It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet service outages across the USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Millions of windstream customers without Internet as of early this morning. Windstream says its due to a DNS server going down.

lancasteronline.com...

www.thedahloneganugget.com... icle

Sure glad I have a backup connection. Thank goodness for teathering.

This is my first news post so please bear with me. Thanks

Not to sidetrack off topic but perhaps this is a test of the Internet kill switch.
edit on 13-12-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: Fixed link

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Really? Start of the kill switch? I highly doubt it.....
I think you're reaching for something thats not there. Its a simple downed server...thats it!

All this fear mongering is getting out of control!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
No I personally believe its just hardware failure. But with some of the other topics on the forum I thought I'd throw that out there, I'm sure someone would eventually

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I was wondering why my internet is slow today!

China virus?
edit on 13-12-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

Give me a few and I will get an email from Techs with Windstream on the official reasoning.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Seems to be...
DNS (domain name system) server somewhere in the network was unable to translate Web sites names into the numeric code that makes up IP addresses.

But the are still investigating what caused it.

Service was restored to most by 9:30am.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My internet is crap this morning. Not quite ISDN speed, but not much better than that. If I get back from class early i'll run a few tests and see how far the bottleneck goes. Even with all its redundancies, the internet is a fragile thing. Snip a few fiberoptics here, crash a few routers there and we get nothing but error pages.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ok, DNS server crash was Legacy Windstream.
It was a crash and nothing more.
If it were something more devious, then the Legacy McLeod USA and PAETEC customers would have been hit as well, as they are all one company now, just that the Legacy Windstream Network has not been meshed yet with the Legacy PAETEC network.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This happened last week to some people I know of with verizon DSL service.

Then yesterday a wide area of frontier DSL customers including myself had no internet for most of the day. When I contacted them there was a recording stating the outages, that they were working on the problem and had no idea when it would be fixed. The message also said they had no idea what had happened.

To make things even funnier during the time I wrote this it went out again briefly and had to reset the modem.
edit on 13-12-2011 by IncognitoGhostman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join