out my small business and many of the businesses I worked with. I am pissed at them and believe that we need some serious change. That doesn't start by occupying Wall Street and making demands of people that act with impunity.

the reasoning for the ocupation of wall street is to show the corruption of wall street has lead to the corruption of the political system. the two are linked and the insider trading going on in congress is being exposed.
this serves two purposes, it shows the criminal behaviour responciable for protecting wall street interests.
and it shows that representitives have taken money and stock options (working for the private interest) while in public office. its a two headed monster and the primary target is to show illegal collusion of wall street and politicians, the reps are exempted from the law, but the corps are not imune to prosicution.

we can acually prosicute the heads of the corps that made off insider trading.

They need to head to DC. Occupy the Capital building if you want change. Work on a local level to build the foundation of strong opposition parties. The Green Party was moving along nicely and then it disappeared. You must work tirelessly from the ground up if you want to make a culture of change. That doesn't start by protesting cops. It starts by making changes in your life and your community.

the second order effect of exposing corruption of wall street and collusion with politicians in the non prosicution of the banks for fraud, will be a mass change in govenment at the grass roots level,
this pieceful thoughful righous indignation for the rule of law will require

prosicution of crimes on wall street and DC
or
non action (mass demonstrations of people against those with the power to prosicute)

either way the people now have a taste of freedom and will continue to make things more equatable for all,
not just the money changers

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I have seen a couple of "brutality" videos where protesters had rushed barricades or thrown cups and bottles of liquid at cops before things turned south. I even remember one video where you could actually see one protester walk up and grab the cops motorcycle as he cruised the yellow line trying to clear traffic. The OWS people have been better than most that protest the G20 and such. They have not been angels. Neither side has.

i do not condone violence from anyone.
it would be better for all peoples to respect each other as equals

The question is, who's speech is it? If it is the speech of a teenage child trying to find her way, fine. If it is the scribling of a toddler who's hand was guided, is it the same? Does it cross the line in to indoctrination? The free speech aspect doesn't bother me as much as the possibilty that the children are being programmed to dislike certain people without getting a fair chance to make a balanced decision.

i am against demonizing anyone especially to a child,
i hope the intention was not to insite hate,
as this is couter productive no matter the situation

I'll let the cops I work with know they have lost their humanity. The next time we remove a child being forced in to prostitution from the situation, I'll try to remember to act with humanity. The next time one of my coworkers gives a teenage runaway a ride to a place like Boys Town, I'll remind them to do so humanely.

i must admit it would be hard to be human when you deal with tough stuff on a regular basis,
but it must not harden the heart so much that you lose compasion.
i mean no disrespect to you or your fellow officers,

i mean to act in kindness is part of the job ?
which would be hard after years of dealing with hardened criminals,
i ask to show compasion to humanity as we are all people

There have been inhumane acts towards some protesters. However, we must remember that any act of violence will be met with the same. When protesters are violating the right of a business owner to open or operate his business they will be required to stop. When protesters block the rights of others to exercise the right of free travel, they will be told to stop. When they refuse to leave private property at the request of the owner they will be treated as tresspassers. Cops must maintain the rights of all persons. A lot of people that protest these days seem to forget that and try to paint any arrest or action by officers as unjust.

it truly is a fine line,
between the law the rights of the protestors the rights of the gen public ,the rights of the police.
all i ask is balence the human need and temper the frustrations.
remember you guys are trained to deal with these situations,
the gen public are not

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Which tent cities? The ones OWS set up? A lot of foreclosures were made on people's second or third home. These were vacation homes and investment homes. Not every foreclosure was some poor pitiful kid being tossed in the streets. Times are tough but cities, communities, and families have rallied together.

some are not so fourtunate and are living in tents outside of towns and cities, the very realy make the news.
some lost the only house they had through no fault of their own,
this has hurt more than just he rich

Either way, that has nothing to do with this situation. This is about people calling cops bullys and forcing their kids to do the same. The cops didn't cause the problem and they didn't vote for the bailout. Most of them are just trying to make sure that the protests occur with minimal disruption to the rights of non protesters. Unfortunately this some times requires people to be arrested. When people refuse to comply a cop is not going to stand around and beg. He is even less likely to stand around twidling his thumbs if people are shoving barricades and throwing bottles.

public order is kept by both people and police,
both can be and often are at fault.
i urge both sides to respect the other is in the exact same situation without knowing it.

I will freely admit somebody does need to look in to how things have been handled in California. From what I've read in the news and heard from residents those cops have been pretty out of hand in several cases. Somebody needs to march on the Attorney General out there and demand he investigate what seems to be a state wide issue of corruption and abuse.

i would like to see police standing up for citizens and citezens standing up for police.
i consider the police to be part of the 99%
just trying to make there way in life.

i would like to see the actions you suggested,
who would the sombody in this senario?
could a citizen approach the AG or would it be better coming from another officer?

would speaking out risk the job of an officer doing so?

xploder

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

public order is kept by both people and police,
both can be and often are at fault.
i urge both sides to respect the other is in the exact same situation without knowing it.

