It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTSB Recommends Ban On Driver Cell Phone Use

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Regarding the redundancy: Reckless Driving
Reckless driving in the 50 states

Reckless driving is a major moving traffic violation.[citation needed][where?] As a legal term, it is used within the United States. This offence has been abolished in the United Kingdom and replaced. It may be known as dangerous driving[citation needed] in places other than the United Kingdom (where it was a subset of the wider offence of dangerous driving).

It is usually a more serious offense than careless driving, improper driving, or driving without due care and attention and is often punishable by fines, imprisonment, and/or driver's license suspension or revocation.

Does there really have to be distraction specific laws?

Which begs the question: why?

What is the redundancy supposed to accomplish?

ETA: Ive been a cyclist for too long and know all too well how dangerous the roads are. I drive rarely and it's always with total concentration and defensive behaviors with speeds, following distances, conditions, two hands on the wheel, dont even have a radio, no cup holders, no gps or other gadgets....

Life is too precious to lose commuting to work or picking up a gallon of milk.
edit on 14-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There is enough stupid people driving on the roads. Allowing them to use a cell phone as well is suicide in my opinion. Nobody has any business on a cell phone while driving. Even head sets distract a person. They are not only dangerous, but they cause more traffic as well because the moron is always driving 10 to 15 miles below the speed limit. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Fwiw, as many people will die this year from "distracted driving" (ie cell phone use when driving) as died during the "9/11" Terrorist Attacks. In fact approximately 50,000 a year die from traffic fatalities. Shouldn't we fear other drivers then more than terrorists??

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by 74Templar

Regarding the redundancy: Reckless Driving
Reckless driving in the 50 states

Reckless driving is a major moving traffic violation.[citation needed][where?] As a legal term, it is used within the United States. This offence has been abolished in the United Kingdom and replaced. It may be known as dangerous driving[citation needed] in places other than the United Kingdom (where it was a subset of the wider offence of dangerous driving).

It is usually a more serious offense than careless driving, improper driving, or driving without due care and attention and is often punishable by fines, imprisonment, and/or driver's license suspension or revocation.

Does there really have to be distraction specific laws?

Which begs the question: why?

What is the redundancy supposed to accomplish?

ETA: Ive been a cyclist for too long and know all too well how dangerous the roads are. I drive rarely and it's always with total concentration and defensive behaviors with speeds, following distances, conditions, two hands on the wheel, dont even have a radio, no cup holders, no gps or other gadgets....

Life is too precious to lose commuting to work or picking up a gallon of milk.

After some thought I say I have to agree with you, in that there is no real line drawn between what is distracting when in a car. Mobiles are just an added nuisance that have taken over people's attention so much so they cannot go 10 seconds without checking it to see if they have a new text.
Education here is the key rather than slapping fines or technicalities on drivers. As we have both previously stated, drivers should be subject to witnessing the aftermath of their actions, whether it be on two, four or eighteen wheels. The problem is we are taught to drive by our families or friends, and pick up their bad habits as well as forming our own when taking to the roads.
If people are shown the consequences of their actions in the most gruesome way possible, despite what the whiny right to lifers say, if people are actually taught how to drive, ie; negotiate the vehicle properly, defensive driving, pre-emptive driving, etc, rather than just getting behind the wheel and being shown the road rules, then the whole issue would really be moot, because people would have a greater level of common sense and understanding, not to mention greater driving skills, which would eliminate the need for such laws.
I've always believed the governments of the world don't do this because there is more money to be made in skimming people's cash for pointless laws and technicalities, than it is to actually teach people how to operate their vehicles properly and safely, which really is the core issue here.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It is a deception. Likely they are disarming the citizens in a new way. Information is power. The phone is information. What about radio? 2 way radio I mean. Cops yes, citizens no? What about eating, shaving, doing your makeup. No, driving distracted and crashing is already illegal. Banning mobile communications is something else, no doubt for nefarious reasons.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I understand the negligence involved in the tragic crash, but even the smallest distraction such as drinking coffee (many adults' daily ritual driving to work) will impair a driver's perception. Our tax dollars can be invested somewhere else, such as funding state governments

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I can see how it would be extremely dangerous to text while driving. I am very much against that. Even manually dialing a phone and holding it while driving can be dangerous. What I fail to understand, however, is how talking on a hands free device is any different than talking to someone who is physically present in the car. I wonder if they will try to ban that next? I don't see how this legislation can be passed with all of the big car makers shipping their cars with pre installed phones. Those companies have a vested interest in the public using their technology. Does anyone know what the proposed fines are for non compliance?

--Guy
The Inconvenient Truth
edit on 14-12-2011 by gmccardle because: used incorrect HTML

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
People do all kinds of stupid things while driving. Eating, applying make up, shaving, etc. As has been said there is no need to specify the distraction and it should all be wreckless driving.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well it could be a good idea when you have people like this driving quote from another thread.

