It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Houston Protestors Covered With Tent To Possibly Hide Arrests

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AP-Chris

We have a crappy Governor and a lousy Major

I gave you a star for that and answering about the pvs and sparks.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
PVC connected protesters.

Heres the group in the video who are not connected with PVC.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
can anyone tell what the tent was actually for? i did balk at the part of the story where it mentioned sparks coming from the pvc but then i just thought they had metal pvc in texas. but then i wanted to know about pvc and found that the "pv" part means "polyvinyl" so obviously pvc is never metal and would never make sparks.

the very article to which farris beuller linked earlier in this thread has these two graphs:

At about 1:45, two groups of protesters - one numbering six and the other 12 - lay on the street, stopping traffic into a two-lane road that leads to the port entrance. Three trucks and four cars were halted before oncoming traffic was redirected to an alternate route.

HFD was called in to cut PVC pipes off of a group of protesters who used the devices to band their arms together. A large red tent was placed over the protesters to prevent sparks, said HPD spokesman John Cannon.

so the tent was, in fact, to prevent people from getting hurt by the sparks from cutting the pvc, according to the PD spokesman.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

I'm assuming they drilled holes in PVC pipe then wire tied themselves to it or chained/padlocked themselves to it. Either way no sparks. Bolt cutters/wire cutters would do just fine.

I don't see any point to it, accomplishes nothing.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Oh now that should keep them safe lol! they should have just used toilet paper rolls

Edit to add they should set them at no bail and keep them like that in the big house.
edit on 12-12-2011 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I never seen any saws for cutting the PVC. But PVC is poisonous when burned or melted from a power saw of any kind. Strange thing is unions want a PVC ban but use it to protest? I guess these guys were not union workers.

www.myhouseisyourhouse.org...

www.qubicaamf.com...

3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION (continued)
HAZARD CLASSIFICATION
Acute Effects:
Dust associated with the handling of PVC powder as well as fumes or vapors liberated from both PVC powder
and pellets at high temperatures may be irritating to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract if not adequately
ventilated.
Chronic Effects:
Chronic exposure to fumes and vapors from heated or thermally decomposed plastics may cause an asthma-like
syndrome due to the inhalation of process vapors or fumes. The onset of irritation maybe delayed for several
hours. Fumes or vapors may accumulate within the facility during normal operating procedures that involve
elevated temperatures. Exposure to these elevated concentrations, if not adequately ventilated, may have
significant health effects.
Carcinogenic:
IARC has determined that there is inadequate evidence of carcinogenicity of a polyvinyl chloride resin in both
animals and humans. The overall evaluation of polyvinyl chloride is Group 3, meaning that it is not classifiable
as a carcinogen (IARC Vol. 19, 1979). Polyvinyl chloride is not listed as a carcinogen by OSHA, NIOSH, NTP,
IARC or EPA.
Some pigments used to color PVC compounds may contain metals, which in some of their chemical forms are
suspected or confirmed carcinogens. These metals are bound in the crystalline structure of the pigment, and to
the best of the supplier’s knowledge, do not present a significant health risk. Additionally, the low levels of
pigments used in PVC pellet compounds are also bound in the polymer matrix and to the best of our knowledge
do not present a significant health risk.

edit on 13-12-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Probably not union workers. Not much unions in Texas. That's why companies like to do business here.

Of course they want to ban PVC, anyone can install it! I plumbed 120' from my well to my house in about an hour and half.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AP-Chris
PVC is plastic, cutting does not cause sparks.

Beat me to it. Wasn't this the reason for the tent though? So since PVC pipe doesn't give off sparks when cut what was the reason for the tent?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Sleeping dragon

A sleeping dragon is a maneuver used by protesters to cause disruption. It involves handcuffs and PVC pipe: a series of protesters are handcuffed together through the PVC pipe, which precludes police from simply using bolt cutters to break the handcuffs. Advanced variations include covering the PVC pipe with elements which might make it more difficult to break. Examples include chicken wire, tar, and duct tape. Another variation is filling the PVC pipe with concrete. Often the protesters will chain, lock, or otherwise secure themselves to immovable objects, resulting in a difficult-to-remove human obstacle.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Were they handcuffed together under the piping? I didn't see that anywhere. If so that would explain a lot. Like one poster pointed out..a set of bolt cutters would have been better. Using a saw would risk cutting one of the protesters I would think.

After watching the videos again with my ear buds in at full volume I still never hear a saw.

The only way we're going to know what went on inside that tent is for the people that were in it to come forward.
edit on 13-12-2011 by Simon_Boudreaux because: To add.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

Hey guys i was actually arrested at that action and joined so i could answer any questions and tell you what happened.
The fire department brought the tent to cover protestors who had used caribiners to hook themselves to bars secured in the pvc.
They ended up breaking the bars and not cutting into the pvc. The use of the tent and their excuse is bull and heres why...
Myself and five other people where lying further up the road with our arms linked, no pvc and the tent was used on us. Many cops covered their badge numbers. The tent was a scare tactic, no gassing and they arrested us without a fight

I've been meaning to join ever since i read the hidden hand interview and look forward to answering any questions
edit on 17-12-2011 by Deliciousvinyl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join