I think overall we are both very close to the same position on many things. Thank you for pointing out a bit about OWS that should have been obvious. I sometimes like a more direct approach and forget to appreciate the subtle ways of doing things.

I do agree that all police officers should realize that what happened on Wall Street effected everyone equally. There were a lot of state pension funds that were destroyed in 2008. A lot of cops retirements were effected. Cost of living raises were effected and thousands of officers were laid off as the economy sank.

Since wroking in a police department pretty much means we can can not participate in many forms of protest, we must remember these people can speak for us. We have to actively engage our community in a positive manner and work together to foster understanding. We must work together to create an atmosphere of respect and to speak out for each other where possible.

i would like to see the actions you suggested,
who would the sombody in this senario?
could a citizen approach the AG or would it be better coming from another officer?

The "proper" way is to file a complaint with the officer's chain of command. Most often the watch commander is the person to contact immeadiately. They can direct you to that department's internal department that deals with those issues. It also puts it on the record that you called. Most incoming calls are recorded. So, if you have the time, date, and person's name you can prove you called. Then you file a complaint with the apropriate internal organization.

Depending on the way things are set up in a particular area the next step may be to contact the Sheriff or state police. This should be done if you feel that your complaint was ignored or not given due dilligence. However, in California considerring the wide spread nature of the incidents the AG should make the call to have his department investigate what is going on. The Attorney General of the state runs their version of the Justice Department. He can order the state police to investigate and take action against departments seen to be involved in extreme violations of human rights, criminal activity, or corruption.

An individual should start local and work his way up to the AG. An officer should start with his chain of command and work up. If his chain of command seems to be involved he should go higher until he finds someone that seems clear of involvement.

Unfortunately in some places where corruption is extreme it can be dangerous to come forward. At the least you can risk alienation and a ruined career. However, there are many officers that risk the negative consequences to do what is right. Most corrupt cops are caught because another cop initiates a complaint that leads to an investigation.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The following are 16 shocking statistics about child poverty in America that will break your heart….

#1 Child homelessness in the United States is now 33 percent higher than it was back in 2007.

#2 According to the National Center on Family Homelessness, 1.6 millionAmerican children “were living on the street, in homeless shelters or motels, or doubled up with other families last year”.

#3 The percentage of children living in poverty in the United States increased from 16.9 percent in 2006 to nearly 22 percent in 2010. In the UK and in France the child poverty rate is well under 10 percent.

#4 A higher percentage of American children is living in poverty today than was living in poverty back in 1975.

#5 The number of children living in poverty in the U.S. has risen for four years in a row.

#6 There are 10 different U.S. states where at least one out of every four babies is born to a family living in poverty.

#7 Since 2007, the number of children living in poverty in the state of California has increased by 30 percent.

#8 According to the National Center for Children in Poverty, 36.4% of all children that live in Philadelphia are living in poverty, 40.1% of all children that live in Atlanta are living in poverty, 52.6% of all children that live in Cleveland are living in poverty and 53.6% of all children that live in Detroit are living in poverty.

#9 In the United States today, more than 35 percent of all African-American children are living in poverty and more than 33 percent of all Hispanic children are living in poverty.

#10 There are seven million children in the United States today that are not covered by health insurance at all.

#11 Today, one out of every seven Americans is on food stamps and one out of every four American children is on food stamps.

#12 It is being projected that approximately 50 percent of all U.S. children will be on food stamps at some point in their lives before they reach the age of 18.

#13 In 2010, 42 percent of all single mothers in the United States were on food stamps.

#14 There are 314 counties in the United States where at least 30% of the children are facing food insecurity.

#15 In Washington D.C., the “child food insecurity rate” is 32.3%.

#16 More than 20 million U.S. children rely on school meal programs to keep from going hungry.

source

these figuars are unaceptable.

xploder

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I think overall we are both very close to the same position on many things. Thank you for pointing out a bit about OWS that should have been obvious. I sometimes like a more direct approach and forget to appreciate the subtle ways of doing things.

I do agree that all police officers should realize that what happened on Wall Street effected everyone equally. There were a lot of state pension funds that were destroyed in 2008. A lot of cops retirements were effected. Cost of living raises were effected and thousands of officers were laid off as the economy sank.

Since wroking in a police department pretty much means we can can not participate in many forms of protest, we must remember these people can speak for us. We have to actively engage our community in a positive manner and work together to foster understanding. We must work together to create an atmosphere of respect and to speak out for each other where possible.

we all are the 99% including police.
we will protest on your behalf and for your families,
i will spread the word that police are to be thanked and not abused,

we must work together, and create an atmosphere of respect

we will speak out for the police and their families and their rights
we will support you

i cant speak for OWS, but i can put these points forward,
together the people and police can keep public order,
the police are not the "enemey"

we are the 99% hurt by the 1%

"occupy WITH the police" although they cannot protest with us some do support us, we must now support them in their needs, and deal with compasion.

i will ask for respect for the police, as they are protesting with us in spirit,
thank you for taking the time to talk with me

xploder

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join