It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something wrong with the Sun or us planet Earths pos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I have just checked to suns position at sunrise with my compass and its 60 degrees off of where it should be I think. I have always thought the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Well as said its 60 degrees toward South, more than it should be If we work on 360 degrees 0 being True South, and 180 degrees being true North. The suns actual position 330 degrees where true East would be 270 degrees. What’s going on I am wondering. I was going to film the event, but the stupid Vid cam battery is flat, Bugger!!
edit on 13-12-2011 by outerlimits because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
1. Get a new compass

2. get a battery charger for cam

3. report back with video evidence of sun in wrong position.

4.Your latitude and longitude have everything to do with the suns direction. we are nearing the winter solstice so in your location the sun may not be where you expected.

5. What the &%#@ are you doing up so early??

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by outerlimits
I have always thought the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Not true except under very special circumstances.

All of your problems stem from this untrue fact.

If we work on 360 degrees 0 being True South, and 180 degrees being true North. The suns actual position 330 degrees where true East would be 270 degrees.

I dont know anyone who works this way. Normally its 0 for north, 90 for east, 180 for south.
But in any case I just checked the position of sunrise for Bulgaria on heavens-above and it is at 121 degrees.

That is further south than directly east. Not as far as you claim though.

edit on 13-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by outerlimits

I'm confused its different than last Dec? Or are you talking last June? Just making sure you are aware the sun does not set the same places all year...its roughly the same on the same day each year...If you mean its that much off from last dec yes please do get a vid or pic...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
as someone else said the sun does not always rise in the east, infact it very rarely rises in the east.

You can use suncalc to find the sunrise and sunset position relative to you.
30 degrees difference is nothing, let ATS know when it starts rising in West, that will be a time to see.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Tomorrow when the sun shines over my home...

I will go outside, grab my iphone...

use my fancy little app and check to see if its right or wrong...

then later on tomorrow sometime... I will post my discovery.

If it is off for you, its off for me and everyone else too...

I'm not hating at all and in fact i am intrigued by what you have brought to us...

I honestly think there is nothing odd about its position... but 2 minutes of my time will confirm this either way

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I just measured the sun's position in the sky. It's perfectly normal. I setup my telescope to view the sun and measure its position with astrometric precision. Of course, you can't see background stars with the sun in the same field of view, so to perform astrometry of the sun itself you let the earth's rotation do the work. I simply pointed the telescope at the setting sun (with a safe full-aperture solar filter attached, of course) and started recording video. I then disengaged the tracking system altogether and noted the time, so at this point the telescope was motionless and the sun started moving out of the field of view as the earth rotated. Then it was just a matter of waiting 2 hours and 15 minutes. I had disengaged the tracking at 4:01:00 PM eastern time, and this was the corresponding frame of the video, showing the limb of the sun that would later be used to determine its exact position:
i319.photobucket.com...
After the sun set enough that it was safe, I removed the solar filter and waited. At 6:16:44 PM eastern time, a series of fairly bright stars streaked into the field of view, producing this image:
i319.photobucket.com...
Directly merging the two images allows me to determine with exact precision whether or not the sun was where it should have been in the sky. Overlaying the merged image onto Stellarium set to the exact same points in time at my location shows definitively that the sun was exactly where it should have been.
www.4shared.com...
Here's the full 2+ hour video starting the moment I disengaged the tracking system at 4:01:00 PM eastern time:

At 1:32:54... something special happens

edit on 13-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

I have always thought the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Not true except under very special circumstances.

All of your problems stem from this untrue fact.

If we work on 360 degrees 0 being True South, and 180 degrees being true North. The suns actual position 330 degrees where true East would be 270 degrees.

I dont know anyone who works this way. Normally its 0 for north, 90 for east, 180 for south.
But in any case I just checked the position of sunrise for Bulgaria on heavens-above and it is at 121 degrees.

That is further south than directly east. Not as far as you claim though.

edit on 13-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

Yep your right, and I am Wrong, the cal I made are correct, but its what should happen. Never mind!!!

