It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I can't believe it's not $500.00/lb butter!"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Those of you who know me know that I like to dabble in the political side of things.

Just recently (on another thread) someone was extolling the virtues of Norway/the Netherlands as a perfect example of what society would be like if America adopted the same political structure.

I can't imagine what America would look like if butter got that high.

edit on 13-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Yes beezzer, you are right! We should allow corporate oligarchies to completely control and rule the markets, and therefor there will never be a butter shortage again!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
Is milk that expensive too?
Why can't they just shake a jar of cow nectar for awhile?

There's a little more to it than that. Butter comes from cream, & it can take several gallons of milk, depending on how much butterfat it contains, to get one pound of butter.

If the milk has been homoginized, you can't separate the cream from it.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
another possibility is price speculation and selling to the highest bidder. i am led to understand that there is a high demand for butter in europe due to some fad diet type thing. it could also possibly be factory demand for the production of chocolate goodies and christmas snacks.
f

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You'd be surprised. I had a friend visit Afghanistan as a contractor and told me about the sticky situation at their customs .. a man with 3 suitcases filled with .... honey. He got caught, they opened the cases, honey went everywhere. Apparently it's very rare and people a lot of money for it. So why not sell it on the black market.

Norway has strict rules on their dairy market, as well as genetically modified foods, so most Butter in the US, if we donated, would likely be turned away. The Government is blaming the shortage on a Norwegian move to "fattier foods" whatever that means.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

1st line
it is correct that an 'obesity' type tax came in november, either last year or this year. sooo many laws....
f

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Norway has strict rules on their dairy market, as well as genetically modified foods, so most Butter in the US, if we donated, would likely be turned away.

OMG those crazy Norwegians...with their...their...STANDARDS! BOMB THEM!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Or adopt their standards?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Or adopt their standards?

That doesnt sound very profitable...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Nope.. sure doesn't. But that's the beauty of America: You can choose to poison yourself or you can choose to spend a few more dollars and eat real food without poison. If only I can convince by health insurance company that buying my organic groceries should be considered preventive medicine by lowering health risks such as cancer.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I can't remember when the last time I had butter was..

Is it really a necessary food?

If they have a "fat" problem then perhaps it's best if they DON'T have butter to make all those cookies...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

If only I can convince by health insurance company that buying my organic groceries should be considered preventive medicine by lowering health risks such as cancer.

Good luck, brother! Why is it that an insurance company WOULDNT do that? Oh right, the profit thing,,,,

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
This just goes to show that no matter what country you are in,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There are too many laws..............

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
the entire "situation " is one of micro management , thats why the " crisis " is confined to butter , buy default i assume cream is also affected too

the norgies have some absolutley brilliant qualities , but thier tarriffs , taxation and price controls are utterly insane

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
i may be ` away for about 10 days `
- butter here [ the uk - is £4.16 ~ 7.28 GBP / kilo ] , i just need to get a quote for 8 tons of fuel oil - lol

if i can sell butter i am buying @ £5000 / tonne for over £700ooo

i will be off

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
Is milk that expensive too?

Why can't they just shake a jar of cow nectar for awhile? That's what DaddyBare would have suggested...I miss that member.

I was thinking that is what the pioneers would have done, churned their own butter.

What happened to Daddy Bare? I like his practical and common sense posts.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

daddybare? i think he changed his handle to grandpa dave or something near to it.
2nd
f

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join