It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim women must show faces when taking citizenship oath

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Muslim women must show faces when taking citizenship oath

www.theglobeandmail.com< br />

A requirement for new Canadians to show their faces while taking the oath of citizenship puts the federal government on one side of a simmering debate over how far the state should go to accommodate minorities.

Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announced Monday that Muslim women who wear burkas or niqabs must remove the garments when they are becoming citizens.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
We'll soon see what the Islamic community says in regards to this; then we will see what the government position does and if it does change its policy. I think that people should show their face in instances such as this however it is my own personal view. I think it is the same as getting any form of government documentation. The article stated some experts say the move appears more political than practical. I disagree with those experts.

www.theglobeandmail.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It is absolutely a political move. Harper is a right-wing nutter.

That said, I don't disagree, but I think the person viewing their faces should be another woman. We can respect their religion and custom and be safe at the same time.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Far as I'm concerned, if it's a Canadian law, and they want to be Canadians then they should follow it.
If they want to bitch and complain, then they are free to go back to wherever they came from.

Foreigners are getting far more rights than TRUE Canadians these days. Going so far as to ban x-mas decorations and celebrations in some schools even.
Oh yeah, and speaking ENGLISH should be a prerequisite to become a Canadian too!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
It is absolutely a political move. Harper is a right-wing nutter.

That said, I don't disagree, but I think the person viewing their faces should be another woman. We can respect their religion and custom and be safe at the same time.

I suppose your solution to a problem many places are dealing with is a fair one. They don't get to thumb their nose at the society they want to become citizens of....but at the same time, their issues are respected to the extent possible. That works! If only our leaders could show such 'off the cuff' common sense when looking for solutions.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
There is no room for this crap in our country !! Burkas and hijabs should be outlawed completely !!! If they want to wear them at home or in their mosques fine , but wearing those things while driving or walking into a bank or whatever is dangerous not to mention how can you identify someone who vomits a crime with their face totally covered !!! Come on Canada WAKE-UP !!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

How often do you see a woman walking into a bank wearing a burqa? And what is the difference between a hijab and the head coverings worn by Hutterites? Or for that matter, what's difference between a hijab and a toque? They only cover the hair.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by rick004

How often do you see a woman walking into a bank wearing a burqa?

It's not women wearing a burka that you have to worry about. It's men diisguised in a burka that are the problem. As I was taught in Afghanistan...keep an eye on their feet. That will tell you if something is up. Of course...just eliminate the threat by making it illegal to wear in public. I'm on board with that.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
A head covering isn't like a ski mask.

Your face is how you interact.

There are almost 60 Shariah nations.

There are a handful of Enlightenment Governance nations.

If interacting with your new nation is something you find yourself incapable of, you have other options.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rick004
... how can you identify someone who vomits a crime with their face totally covered !!!

Thats what happened in Australia recently.
A woman wearing a burqa made a false accusation and then lied about it on a legal statutory declaration.
After being charged she pulled the argument "you couldnt see me, so how can you prove it was me who did it!!"

The largely male group chanted "Allah Akhbar" as they fanned out of the court

ninemsn

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bruwin

I will ask you the same question I asked the previous poster: how often do you see ANYONE walking into a bank, wearing a burqa? I live in a capital city and I have seen perhaps 5 women wearing burqas in my entire life. Much like the kerfluffle in France (where a law was enacted affecting a couple hundred people in the entire country), this is simple a political issue used by a government to rally the people to its side.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

If that's the case my wife and I should be able to walk into a mosque with a string bikini and me in a speedo ( weather permitting of coarse !)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The views stated so far, are views I agree with. If we are to have Canada as it is, then there should be no re-addressing this by the government. All Ideas I have seen posted are pretty sound especially the suggestion of have a woman view the burka-clad women.

edit on 12/12/11 by gardCanada because: characters deleted in typing...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

What? You ignored my question and came up with an example that has does not equate to the original one in any way.

I will ask again: How often do you see ANYONE walking into a bank, weaing a burqa?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yup. Must show the face. Covering of hair acceptable.
edit on 2011-12-12 by pikypiky because: To correct for typo-error.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I honestly can't say that I have , but the amount of immigrants that are flooding in it's time to put a stop to it before it gets out of hand ( actually I think were too late ) there's nothing in the quaran that says a Woman has to have her face totally covered . It's Muslim men with low self esteem and little education that would subject their partner to such abuse !! There's your answer !!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

If that's the case my wife and I should be able to walk into a mosque with a string bikini and me in a speedo ( weather permitting of coarse !)

We need pictures of you guys in those outfits in order to ascertain whether or not that could be considered an act of terrorism.

On topic:

Becoming a citizen of a foreign nation is a privilege, not a right. Show your face and follow the rules of the country you wish to be a part of or if it bothers you, don't and go home.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Would they be intoxicated by all the people looking at them and do something out of the norm and say that they were not used to having their face uncovered made them go crazy . As what happened with the group of girls that beat the crap out of a single white girl saying they were not used to alcohol ?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Me in a speedo = not a pretty sight !! Lol , but I would do it to prove a point

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
People immigrating to another nation don't get to dictate terms. End of story!

If there was something about a country that I had major moral problems with, I wouldn't migrate there... simple! So why do they migrate to our countries and cherry pick what they will and wont accept about our culture? The answer is straight forward. It's not to be one of us, the citizens... They couldn't give a damn about us. It's for our welfare, housing and healthcare... our tax payers dollars. Some of these people are parasitical... and once here is enough of them, they simply use our liberties against us. Some cultures are just not compatible with one another. Islam is not compatible with any other belief system. They should stay in the s***-holes they've created for themselves through Islam and sharia.

IRM
edit on 12/12/11 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join