It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NTSB Recommends Ban On Driver Cell Phone Use

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

NTSB Recommends Ban On Driver Cell Phone Use

apnews.myway.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - States should ban all driver use of cell phones and other portable electronic devices, except in emergencies, the National Transportation Board said Tuesday.

The recommendation, unanimously agreed to by the five-member board, applies to both hands-free and hand-held phones and significantly exceeds any existing state laws restricting texting and cellphone use behind the wheel.

The board made the recommendation in connection with a deadly highway pileup in Missouri last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pentagon "NTSB animation" is wrong!
Flight 77 FDR info from NTSB FOIA
Balsamo wrong again - NTSB map rotation
No NTSB Investigation

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The picture below is from the original story.

Let us hope there were no children on that School Bus.

Too few American citizens even know what the N.T.S.B. is without a plane gone down, a major traffic accident that could have been prevented, or some other incident that we usually take for granted.

I am however one of those few select citizen who follows everything they do.

Quote from : Wikipedia : National Transportation Safety Board

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent U.S. government investigative agency responsible for civil transportation accident investigation.

In this role, the NTSB investigates and reports on aviation accidents and incidents, certain types of highway crashes, ship and marine accidents, pipeline incidents and railroad accidents.

When requested, the NTSB will assist the military with accident investigation.

The NTSB is also in charge of investigating cases of hazardous materials releases that occur during transportation. Deborah Hersman was appointed as NTSB Chairman in July 2009.

Christopher A. Hart was designated Vice Chairman on August 18, 2009 for a two-year term.

The agency is based in Washington, D.C.

It has nine regional offices around the country and runs a training center in Ashburn, Virginia.

They are in fact one of those organization who have power which is rarely questioned by the average citizen, and have been picked apart by conspiracy theorists on events like 9/11.

Due to the stupidity of drivers they are flexing their muscle now.

I remember my first driving and trying to use a cell phone.

After it I immediately went to hand-free and only used it for emergency purposes while driving.

This is as well I believe a push towards those cars, through one small political push, with the sync up of your cell phone, so that we have our every movement tracked by not only OnStar, but cell phone towers, in order to triangulate our whereabouts.

I have been talking about OnStar and cell towers for a very long time.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
one person screws up and they ban it from the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I doubt Paris Hilton and Lindsy Lohan will listen to that law.

Or, half the state regulators, Republicans, Democrats. etc...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why dont they install software that prevents the phone from functioning when moving faster than 30 MPH? If it was up to me I would make it mandatory.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Handheld devices are already banned in BC and for good reason. It's scary as **** driving behind someone texting on their phone. There have been studies done (I AM NOT going to source it for you if you're to lazy to look it up) that shows talking/texting while driving is comparable, if not worse ,for some people, than being drunk.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I figured the Americans would already have a ban on this. In Canada it's not allowed, people still do it though. It's like a speeding ticket if you get caught.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
This is as well I believe a push towards those cars, through one small political push, with the sync up of your cell phone, so that we have our every movement tracked by not only OnStar, but cell phone towers, in order to triangulate our whereabouts.

Wait, you are already triangulated with your cell phone. I used Google Maps on my Blackberry, and when I activate it, and before GPS kicks in, it would show my approximate triangulated position. If you mean that such info will be made public -- I'm less than sure.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
All for it! On a motorcycle you watch drivers closely. I have never been closer to becoming"road pizza" than when sharing the road with cellphone yakking"(young,... female... )people.

Inthis case "there oughta' be a law" and I hate laws in general..

Face it(!) all you "knee drivers" you CAN'T stop texting.

Just like I can't seem to keep from coming back here;( daily) just to see which incoming comet is "cloaked" and gonna unleash the alien invasion!

edit on 13-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
Handheld devices are already banned in BC and for good reason. It's scary as **** driving behind someone texting on their phone. There have been studies done (I AM NOT going to source it for you if you're to lazy to look it up) that shows talking/texting while driving is comparable, if not worse ,for some people, than being drunk.

I can't believe some people are THAT stupid -- to text when driving. I mean, hands free phone might actually be OK in some circumstances, but I suppose still present an incremental risk. But texting???

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This morning Kim Komando said that since no-texting laws have gone into affect, MORE people are actually texting than ever. So the laws haven't stopped the unsafe practice.

If you can't do hands-free talking on the cell phone, then can you speak to your passengers? Because that is just as distracting. The most distracted I've EVER been is when my boys were toddlers riding in the backseat. Maybe they should ban toddlers.
edit on 13-12-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: hyphen for clarification

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
As long as they don't look up your phone history when they pull you over to see if you were just on the phone/texting.. Isn't this the next logical step?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Because it will totally stop people from using their phones while driving. Just like Prohibition stopped drinking, and The War On Drugs stops pot smokers.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
one person screws up and they ban it from the rest of us.

You honestly think they would ban cell phone use while driving because of one driver?

I think you had better dig deeper into what the N.T.S.B. does and fact check.

Otherwise you're not doing your due diligence as a citizen and conspiracy theorist.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The UK have a ban on this and had it for awhile now. It does make sense to be fair, the reality of it is, it does impair your concentration. If it saves lives im all for it, even if the ban wouldn't apply to me

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I doubt Paris Hilton and Lindsy Lohan will listen to that law.

Or, half the state regulators, Republicans, Democrats. etc...

Paris Hilton has a driver so that point is moot.

Lindsay Lohan however is another matter altogether.

And the state regulators are too busy stealing money.

While Republican's, and Democrat's, and I assume you mean the House of Representatives, are too busy scheming to rob us blind, steal everything we have, and basically screw the American public, not to mention take money from lobbyists to drive and use their cell phones.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
As long as they don't look up your phone history when they pull you over to see if you were just on the phone/texting.. Isn't this the next logical step?

They already do that if you are involved in an accident.

So yes, you're right.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Several municipalities around me have banned texting while driving. (still not a primary offense though) There is however a major problem and calamity waiting in the wings. I see the problem everyday in my own neighborhood.

I live near the local High School and Middle School and I am on a popular street for the kids that walk and ride bikes as well as the car drivers to and from school. The problem is that they are all distracted at the same time. The walkers are buried in their devices as the cross the streets without looking. The bike riders are texting while riding. The car drivers are texting while driving. Add all of that to the preexisting carefree mindset of the adolescent student and you've got big trouble brewing. No one is looking out for the other guy. Just ask a cyclist or anyone on a motorcycle. Its more dangerous now than ever before on the road.

The teenager who was texting just prior to the accident depicted in the OP sent over 10 messages in the one minute prior to the collision.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
Why dont they install software that prevents the phone from functioning when moving faster than 30 MPH? If it was up to me I would make it mandatory.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

They already have technology in the newer vehicles to be able to kill the engine.

One modification away from limiting your Freedom of Speech with what you suggest.

While I do not believe people should irresponsibly drive and talk I do not want Government control of any sort over my vehicle in the way of stopping my vehicle, and or controlling any element of my cell phone via their shutting it off like you suggest.

There is far too much Government control and not enough citizen control and responsibility.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by Vardoger

I can't believe some people are THAT stupid -- to text when driving. I mean, hands free phone might actually be OK in some circumstances, but I suppose still present an incremental risk. But texting???

Yes people are that irresponsible (dangerous)..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join