It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post-Rock: More than Just Pretentious Song Names

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The thing I love about post-rock is that it takes you on a musical journey that few other genres offer, and it "frees your mind" (said by the great philosopher Morpheus), allowing you to delve deep into your mind and get lost in thought -- music for the thinking man as I say.

So let's come together and share the best that post-rock has to offer.

I'll start by sharing some of my favorite (and lesser known) acts, as any fan of post-rock would already know of the big guys (Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, etc), and if not, they will surely be mentioned in this thread by others.

On a final note, it's good to see my country (Australia) has a presence in the genre:

edit on 13-12-2011 by fallethix because: more info

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Let's not forget Godspeed You! Black Emperor

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I love Post-Rock!
Here:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
post-rock is great. aus has a great scene, especially in sydney and melbourne. there are some decent underground festivals in sydney in the warehouses in and around marrickville. if you can find em, they are a great night out. be prepared to deal with more drugs than an all night rave, though (and better drugs, if you want my opinion).

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktrip
post-rock is great. aus has a great scene, especially in sydney and melbourne. there are some decent underground festivals in sydney in the warehouses in and around marrickville. if you can find em, they are a great night out. be prepared to deal with more drugs than an all night rave, though (and better drugs, if you want my opinion).

Damn, I live in Brisbane which has turned into quite the #hole in recent years. I've never been to a post-rock gig, as I only got into it this year. Although, I am curious to know the atmosphere/vibe is like, as I can't picture anything other than weed "enhancing" the experience?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenObserver

I can go for Godspeed You Black Emperor if I'm in the right mood. F#A#(Infinity) is probably my favourite, but Yanqui UXO is pretty good as well. I'm also quite fond of Boards Of Canada, again depending on my mood. One I love but never see mentioned, though, is God Is An Astronaut. The End Of The Beginning is just generally a great album.

new topics

top topics

join