It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Blaming budget cuts, the Obama administration early next year will cut the number of National Guard troops patrolling the U.S.-Mexico border by at least half, according to a congressman who was briefed on the plan.
The National Guard said an announcement will be made by the White House “in the near future,” but Rep. Duncan Hunter, a California Republican who has learned of the plans, said slashing the deployment in half is the minimum number, and he said it will mean reshuffling the remaining troops along the nearly 2,000-mile border.
In California, that will mean going from 264 Guard troops down to just 14, he said.
08/18/10 08:59 PM ET
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger says the first of 224 National Guard troops have completed their training and are expected to be deployed to California's border with Mexico on Sept. 1.
Schwarzenegger made the announcement Wednesday in San Diego while visiting with the troops. Last month, the governor directed the National Guard to temporarily support federal efforts to secure the U.S.-Mexico border.
The move is in support of President Barack Obama's proposal to deploy 1,200 National Guard personnel along the southwest border of the U.S. The deployment will last up to one year in support of counter-narcotics and border security operations.
Agreed. He could also be trying to clear the way for more guns and drugs to be shipped across the border.
Less security : more CIA drugs coming in, more gangs, more violence, more excuses to crackdown on the second amendment and rights in general.