It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dazzling meteor shower on Wednesday!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This has got me a bit excited, apparently it will be available with the naked eye, on the eastern horizon, without any need for fancy equipment.

Startling streaks of multi-coloured Geminids meteor shower will brighten up the sky on Wednesday night enthralling astronomy enthusiasts. One of the most spectacular meteor showers, Geminids produce up to 60 shooting stars.

"Astro lovers are expected to see shooting stars whizzing past in the skies as the Geminid meteor showers will be seen on the night of December 14 and 15, Science Popularisation Association of Communicators and Educators (SPACE) president C B Devgun said. As the point of origin of the shower lies in the direction of the constellation of Gemini, they have been named Geminids.

The source of the meteor shower is not a comet but a rocky asteroid named 3200 Phaethon, which is in a highly elliptical 1.4 year orbit. The best time to view these multi-coloured bright, medium-speed meteors in the mesmerising night skies will be from 10.05pm to midnight in the eastern horizon tomorrow

Maybe i missed it, but the Article doesn't say if it is world wide, or just in a certain hemisphere.

Anyway, just a heads up for whomever is interested.

vvv

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Watch it be cloudy and we won't get to see a thing.

Thanks

I'll keep my eye out.

Got my telescope ready.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Moon's pretty big to make for a good show.
earthsky.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Does anybody know if we are able to see this in Australia and if so what time roughly should I be keeping an eye out.

Much appreciated.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WiZKiD111

Seems like it should be visible everywhere!!

Link

vvv

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

For anyone wanting to look, the meteors will be able to be seen tonight (Tuesday) also, peaking at around 11:59 - 12:00 the 14th and 15th (Wednesday and Thursday).

edit on 12/13/2011 by GoldenObserver because: Addition

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Watch it be cloudy and we won't get to see a thing.

Thanks

I'll keep my eye out.

Got my telescope ready.

Don't be so pesimistic Manhater....

If you expect clouds to be there obscuring your view then they probably will be.....

A bit of positive energy please and you will be fine..

Cheers

PDUK

ps - has everyone noticed how vibrant and clear the moon has been over the past 3 days.......... it is completely mesmerizing at the moment...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder OP.

My partner and I saw a nice Geminid by chance a couple of hours ago (about 9.30 PM here in the UK) when we had just got back from the shops and parked the car. We were still in our car seats, and saw it through the wind screen. It must have been at least -4 magnitude (a "fireball" which is defined as being at least the brightness of Venus), and pure white in color. It shot down towards the WNW horizon, covering perhaps 30 degrees of sky in a second before disappearing just above the rooftops across the road from us.

There is already an existing thread on this topic FYI:
Geminids meteor shower - December 2011

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The International Meteor Organization has a "live" Geminids 2011 activity profile that is showing the rate to already be around 55 per hour, and that rate is likely to continue to climb over the next few hours.

I was just out in the back garden, and saw 6 Geminids in around 10 minutes before some cloud rolled in. One of them was a very long -7 mag fireball that was pure white all the way till near the end, when it became slightly blue/green in color. Going out again for another look.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yuh HUH!!!!!!!!!! Sure enough

There are the clouds.. Let's see if it clears up by tonight.

What did I tell ya?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
Yuh HUH!!!!!!!!!! Sure enough

There are the clouds.. Let's see if it clears up by tonight.

What did I tell ya?

Call up Art Bell, and get some cloud busting going on!

all ya gotta do is find a nice patch of cozy grass, lay down and stare at a cloud, the while in your mind demanding that, by your will, it open a hole for you to see through. Don't stop demanding that the cloud do your will until it obeys...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
That's typical for meteor showers. Commonly known as "sod's law" over here in the UK.

In my case, we are just in the process of moving, so all my meteor observing kit is not here To top it all off, our location was right in the mid-point between two depressions last night, so we had beautifully clear and virtually cloud free skies last night.

Not to worry though, at 07h20m UT January 4 (about 2 weeks time) the Quadrantid meteor shower is due to peak, and the moon will be less of a problem than it was with the Geminids this year.

Next year in general will be a good year for meteor showers, with the best showers of the year free of interference from moonlight

new topics

top topics

join