It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTSB Recommends Ban On Driver Cell Phone Use

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You wont find me arguing against this...

I think when your driving, you should be driving, not eating a burrito or talking on the phone.

I have almost been hit by people on cell phones so many times

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

Why dont they install software that prevents the phone from functioning when moving faster than 30 MPH? If it was up to me I would make it mandatory.

What about passengers? or those on trains & planes?

No, this solution won't work...police just have to ticket the drivers using phones. Offenders who say they were wrongly accused can prove the ticketing officer was wrong by bringing phone records to court. It's a no brainer that using a phone/texting should be illegal while behind the wheel.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
1) Distracted driving is already an offense. Do we really need to take up limitless volumes specifically listing every single distraction?

2) In states where this ban has been enacted there has not been a decrease in use while driving incidents so what's the point?

3) Traffic fatalities are at an all time low.

4) In states where this ban has been enacted the "beautiful people" are under no obligation to abide such as politicians and cops. Have they had extreme phone training or something?

5) In car radio communication via FM, HAM or CB is not affected in states prohibiting cell phones use. Are radio operators especially trained for driving while chatting? Driving while tuning a signal? No, they arent. So why the inconsistent exception?

no reduction in collisions

laws banning cell phone use have no affect

phone bans dont reduce accidents

traffic fatalities at all-time low

So why should I support such a measure? Any real concrete reason that isnt based on fear and fantasy?

Yet, your statistics don't discount what myself, and many others see every day on our way to work, school, supermarket, wherever we're going. I'm not discounting your point, but I, as well as many I know, and apparently other ATS members experience this themselves, everyday see people causing risk to other drivers while screwing around on their phones.

Statistics didn't change a damn thing when I was almost side swiped by a driver on her cell phone last month. And yes, no accident occurred, but it's because I half expect it every time I leave home.

As for your fear and fantasy comment, if it wasn't for my fear of drivers on cell phones, and other stereotypes I won't list, but have truth to them, my car would be in the repair shop every month. I know what I see on the roadways, and many others see the same things.
edit on 13-12-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by RedParrotHead

Yes you and SpartanKingLeonidas have very good points that I didn't think about.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

If someone on a cell phone causes an accident, PUNISH them. Take the car. Take their license for a decade or longer. Punish the offender. Don't legislate to the lowest common denominator.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It looks like we have a "drunk on the mule" problem. He falls off one side, gets back on and falls off the other side.

You shouldn't be talking on a cell or texting on a cell period while driving. It's dangerous!

I read that and my eyes blurred a little and the sentences changed to read:

You shouldn't be .................... It's dangerous!

My mind filled in the gaps: "walking without a helmet and pads," "riding a motorcycle," "weighing more than the government standard," "having anal sex." No, wait a minute, that one's OK. "talking to strangers," "having a second drink," "skipping a flu shot," "home schooling your kids," "eating at McDonald's more than twice a week," or "using firecrackers.

As a poster said earlier, let's fix the problem when it occurs, because there is no way to stop a bureaucrat who starts getting away with using that sentence. Ban everything that a multi-million dollar study finds might hurt someone?

OK, my position is a little extreme, but it would be best for the country to consider that position very seriously.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

If someone on a cell phone causes an accident, PUNISH them. Take the car. Take their license for a decade or longer. Punish the offender. Don't legislate to the lowest common denominator.

If you read my earlier post, you'd see I said we should start revoking licenses left and right, because of how many people show daily they can't handle the responsibility. But which is more likely? And why did you say that given my previous post? You wouldn't jump to a conclusion without reading the thread would you?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I agree with it in principle but it is only a drop in the bucket and they don't need another speficic law for it. There is no end to the stupidity of some drivers. I've literally seen people perform the following while driving (and not while sitting in traffic or moving slow mind you) so if you want scary, cell phones are the least of our worries:

Reading the newspaper/a book.

Using their laptop.

Brushing their teeth/shaving/putting on makeup

Changing their clothes.

Completely turned around digging for something in the back seat.

Eating..using both hands. ( I don't even want to know what they were holding the steering wheel with.)

