It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scent of flowers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I have been getting whiffs of flowers for no reason, there are no flowers in my home or in my neighborhood, and no special body soap or perfume. Sometimes I pick up the scent of my grandparents. They had a particular smell, like old dried up flowers. Like a potpourri of some sort, do you know what I mean? I heard about this and spirits, but I don't know if I believe in it or not. I just cannot justify an explanation for the smell. It only happens once and a while. There is no logical explanation.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostwithorangeeyes

You may be having a stroke.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I've actually had this same experience. I have no sense of smell (normally) which makes it very odd. I either smell flowers, or a real flowery perfume, or the other odd smell had been pipe tobacco. Funny thing is, I was with my boyfriend the one time and he had been thinking of his deceased grandfather a lot at the time, and when I smelled the pipe tobacco I went to ask, "Hey, did your grandfather smoke..." I didn't finish the line and the barometric damper banged on the boiler (we install them for a living, as his grandfather did, and their was no reason for it to do so). But when something like the smell happened again, if I mentioned who I thought it might be something else would make noise (like someone smacking the file cabinet in the room, or the washing machine that wasn't running.) I always found it interesting, like family drops in to check on us :-D

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I too have smelt a spirit. I was staying with relatives at their guest house in St Johns Isle, of Man.
The strong flower scent lasted a few minutes and was very calming, so much so, that I opted out of the conversation amongst the gathering of their friends just to sit back and enjoy it.

No-one entered or left the room whilst it happened. I mentioned it the following day and was told 'That's our ghost'.

I was told that the spirit was thought to be an old lady who had owned the house previously and who loved it so much she doesn't want to leave.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I have experienced this as well. It is a wonderful thing. Here's a post by a member on this subject which I found edifying:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Also, let me give you another interesting tidbit of information on roses. For years I did neurological and scientific studies on "paranormal" phenomena involving "ghosts" and "spirits." These were studies that were very quietly supported by government and academia all over the world. We used hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, oversight of many experts in their fields (electromagnetism, neurology, environmental science, astrophysics, etc...) along with very rigid scientific methodology. We had a very solid number of individuals who had recently lost a loved one in our studies. In the days following their loss, many of them reported the overwhelming and unusual smell of roses....even during the middle of winter.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What a nice find this thread is for me, personally. It reinforces in my mind that an experience I had when my daughter was born was real and not a dream. Over the years my husband and his parents have smelled that kind of sweet unexplained smell at times. But they never saw any ghosts. I finally smelled it twice. One time, I saw nothing, it merely filled the room my infant daughter and I were sharing and then it was gone. Another time I was asleep and the smell awakened me. I woke to see a woman standing by my daughter's crib that was next to my bed. She realized I saw her, so to my surprise she told me her name and said she had come to visit the baby. I had named my baby partly after her, for no reason other than when I used to look at this woman's photo, I got a feeling of peace and love from her image. The woman is my husband's paternal grandmother who died young, before she could finish raising up her younger children. Anyway I accepted her presence and averted my eyes to let the ghost have her visit unimpeded by me. Then when I looked back after the scent had faded, and I was fully awake, the apparition was gone. I was never quite sure if that had been real or one of those hallucinations we get when we are not quite awake but not fully asleep, either. Even though I was wide awake and the scent had faded, it was still there and I never could determine any normal rational cause. It was the sweetest most comforting floral, fruity scent I'd ever smelled. No perfume could rival it.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostwithorangeeyes
I have been getting whiffs of flowers for no reason, there are no flowers in my home or in my neighborhood, and no special body soap or perfume. Sometimes I pick up the scent of my grandparents. They had a particular smell, like old dried up flowers. Like a potpourri of some sort, do you know what I mean? I heard about this and spirits, but I don't know if I believe in it or not. I just cannot justify an explanation for the smell. It only happens once and a while. There is no logical explanation.

I don't have any credible references to back up my claims other than my memory but..

I recall a few ancient texts talking about certain spirits would make their presence known by certain flowers and their scents.

On a side note, my grandmother used to smell roses and see a little girl that apparently had died of scarlet fever in the house before they bought it which they learned after researching about it because they were curious after my grandmothers sightings; in that same house I was standing in one of the living rooms (it's a big house) looking out the window and I felt a very strong tug on my shirt with no one around me, I was quite freaked out. They named the ghost Rose because of the rose smell of course, I can't recall what the girls actual name was, I'll have to ask my grandmother if she remembers.

When I was younger in another house, I used to use a tape recorder unit to try and capture neat sounds and I'd just leave it on record in a room and then review the whole tape after, see if I caught any neat conversations from people in the house (spying) lol or "ghosts" which was just a kid using his imagination, I didn't really think I'd capture anything and to my surprise when I left it in the basement "rec-room" I recorded what I could only describe as a card game, I could hear voices and the flip of playing cards, even the clink of glasses occasionally and a strong smell of cigars permeated the air when I went to retrieve the tape recorder.

Neat experiences none-the-less, both of which had strong smells associated with them.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Or it could be any of the following :
bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com...

