It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What good is Compassion and Understanding for others??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Here’s one reason compassion and understanding for others can be a beneficial thing to have and give-

Basically, it’s no big deal if you want to judge harshly others for what they do- it’s not only Honey Badger that doesn’t give a #- they usually don’t either. Your judgement does nothing to them. Anyone can choose to disregard and attach no importance to the moral judgments and opinion of a stranger.

It does, however do something to YOU.

The simple advice, Judge not lest ye be judged has a sense to it. You too, shall be judged as harshly as you have judged, by your own inner conscience. The harsher that judgement is, the more it hurts to recieve, and the more you will have a tendancy to run and hide from it !

When you do the same thing they did, you will very likely go into denial and not acknowledge to yourself that you just did it. You might be totally unaware that you did.

This is where self contradicting and hypocritical behaviors, lack of integrity, often begins.

What’s more, many people close to you will be hesitant to point it out to you and help you see it. They've heard your judgement. They know your inner parent, (or "Super Ego"/conscience) is tough and brutal and is going to be really pissed when it finds out. It might lash out at them for saying it, or it might lash out on you for doing it. Especially when you care about someone, you don’t want to make them feel bad, make them bang their head against the wall in anger at themselves !

So you go about thinking you are different than those you are judging, with no awareness of your own hypocrisy, but everyone else very aware of it. And only people who don't care about you dare to speak out loud about the absence of "the empereurs new clothes" ..... and they are easy to disregard anyway. You end up fooling yourself, being blind to yourself, thinking you've made more progress towards that "ideal" than you actually have in reality.

If you are more gentle in your judgements, understand that others too, might be striving for the same kind of perfection or personal goals you strive to attain or be, but we sometimes # up. We slip. It doesn’t mean we’re bad people, it doesn’t necessarily mean there are evil and cruel intents underneath. We’re all trying to attain some tough moral ideals for being, and the road is not as simple or easy as we’d like to think. It can get crooked and confused, with all the different ideals we are striving for at the same time.

Having compassion and understanding for others can be good for YOU. It might result in you being more honest with yourself, and making more progress that way.

Ultimately, the way we treat others, is the way we treat ourselves, and being extra harsh in our self discipline doesn’t necessarily work. We are One on another level, and though we play the game of separation on the physical sphere, it helps to remember that!

edit on 13-12-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Text it’s not only Honey Badger that doesn’t give a #-

I love that clip

And that was a nice thing to read.

edit on 13-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
No to mention, humans are social animals. Compassion and understanding arise out of empathy, which is a vital ingredient to keeping some semblance of social order.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Conversely,

Forgiveness is NOT undertaken for the benefit of the one who receives forgiveness, it is done for the benefit of the one who forgives.

If a person goes through life holding grudges, bitter, consumed with feelings of resentment, it is they who reap the reward of their own attitude. It does not effect the persons who these feelings are directed toward.

So, one forgives others to allow their own Spirit room to grow.

These lessons are embarking on the meat of Spiritual maturity. Learn them well.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

This is a great topic. So much of our lives are now filtered through a screen that I think a lot of people have forgotten how to interact with others on anything more than a superficial level.

I think empathy, compassion, understanding, and (by extension) love are the most important things we can learn to feel and live while we exist as humans.

The highest compliment I've ever been paid: "You treat everyone as if they are your family members. If I or a family member were in a hospital, I would want you to be the nurse."

The reason I say this is the highest compliment I've ever been paid is because the person speaking was also a nurse, and was speaking about death and how people who are near death are treated. I realized, then, that I was making a difference in people's lives just by being myself, taking care of people as if they were people. It's a strange but wonderful thing to think about.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I read somewhere, the Kolbrin Bible I think, that it takes 10 times as much good to undo evil. So 10 acts of kindness to undo 1 act of evil, assuming the acts are of equal measure. Like 10 compliments to 1 insult. Saving 10 lives for one murder. I don't think this is to please god, but for our OWN good, like you say. It makes us happier better people. So I used to shoplifting a lot as a teen and young adult. Now when I go to the store, especially in the winter months, I try to buy $10-$50 worth of gloves, thermal socks, food, each month, and I go and hand it out to the homeless who hang out at the local park during the day. I don't think ill ever even break even if we are talking 10x the dollar amount I stole. But I'm hoping it doesn't count that way, since we get overcharged so much by the faceless corporations I stole from. And in a way, one act of good is 10x better than an evil act, because its putting you on a better path. And even when I did steal things, I was a robin hood of sorts. Not that it makes it ok... Anyway, I just wanted to point out how important it is to do as much good as possible and the least amount of evil as possible while we are here.

It's also important, I think, to go out and meet the people you are helping, get to know them. Rather than just donate some money to a charity. It's much more rewarding and changes you even more to want to do more good. And I hate it when people help and try to preach religion at the same time... Once at the park, some people from a church brought a good meal over for the homeless, and she made everyone wait to eat while she prayed, and I could tell she was just trying to pray as long as possible while these people starved, because she would pause, and then start again. Like she was really trying to drive home the point of her religion and that she was doing a big favor for them. Her religion states that she HAS to help the needy. It's not like she went out of her way and spent her money. It's money donated by church goers, and and its a REQUIREMENT for her to help the needy as a part of her religion. That's why I always say, its not religion that is so bad, its the people who don't follow it properly. Sure, she's helping, but for what reason? I think she just likes being known at church as the one who does so much for the homeless, and likes having that reputation. She takes the glory that should go to her god.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
So, I guess the Golden Rule to treat others the way you would want to be treated, means jack to the me generation?

Well in that case, next time you need a hand or help don't expect any.

edit on 13-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: it needed it

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
So, I guess the Golden Rule to treat others the way you would want to be treated, means jack to the me generation?

Well in that case, next time you need a hand or help don't expect any.

edit on 13-12-2011 by ADVISOR because: it needed it

I'm confused as to how you came to that conclusion based on what I said?

I can share my view on the Golden Rule though:

I do not believe this is a rule about what we should do, but rather describing what we DO. It is a description of how the human psyche works.
That is because what we want is not only a conscious thing, but subconscious. We often have subconscious desires and they influence our behavior.
In the cases of being extremely harsh in ones moral judgements, we often want to obey and follow our moral judgments ourself and expressing out loud what those are is part of our own disciplinary process, and in social encounters, recruits the aid of others in that endeavor. If they also adopt our moral values, they will help us see when we have trespassed them. This is part of the effectiveness of collective values and moral systems- those who share it, as a group, can be their brothers keeper. The peer pressure becomes a support to our effort in self discipline and integrity.
The subconscious desire to do that often influences our decision to share and express our moral values with others. In other words, subconsciously, we WANT that to bounce back and have others be just as judgemental with us as we have been with them.

What I mean to encourage is only putting some compassionate and realistic thought into whether the ideals and morals one has chosen to enforce upon others and themself are really that realistic, pragmatic, and easy to follow, and whether a harsh treatment is really effective in changing behaviors (for self or others). Sometimes, if it is too harsh, it only results in instinctive defense mechanisms and a strengthening of the behavior instead.

top topics

join