Playing with a rubiks cube
Doing that driving with the elbows routine.

Licking their window... maybe they couldn't see out of it?

Playing PSP or something equivalent.

Lifting (bicep curls). Granted it was only one hand but still.

Then you just have people who are bad drivers on top of all the idiots. And some old people really need to stop driving. You don't go into reverse on a highway and you shouldn't be driving if you shake uncontrollably. I really can't wait for the day cars drive themselves because it seems people will find any excuse to not look at the road.

edit on 13-12-2011 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

If you read my earlier post, you'd see I said we should start revoking licenses left and right, because of how many people show daily they can't handle the responsibility. But which is more likely? And why did you say that given my previous post? You wouldn't jump to a conclusion without reading the thread would you?
You said "either or" in the post to which you refer. I disagree with your first choice of punishing everybody by disallowing electronics. I prefer to punish only the offenders.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DetectiveT
I agree with it in principle but it is only a drop in the bucket and they don't need another speficic law for it. There is no end to the stupidity of some drivers. I've literally seen people perform the following while driving (and not while sitting in traffic or moving slow mind you) so if you want scary, cell phones are the least of our worries:

Reading the newspaper/a book.

Using their laptop.

Brushing their teeth/shaving/putting on makeup

Changing their clothes.

Completely turned around digging for something in the back seat.

Eating..using both hands. ( I don't even want to know what they were holding the steering wheel with.)

Playing with a rubiks cube
Doing that driving with the elbows routine.

Licking their window... maybe they couldn't see out of it?

Playing PSP or something equivalent.

Lifting (bicep curls). Granted it was only one hand but still.
And if THEY cause an accident, punish THEM.

Then you just have people who are bad drivers on top of all the idiots. And some old people really need to stop driving. You don't go into reverse on highway and you shouldn't be driving if you shake uncontrollably. I really can't wait for the day cars drive themeselves because it seems people will find any excuse to not look at the road.
I never want to be in that situation. I want to control my car. I do not trust computers to do a better job than I do, and that is not even considering the Orwellian possibilities arising from allowing someone else to control you like that.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
As mentioned in earlier posts in the UK we have this law.........now I see more people driving with a phone to their ear, these laws will only affect the few and not bother the majority who will flout the law, considering those in seats of power who "need" to be connected at all times will there be a separate law for them ??

Will SatNavs and the older style paper maps be included in this law, along with eating / drinking / picking ya nose / putting some lipstick on etc...........hell we are adults and accidents happen, how about wearing the wrong footwear or taking you eye off the road to change the radio channel / cd or tape.

I believe in destiny and when your time is up it is up regardless of all the nanny state regs that come into force

Wolfie

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You said "either or" in the post to which you refer. I disagree with your first choice of punishing everybody by disallowing electronics. I prefer to punish only the offenders.

So you'd rather wait until there's a victim? Gotcha.

If there is a law which can prevent innocent, good drivers from becoming casualties, why not do it? Why wait until after someone becomes a victim? People are far too attached to their cell phones. Humanity lasted a pretty long time without cell phones in cars, did we not?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

If there is a law which can prevent innocent, good drivers from becoming casualties, why not do it? Why wait until after someone becomes a victim? People are far too attached to their cell phones. Humanity lasted a pretty long time without cell phones in cars, did we not?
It isn't just cell phones. It is the precedent set by giving the government that kind of power over us. Wake up and smell the slave pens.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I don't condone texting or phone calls while driving. All too often, I've seen near misses on the road caused by a person talking on a cell phone. There was something about this story, though, that made me wonder what the bus drivers were doing that they couldn't stop in time to avoid a serious collision.

A little farther down in the article is this:

Investigators also found significant problems with the brakes of both school buses involved in the accident. A third school bus sent to a hospital after the accident to pick up students crashed in the hospital parking lot when that bus' brakes failed.

So maybe the buses couldn't stop.

However, the brake problems didn't cause or contribute to the severity of the accident, investigators said.

Really? Two school buses with " significant problems" with their brakes wouldn't have contributed to the severity of the accident?