I have studied Neuroscience and can say that phantom smells should be looked at with a medical explanation first, but I am quite amazed when more than one person smell something at the same time as this suggests that there is something outside their bodies.
But often there is a medical reason.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

do you have a friend that crossed over [died ] who had a particular flower that they liked ,if so it may be that they are around you.it is their way of letting you know.
back in 1990 i lost a very dear friend her favorite flower was the rose ,along with the song and the movie by the same name .4 or 5 years later i awoke to the smell of roses all through out my bedroom ,there were no flowers in the house or any room deodorizers.and i heard her little laugh ,it was her way of saying good bye as she was finally ready to go home, what we call death or dieing.and the smell was over powering yet when i went out into the hallway there was no smell there it was only in my room.

i hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have also had this experience although instead of the smell of roses or other flowers, I smell the scent of my late mother's perfume. It has happened several times over the last few years since she passed away and always at times when I was going through a time of personal stress. It is amazing that whenever I smell that scent I instantly feel her presence and a deep feeling of comfort and peace. These experiences always occur when I am alone at home.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
: O I've heard of these types of incidents before. The scent of cigar smoke, perfume, and flowers are common among residual type hauntings. Although I can't say that it's restricted only to residual type 'spirits', they are quite common and will occur whether you are there or not. Did your grandparents (who also smell of flowers) live for a time in your house? Is there any other people that witnessed this first hand? (Like a house guest :O) Is there any other paranormal activity that might suggest that it is an intelligent entity and not the land playing back familiar sounds/smells? :O

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

I sometimes smell flowers too, and don't mind unless it is roses. Roses remind me of when I worked in a funeral home.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've smelled a flowery smell before at my friend's house. He got freaked out and said their previous tenant had a heart attack and in her rush to get aspirin from the medicine cabinet, dropped all of her perfume that smelled like flowers. My friend's mom played it off that houses can sometimes "trap" certain odors and randomly release them again. I'm not so sure about this, but it calmed us down a bit.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I hate to tell you this.... but the scent of flowers indicates a death. My mother in law past away this year & while my wife's sister was out shopping in a supermarket a few days after the death, a woman who she had never seen b4 approached her & said she could smell flowers on her & had there been a unexpected death in the family.

Of course there was....

Freaked her out - thats the only time i've heard that said & i was freaked out when i saw this thread.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news & i hope i'm wrong...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I've only had something like that happen once where it was a scent. My brother died in his early 20s and it was years later and on the day of what would have been his birthday. My husband and I were out walking around at this strip mall and I was thinking about my brother. Wishing I could wish him Happy Birthday and thinking about how we used to celebrate birthdays. And I picked up a strong scent in the air of birthday candles that had been blown out. You know that smell when you blow them out? I looked around and there was nothing to suggest that smell. We were out in open air and not passing any place that would have had anything like that. No one was outside smoking either. I can't remember if my husband at the time noticed it or not but I still remember that. I took it to mean he "got" my birthday wish for him.

There are people who when they are also having spiritual experiences will pick up a scent of flowers or roses. I've read accounts of roses associated with after death communications by relatives or when people work with spirit guides or when people are working with a Goddess. It can be a number of reasons why you might smell flowers. Can you remember what your thoughts were at the time it happened? Might be a clue.
edit on 15-12-2011 by LunaKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Phantom smells could be a sign of a serious health problem. I'm not saying that is what is going here, but you should probably see a doctor just in case.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Was glad to find this thread was almost considering starting my own thread on this topic because of an experience I had a couple of months ago and was curious.
It was late and I was feeling restless at home like I couldn't sleep or anything so I txtd a friend of mine and asked if he was keen for a walk which is something we useually do when we feel that way. Anyway so I was walking and started feeling real uneasy and as if something was watching or following me like the hairs on the back of my neck were standing up and everything you know what I mean. Then I got a wiff of a flowery perfumy kind of smell which I thought was starnge because the air was quite still that night and I turned around and this cat was following me, and this cat followed me right to the end of the street and the smell was still in the air then when I got to the end of the street the cat stopped, the smell went away and so did the feeling of being watched/followed. I told my friend about it when I saw him and he told me he heard that that sort of smell can be linked to paranormal stuff. Just curious to see what others think?

edit on 16-12-2011 by doodles40 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Thanks for your inputs. It is nice to know I am not alone.

The smell only was happening in one particular area of a room, that same room where I videotaped those tiny lights, which I presume were fruit flies that only showed up with IR. Nobody I know who has been here has died, I have only lived here for about 3 years. My cousin is in the hospital recovering from brain surgery after an aneurysm, but he has never been here, although his father helped me move here across the country to here. My last grandparent died in the early months of 2009, but there are no death anniversaries at this time, and they were never here. I have not smelled anything lately.

I certainly hope it is not a personal health-related issue! A sign of my impending doom? Oh my! I would hope that would stink, not smell like flowers.

Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The scent of flowers is one of the nicest things on this planet.

So is the sight of flowers growing.

Great gifts.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
My sister wakes up smelling cigarette smoke in the middle of the night sometimes. She'll search the house for something burning, but the smell stays in her bedroom. Her late mother in law smoked like a chimney! Over the Holidays a few of us sitting in the living room (in another house, not my sisters) kept smelling cigarette smoke, and no one there is a smoker!! Must've been her

top topics

<<   2 >>

join