Originally posted by denniscole
Hello everyone I am Dennis Cole It is me in the you tube. The video was filed on Thursday Dec 8th at aprx 8pm I left work around 7pm in Carbondale Illinois usually takes me an hour to get home I stopped to get a cup of coffee because I was tired I was on the phone with a buddy of mine and i noticed lights in the sky ahead of me I didnt think much of it figured at 1st it was a medical helicopter or plane I was on the phone aprx 5 min into the phone call I noticed the lights was still in the sky basically hovering I thought maybe it was a cell tower they just put up maybe. I kept drivin when I was getting closer I could make out the lights were in a triangle formation and would move then hover The phone I was talking on was not the Iphone it was a regular phone I had my Iphone plugged in my radio I unhooked the usb connection and I just remembered I was in such shook It took 3 trys to get the video camera on while I was driving and filming I was on the flip phone talking I was looking at the IPhone screen and could not see the triangle lights on it.

So Mr Cole thought it was alright to be on one phone and video with another and drive at the same time chasing what he thought was a UFO but was most likely aircraft lights in the distance.

DO YOU ALL want idiots like that in a car!

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmccardle
I can see how it would be extremely dangerous to text while driving. I am very much against that. Even manually dialing a phone and holding it while driving can be dangerous. What I fail to understand, however, is how talking on a hands free device is any different than talking to someone who is physically present in the car. I wonder if they will try to ban that next? I don't see how this legislation can be passed with all of the big car makers shipping their cars with pre installed phones. Those companies have a vested interest in the public using their technology. Does anyone know what the proposed fines are for non compliance?

--Guy
The Inconvenient Truth
edit on 14-12-2011 by gmccardle because: used incorrect HTML

Well they have done tests which show that if you concentrate to much on your phone call you have similar reaction times as a drunk driver thats why!

www.distraction.gov...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Hi Spar,

NZ has long banned cells for drivers.

A big country needs to learn a lesson from a little country.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I can spot a person that is talking on a cell phone while driving within seconds... They literally will fall in behind you at an unsafe distance and focus on your back bumper while zoned out thinking of anything other than being a responsible driver... If you are to pull of onto the shoulder and slow to allow then to pass they will follow you onto the shoulder and momentarily snap out of there trance just in time to keep from rear ending you or you will be forced to speed up to avoid being hit.... If you are to accelerate to make a safe following distance between them and yourself they will do the same even to speeds as high as 90MPH on a two lane rural highway with curves and hills that limit the distance that you can see oncoming traffic approaching from, sometimes while passing slower moving traffic and over the center line heading right for you which at the 60MPH limit would cause you to be rear ended if you were to hit your brakes.I have seen them run stop signs, make right hand turns at red signal lights without coming to a stop or bothering to look to their left before doing so.... If they are in front of you and there is no one they are dialed in on in front of them they are all over the road crossing the center line and going on to the shoulder while driving half the speed limit on roads that have no passing signs and double yellow center lines for stretches of miles.... I would imagine that most people that use cell phones while driving will say they don't do any of these things and maybe 20% don't on a regular basis but they are sure to at times..... Driving is not a God given right but a privilege that requires a persons undivided attention 100% of the time to avoid accidents .... Myself and my wife pull over to the shoulder or into a place we can park and return a call or do likewise to make a call unless it is very late at night with very sparse traffic on a highway and then we say what needs to be said and end the call... That may happen twice a year if even that often.....The first few times that I noticed people driving dangerously while talking on a cell phone I actually thought that they were stoned, or even worse, drunk out of their minds....

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Why would this be on 'breaking alternative news?'.
Here in the UK it has been against the law for some time to drive and use a hand held phone. That said you still see people even pulling out of junctions - distracted because they are on their phone. People need protecting from these selfish morons. I think they should lock them up and throw away the key.

edit on 15-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Enemyc0mbatant

So don't do it!

You're the reason the governments of the world always resort to tyranny.

Seriously, you know it's a bad idea and you still do it?'You need an act of congress to make you stop doing it? Would you even stop under an act of congress? Seeing as how you do it knowing it's a bad idea anyway I have my doubts you'd stop doing even if it was law.

You're like the guy who ends up with cirhosis after years of being blackout puking drunk then cries "there outta be a law!!"

Jesus man. Jesus.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Tyranny huh? Why because I use my cellphone? Ooooookkkkkk....... Btw I had a buddy crash and die due to texting.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Enemyc0mbatant because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
While I am not normally a fan of laws inhibiting people too much ( I am against the mandatory seatbelt law as I do not think you should be forced to wear one, and it really was overused as an excuse just to pull people over) but this is something I can get behind. A couple years ago, I was at a stop sign a block from my house when a lady on her phone hit me at 58mph, I died, literally at the scene for 3 minutes. I had a number of broken bones,(legs hands arms, some cracked vertebrae) the impact was hard enough to shear the bolts that hold the seat to the floorboard off.

She stated that she was telling her friend that she was discussing the "cute guy in the convertible" when she hit me as she didn't see that traffic was stopped at the stop sign and was also excessively speeding. From that point on, I have serious issues when people are behind me while on their phone, enough so that for awhile I would pull over or switch lanes. I do not think a ban on phones while driving is such a terribly bad thing. If it is an emergency, I can relate and understand that. Having said that, most times it is not mission critical that you should be on the phone, and texting is 10 times worse than just talking. I tend to be really harsh on people that call me while driving, but from past experience, I think I have the right to do so lol

Until there is a complete hands free system ( like in BMW's and others) where it will swap to the cars internal system I think something along these lines should be in place.

Just my 2c from having been on the receiving end of someone not paying attention and talking on the phone.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join