It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Info on the Yellowstone Supervolcano, please.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Hi all, hope everyone's been having a good day/night/morning around the world.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some solid information about Yellowstone's supervolcano.

My main questions at the moment would be:

1. How many kilometers squared would be devastated (from ash, lava, or the like) if Yellowstone erupted.
2. What would be the maximum amount of magma that Yellowstone's magma-duct could hold.
3. What is the possibility that Yellowstone could erupt in our lifetime (say 70 years).
4. Will Yellowstone's future eruption be the largest eruption ever recorded.
5. Why is Yellowstone receiving so much attention from volcanologists at recent times.

I''ll be thankful for any information that anyone can give me, i feel that ATS is a good place to start gaining some "bedrock" for my project.
The information will be used in my next project comparing Yellowstone to one of the largest eruptions ever recorded.

Cheers,

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Please see humongo "Yellowstone" thread....

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The first most relevant authority on Yellowstone is the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. They have a vast website here:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

The second most relevant authority on Yellowstone is Robin Marks, who you will find around here under various pseudonyms in threads such as the big Yellowstone thread already mentioned here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

/cheap jab...

As to a comparison of eruption sizes, you won't have to look much further than this:
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thank you for the links you have provided it will make a great foundation for my initial research

Happy Xmas

new topics

top topics

join