It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I can't believe it's not $500.00/lb butter!"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Norway butter shortage threatens Christmas treats

That's right folks. That shining example of the mix of free trade and nationalism.

An acute butter shortage in Norway, one of the world's richest countries, has left people worrying how to bake their Christmas goodies with store shelves emptied and prices through the roof.
The shortfall, expected to last into January, amounts to between 500 and 1,000 tonnes, said Tine, Norway's main dairy company, while online sellers have offered 500-gramme packs for up to 350 euros ($465).

www.timeslive.co.za...

If one of the "world's richest countries" can't even have butter on dish, then what cn the rest of us expect?

As always, much love,
beez

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The United States sends out billions in aid to real nasty countries and calls it a necessary part of doing business in the world. Our friends in Norway are obviously experiencing serious issues with a staple food item and just before Christmas too. How about Uncle Sam show some decency just once for the sake of the season and toss some aid in the form of a few Galaxy cargo transports loaded to the weight limits with butter.

Call it a gift of good will after all the mixed messages coming out of our White House lately.... Call it the right thing to do for a fellow ally in obvious need.. Whatever he calls it, just GET IT DONE. It's not right that we sit here on mountains of butter any American can go pick up by the pallet load at Sams or Costco while Norway goes without for their Holiday cooking.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Sorry. All our money went to Pakistan.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So you're saying I can make lots of extra cash this Christmas by selling butter to Norway? Speaking of which, what's to stop them from ordering butter online from other countries? It would be far cheaper to buy it overseas and pay for the delivery charges.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
One may well ask why they don't just use margarine instead.

I don't use margarine because it is phony food, it is nothing but trans-fats and fake coloring. There is nothing like real butter for baking! Rich, crumbly butter cookies......real butter melting on a slice of warm, homemade bread....Man, I'm getting hungry....

When a northern European country runs out of a staple like butter, you know things are getting dicey.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
theit own "fault" - they seperated their milk market from the rest of the EU and now they have a shortage...happens

but i must admit that their milk quality is waaaay better than the monopoly-milk in the rest of europe...for example in germany their are just 3 milk processing companys and they keep the prices unrealisticly low - so low that every 6-8 months the milk is cheaper than their costs to produce and the farmers are trashing it or feeding it to their own cows because it makes no sense for them to sell it (and is very brutal for them (they earn nothing/run into debts and work hard...besides the cows are extremly "overused" - [that sounds aweful and is awful])
edit on 13-12-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

From the article

Last Friday, customs officers stopped a Russian at the Norwegian-Swedish border and seized 90 kilos (198 pounds) of butter stashed in his car.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

From the article

Last Friday, customs officers stopped a Russian at the Norwegian-Swedish border and seized 90 kilos (198 pounds) of butter stashed in his car.

Well that's why they got caught, overkill. Small packages will get through customs most of the time. And why the Hell is BUTTER something that seems logical to seize?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Dunno.

I can think of at least a dozen things that are illegal to smuggle.

Um, butter is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay low on the list!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

Living in Germany, I'd have to agree.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
One may well ask why they don't just use margarine instead.

I don't use margarine because it is phony food, it is nothing but trans-fats and fake coloring. There is nothing like real butter for baking! Rich, crumbly butter cookies......real butter melting on a slice of warm, homemade bread....Man, I'm getting hungry....

When a northern European country runs out of a staple like butter, you know things are getting dicey.

Good question.

Unless margarine is off the table (so to speak).

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
And not one Norwegian has been smart enough to import butter from their neighbouring countries?

Seems that most Norwegians must be quite dumb then, sorry but this story has no merit what so ever, they could easily import the butter therefore if there is a shortage it has been a manufactured shortage

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrinceDreamer
And not one Norwegian has been smart enough to import butter from their neighbouring countries?

Seems that most Norwegians must be quite dumb then, sorry but this story has no merit what so ever, they could easily import the butter therefore if there is a shortage it has been a manufactured shortage

Okay.
Why?

Serious question, but why manufacture a shortage? Who benefits? (other than butter hoarders)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Sadly Norway is a country where everything is state controlled and thus have high import taxes to stop people from doing that.
The import restrictions is the reason we have butter shortage in first place.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Is milk that expensive too?

Why can't they just shake a jar of cow nectar for awhile? That's what DaddyBare would have suggested...I miss that member.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I know what im selling on E-bay this week.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Okay.
Why?

Serious question, but why manufacture a shortage? Who benefits? (other than butter hoarders)

Butter hoarders.

Ahh really its not funny a bit. Youre right, we could help out of we didnt fund our enemies.. or those who behave like enemies but still have that hand out around the world.
This article is dear to my heart because Im a butter and cheese snob. There are a lot of European butters I buy at an import shop and Ima get testy if I cant get this goat milk based butter I like.. its a herbed Danish butter made in Norway.
Anyway, they better hope the populace doesnt have to switch to margarine aka Butter flavored death.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
I know what im selling on E-bay this week.

Heh, folks beat ya to it.. check out the eBay prices for Red Feather canned butter.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Those of you who know me know that I like to dabble in the political side of things.

Just recently (on another thread) someone was extolling the virtues of Norway/the Netherlands as a perfect example of what society would be like if America adopted the same political structure.

I can't imagine what America would look like if butter got that high.

edit on 13-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Poor Norwegians they need to relax there import laws on butter at least for a while.

I just hope this isn't a foreshadowing of things to come...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join