It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passers-by in downtown Vancouver. Do they realize there's a live bear atop a truck? (No cruelty)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I love wildlife stories that do not involve cruelty and blatant human stupidity. And this is an unusual wildlife story to say the least.

In the heart of downtown Vancouver, last winter's Olympics city, a real live bear was seen walking and then sitting atop a municipal garbage truck while seemingly oblivious passers-by went about their business below, some munching on food. Well I'd say more but I don't want to spoil the story for you. The video is a must see. Click on the following link to watch the videos. Watch the 2nd video first. There is no sound track with the first one, but it too is interesting.

Enjoy!

Bear in Vancouver
edit on 12-12-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
They just end up in the most unusual places for them to be . Hospital food on the menu that day .

digitaljournal.com...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
That conservation officer was awesome! The way he went up there to make sure the bear didn't just fall... absolutely that bears' hero. Really risky business.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

small bear.. almost "cuddling" size..LOL

brave animal control officer,, yes,, but a braver, bear cub!!

edit on 12/12/11 by darrman because: spellenglish

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for adding your find. But isn't in the annual bear nap time? Shouldn't they be sleeping in a den somewhere?
edit on 12-12-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Indeed, if it were somewhere else like say..... Ohio .. they would have just unloaded their service weapons into it.

Luckily people in the NW, especially the Canadians know how to protect wildlife without injuring the animals. Cool story though.. all those people walking past without a clue.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by watchdog8110

n't
I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for adding your find. But isn't in the annual bear nap time? Shouldn't they be sleeping in a den somewhere?

They tend to do what ever they choose no matter what time of year , if the weather is real nice . Wandering down the river valley on the bow river or the elbow river . We are in their territory though .

Your welcome by the way .
edit on 12-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scalded Frog
That conservation officer was awesome! The way he went up there to make sure the bear didn't just fall... absolutely that bears' hero. Really risky business.

Thanks for sharing.

You got that right. That climb up the side of the truck, full of tension and risk. I loved it! Conservation officers are cool!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Nice to see they tranquilised it instead of filling it full of lead. I do wonder where Mom is though, seeing as this is just an 18 month old cub. I would hazard the unfortunate guess that something happened to Mama bear causing this cub to have to fend for itself.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Just dont let them accidentally wander into the US, they may be "mistaken" as Horses and lead to slaughter.

Good to know the bear was unharmed and that people are learning tolerance for the wildlife being forced to come into town for food.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Please tell me I'm not the only one that thought the arm on the trashcan was a giraffes neck!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Ha ha, cute, as spoken by a cuddly piglet in red rainboots. Although it sure didn't look all that small from the street view.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

I can't swear this is done everywhere, but I know they tag them and if they continue to go into cities, they are taken further afield. Ouch for the poor horses after the new meat laws.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I was under the impression that cubs start to leave mom around 18 months, so I wasn't concerned until you posted. I'm no expert, so please enlighten me on that?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Good God!

I gave up after that site started the second commercial!

I went and found it on YouTube instead.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

hehe, I'm no expert either, it was just a guess. A quick google shows you may well be right.

Orphaned cubs may be self-sufficient as early as 5½ months, even when handicapped by injury and when captured and released in an unfamiliar area. Both sexes seem to survive equally well. However, in Ontario, only 30% of cubs orphaned during spring survived.

Source

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Thanks for adding the video. It's my bedtime and I hadn't checked YT.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

You are hilarious! I have to admit though that I did wonder about it too.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You are hilarious!

We are supposed to DENY ignorance here!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I am just devastated about it, the spin is astronomical. It is like selling people on product X... they want it before they even know what it is. i am so sad.

top topics

join