Again, I don't condone texting while driving and feel that drivers that do that should be penalized. It just seems to me, in this case, there's more to the story than is being told.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
No texting while driving and no cell phone use at all if you're under 18 in my area.

Lucky for me I am over 18. Oh, and last time I checked I pay my own car payment, insurance, sales tax, excise tax, I pay for parking, I pay for snow removal, I buy my own gas, pay for the maintenance on my own car and when I hit a pot hole bigger than my house, I even pay to replace my own tires..... so... screw em.

Everyone, and I mean everyone in my area is crazy on the road anyway... take your life in your hands on the morning commute into the city regardless of who is doing what with whatever device. If you're not doing 100, you're going way too slow...

Once again it's an opportunity to have more control, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I've done the SAME thing. Luckily, it was so minor we didn't even have damage...but I still bumped someone's bumper. Kids are MUCH more distracting than my phone. If it's dark or rainy, or if we are in some stressful traffic (think driving around Atlanta) I wll most definitely ask everyone to stop talking so I can focus on the road!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Yet, your statistics don't discount what myself, and many others see every day on our way to work, school, supermarket, wherever we're going. I'm not discounting your point, but I, as well as many I know, and apparently other ATS members experience this themselves, everyday see people causing risk to other drivers while screwing around on their phones.

Statistics didn't change a damn thing when I was almost side swiped by a driver on her cell phone last month. And yes, no accident occurred, but it's because I half expect it every time I leave home.

As for your fear and fantasy comment, if it wasn't for my fear of drivers on cell phones, and other stereotypes I won't list, but have truth to them, my car would be in the repair shop every month. I know what I see on the roadways, and many others see the same things.

You seem to missing a key point. Nothing changed once these laws were enacted. The violations persist.

So what you see everyday will still occur. That woman who nearly side-swiped you still would have nearly side-swiped you under the law.

Just buy a magic protection rock and keep it on your dashboard. The result will be the same.

Even with the laws and the enforcement the number of offenders stays flat and sometimes even increases.

So you want a useless law that has been proven to enable no change whatsoever to exist on the books for what purpose? It isnt safety because that has been proven not to be the result. So what is it you want?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I don't believe in relying in legislation to control everything. However, anyone texting while driving is a complete moron. There was some woman in my town that crashed into the Christmas parade, because she was texting AND INTOXICATED while driving.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
double post.
edit on 12-13-2011 by jaymp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
In my state there is already a ban on texting and driving. And anyone under 18 can't even use a phone while driving.

If you're over 18 and are caught texting and driving... it's a $100 ticket.

The problem is... I've noticed that since the law was passed... the only thing it's done is distracted those texters more. People who text and drive are usually selfish enough that they feel they have the right to put others in danger. Or rather, they feel they are the exception. The law is passed and they feel, "I've texted and driven with no consequences... this law shouldn't apply to me."
So they end up continuing to text and drive, just this time... they have to try and hide it. So not only are they distracted by the initial text they are typing up, they are also distracted by looking around for police or hiding their phone in their lap (which makes it even more difficult to text).

Personally, I was never a fan of using my phone in the car. It's too distracting. Sometimes I don't even pick up calls when I'm driving. The only time I DO use my phone in my car... is if my car is completely stopped. Like at a red light or stop sign at an empty intersection (as long as no one is behind me... after all, I don't want to slow other drivers down by taking longer at a stop sign than necessary).
And honestly, people texting and talking on the phone on the highway is one of the scarier things I've seen. There have been many occasions that I've almost been side swiped by some ditzy female on her phone.

Usually I have to execute extreme acceleration just to get around these people, while they are swerving between lanes and texting, without getting hit. For some reason they can never stay in their lane (because they aren't paying attention) so I have to pass them as quickly as possible.

And that's another weird thing. It's usually only women that I see texting and talking on their phones while driving. Why on earth is that? I'm a woman, and I don't text and drive. What is up with these other chicks who think the law doesn't apply to them? Or maybe they know the law applies to them, but they are just deluded enough to think that they can drive and text without any consequences because they are perfect or something.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join