It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there such a spike in aggression on this site lately?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I've been an on and off user of this site, usually 6 or so months between each activity period, and recently i've noticed a lot more aggression than in previous visits. In a way, i'm seeing lots of twitchy trigger fingers here. A comparison thread in the computer help forum is seeing this, with passive aggressive posts without going off topic. There is a thread i posted in the same forum, where the only person replying has started insults and swear words.

Just a thought.

The problem with my computer, however, has not been solved.
edit on 13-12-2011 by shiman because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-12-2011 by shiman because: Changed the title name.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shiman

I've noticed a lot more aggression, frustration and lack of tolerance in general towards others, offline that is in everyday life.

But online, I've noticed more and more people awakening to the fact that they are being screwed by corporations and government, which in turn provokes anger and contempt, understandably.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
hell ya! amen to that
tired of seeing boring ats topics
i wanna see, major earthquake kills millions in southern California!! amen to that!!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

You've got quite a point there. Its as if, though, these people release pent up anger and aggression in the wrong directions, blowing off steam at a whim instead of focusing it in a single direction.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

Im not exactly into the whole death of a million individual souls with potential to do great things.

You know.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Yes....

Rather see some wild action, rather, then my sister and her daughter kill each other. I'm so sick of it, I started video taping them. I think, I'll put on youtube, like brother keeps telling me. So, you can really see how crazy these two are.

I've had enough of the action...

Someone else could have it.

edit on 13-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
2012 ... it is all coming to end and the gravity of Niburu is sucking our brains out very slowly.

Confirmed by Stephen Hawkings.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by shiman

Not that I am a long time member but I too have noticed that there can be some people who are downright nasty. I thought this was a really big chatroom where people could exchange views, information and discuss a variety of situations.

It goes to show that people are feeling controlled and in a reverse psychological manner - try to control another person when they don't agree. Possibly it is a result of some people being wide awake, while others are just rousing and others are still very much asleep.

Given all the war and violence and physical abuse that surrounds us via the media and in the home if you are unlucky - it seems there are two human reactions - one is to become one with the violence and hate or two become the exact opposite.

Good idea for a thread and I will be interested to see who participates and their demeanour.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Just a suggestion, and I'm not even sure yet how much I like it, but would you consider U2Uing the people that you find to be well-mannered, or appropriate. After a connection is made you could steer each other to threads of interest, or discuss some issues privately.

My solution has been to just run away from threads that get weird, but I end up doing a lot of running that way.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shiman

Good thread on the subject: www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is a lot of frustration and anger in the world today. Also, we're coming up on a US presidential election year... People are feeling frantic and anxious. They want their guy to win...

I also think many of the people here who are good and courteous posters have left. I know I have left several times because of it. Some just leave for good. Also, a site like this will attract the lowest common denominator of people who are out there looking to pick a fight or demean someone else to make themselves feel better.

Also, this is a place where many different people from all over the world - with many different ways of communicating - have come together. There's going to be aggressive and nasty things said. If you think it breaks the Terms and Conditions of the site, report them... Otherwise, ignore it and move on. That's my advice.

It would be nice if we were all courteous and respectful to each other, but it's an individual CHOICE to be nasty or nice and each person is free to do so. We simply cannot control others.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I've noticed that phenomenon lately all over the net and in real life as well. Maybe they are the people who deal with their anger and frustration by finding someone to take it out on. I have a friend like that. I'm pretty empathic and hate arguing, so when he's spoiling for a fight, I'm very kind and suddenly busy with something else. Every time, he finds someone to scream and rage at, whether it's the kids, his dog, his brother or the way someone is driving. If he knew how to log on (joke...kind of), he might be writing nasty comments to people in forums. If he can't find someone to rage at, it just builds up until he explodes like a volcano at someone. It's not personal. Anyone or even a dog or horse will do. There must be something to blame....something to rage about to let the steam off. There is no regard at all for those who are attacked. They're called selfish if they ever bring up what happened. (Narcissism?)

It's very tiring and boring to be around someone who is acting like they're a 2 year old.....especially when they start projecting things on you and screaming about what never happened, what you never dreamed of thinking and refuse to calm down....

I wonder if it's because ANGER is the only acceptable emotion for males to get really passionate with unless they want to be called a variety of names and disregarded....seen as weak. People who are angry and annoyed are perceived as powerful and smart according to some recent psychological research. Perhaps anger is their only path of emotional expression. These types never really laugh or smile nor do they encourage others....it's 'top dog' behavior, if you know what I mean.

That real life friend is calmer lately....but everyone else decided to model his behavior...

What ever happened to manners, diplomacy and decorum?
We need a new meme for aggressive, nasty behavior and caustic commenting that will discourage anyone from so crudely expressing themselves with acidic comments and personally attacking others with such vehemence. There is no excuse for such ignorant behavior. We're more intelligent than that. Right?

edit on 13/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Well, I think the OP is a bit Bi-Threader

One minute, he's discussing the "end of the world", so we discuss the end of the world, and now he switched the topic to "anger issues with members". Wherever did that come from?

Least make up your mind please, because now we have like 2 different versions of what you were asking.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Sorry. Never mind...
edit on 12/13/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Manhater
One minute, he's discussing the "end of the world", so we discuss the end of the world, and now he switched the topic to "anger issues with members". Wherever did that come from?

Those are two different subjects. I don't understand your concern.

Do you have something to add to this thread that's ON topic?

Before it was on topic, now it's not.
That's all I was saying. Rather then switching topics, and changing his headline, he should make 2 threads. That's all. He's got me confused now.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Im sorry if i am being a bit nasty sometimes (or write it in a very confrontional way) but I going a bit nuts waiting for the hammer to fall. Im awake and it's like I can sense the change coming and I am feed up waiting for it. Im like an arrow aimed that is waiting for the target to hit. The fustration with the ones that are still sleeping is not fun either. Thank god for the awakeened ones that help me see that I am not the only one. Namaste

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Gentlemen and ladies,

I have been spending some time this morning on a thread that may be interesting to you. It is 2 1/2 pages long, so far. The discussion starts out a bit rocky, but once the misunderstandings were ironed out (a good lesson in itself) it became a thread free of hate, thoughtful and a bit inspiring. It may be one example of what you are looking for.

Please take the time to go through it and let me know what you think. Obviously, I'm a member too, and I think it is really worth your while.

With respect,
Charles1952
A reasoned, polite discussion on the future of America

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Im sorry, but i never suggested end of the world. What had happened was the original title was getting the wrong attention, so i changed the name for better clarity.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Just a thought - when a poster is being hammered by another person everyone has the free will to defend the person being attacked. I get the feeling that most thread writers and posters have been the victim of a bully on this site? If they have not taken a direct hit from the bully they have at least witnessed it?

Maybe everyone should remember they have the right to defend a person who is being assaulted. Verbal assault is just as punishable as physical assault as is slander. Dependent on what is being stated and putting it in writing for others to see is legally referred to as libel.

Maybe people should be reminded of their boundaries although psychopaths, sociopaths and narcissists have no boundaries and do not care who they hurt. I guess it is a big unpredictable mix and we all take our chances!

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shiman

Im sorry, but i never suggested end of the world. What had happened was the original title was getting the wrong attention, so i changed the name for better clarity.

Sorry, I forgot the original title. Knew it said something else though. Thxs Even so, it still got attention.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I'm sorry for the confusion. Sometimes i do a terrible job getting a thought out.

top topics

join