But as said it is about 60 degrees from true East, toward south Nothing wrong with my compass, !!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
As has been pointed out, the sun is in different positions throughout the year, during the winter months it is normal for the sun to be toward the south. This is due to the tilt of the earths axis, and is the reason that we experience winter during this time of year, and the southern hemisphere experiences summer during this time of year.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

OMG Chemtrailerz trying to block your view of the sun!!!1!!

This might be a redundant question...but why is the plane upside down? Did we have a pole shift?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Here's a good way to visualize the sun's path each day:

Each 'line' is the path of the sun each day, they are usually taken over a span of 5-6 months between solstices.

More info HERE

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Not entirely related but I´ve been noticing strange things regarding the sun / moon position.

If you divide the entire sky in 60 minutes, the sun and the moon would be within 20 minutes of each other, almost in the same kwadrant, this was towards the end of the afternoon.

The moon had a bite out of it from the Earth supposedly blocking the sun, but from that position it seemed impossible for the Earth to be between the sun and the moon.

Can anyone clear this up for me.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
From my location the sun is setting at 240°, same place it was last year at this time...but it does seem to be a few degrees lower on the horizon.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

OMG Chemtrailerz trying to block your view of the sun!!!1!!

This might be a redundant question...but why is the plane upside down? Did we have a pole shift?

The telescope inverts the view; for the images I measured with I re-inverted the picture.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

The phases of the moon are not caused by the earth blocking the sun. It's just a consequence of the geometry of the situation; you're seeing part of the moon's day side and part of its night side. It's really depressing to see the state of astronomy education. No wonder people think the skies look odd for one reason or another. What's worse though is that they don't even realize how ill informed they are, nor do they realize just how many amateur astronomers would be reporting it if it really were odd.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

The phases of the moon are not caused by the earth blocking the sun. It's just a consequence of the geometry of the situation; you're seeing part of the moon's day side and part of its night side.

That part would´ve sufficed.

I clearly asked for a clarification, obviously implying my lack of knowledge in the area, I merely asked a question, I didn´t make any crazy claims nor am I close minded towards your answer.

In other words, chill dude.

Besides, I swear that I learned way back that the moon´s phases were due to earth´s shadow. Never gave it much thought afterwards.

Lol, I guess it is a bit silly for me to learn this after 20 plus years of thinking another thing.

See this as a moment where you actually taught something to another person and forgive me my ignorance.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I apologize, I meant it as a more generalized lament. There's just a serious lack of proper astronomy education, and it's not a problem exclusive to any one country or group either (for example):
www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

OMG, well that made me feel a lot less ignorant. I can, without a doubt say, that i knew the answer to that one....

My mistake was pretty dumb but it does explain to me now why it never really made sense to me, wich is why I asked my question in the first place.

I usually know a hundred times more about space and stuff than most people I know. but I guess that´s not a real high standard.

Apollogy accepted, I appreciate it.

edit on 13-12-2011 by CaptainInstaban because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

The phases of the moon are not caused by the earth blocking the sun. It's just a consequence of the geometry of the situation; you're seeing part of the moon's day side and part of its night side. It's really depressing to see the state of astronomy education. No wonder people think the skies look odd for one reason or another. What's worse though is that they don't even realize how ill informed they are, nor do they realize just how many amateur astronomers would be reporting it if it really were odd.

Bah, you can blame grade school science class and it's erroneous teachings to most of the population... In fact, I believe a lot of the school textbooks are still outdated to this day.

Hell, I remember my science teacher telling us that the aurora borealis was caused by the sun's reflection off of the Arctic ice sheets.

For those of us that are science/astronomy geeks, we learn the ever-changing scientific truths as the years go by... but for the rest of the population, they don't take much interest in science and therefore don't keep up with it and thus rely on what they were taught back in the day.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Astronomy education you say, I say education in general but especially science subjects, just judging by the kind of questions that some people ask on here and BASIC scientific principles that just seem to baffle many on here.

It just goes to show how simple it is to use a pc,tablet or mobile etc to get on the net.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join