It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC's Frozen Planet Crew Fakes Polar Bear Scene In a Zoo

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

Wrong it borders on both Entertainment and factual programming. Wither or not they used a stuffed polar bear or a real polar bear, does not take away the fact that the Program me was remarkable. And it left open questions on the Global Warming issue.

I have a suspicion those whom complained, were annoyed that they actually showed how devastating Global warming has been to to the North Pole.

The BBC should have a section where the rest of us can complain about the 34 idiots who complained in the first place. And the News Papers are just as scummy as those who complained.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

with ofcom having no mandate over the bbc, i am wondering if the media presentation of this was an excercise in deflection. nice day to bury bad news. it would also be interesting how many people have complained to ofcom regarding press tv, if they left their names and political affiliations.
it is interesting to observe how important topics, especially political/global are played down and the trivial inflated. most if not all news media are culprits in some form.
f

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

The BBC still has to answer wither it is wrong or it is right to the Parliamentary Body. There they have to defend, and they did defend the footage yesterday which was on the News.

And they reiterated the reasoning as why they done the footage of the Polar Bear in the Zoo and not in the wild life which I agree with.

If they had filmed the Polar Bear in the wild.

The headlines would have read: Frozen Planet Camera Man Mauled to death.

Or BBC Nature team criticized over filming Polar Bear having cubs and Killing them.

Their dammed in they do and they are dammed if they dont

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Laurauk , regarding your reply to both JessopJessopJessop and myself , two points , I have the utmost respect for BBC wildlife programming and the department in Bristol , so no , I am not jealous of the prestige the BBC has around the world regarding wildlife productions and it's other productions non wildlife , that are bought around the world.
Second, your opinion in my case is wrong , regarding showing the ongoing effects of Global Warming , bring it on
I wish the BBC would cover the subject a hell of a lot more , both the economic world downturn and the climate / global warming are of equal paramount importance , they are kidding us on regarding the time factor , we have to try and address the problem [ VAST ] , I will not lecture you , I'm sure you could talk me under the table on the subject.
I resent 100% the use of license payer money to make programmes that fail to be transparent and truthfully inform the veiwer who has paid for the service , regardless if they choose to switch over to another channel.

The programme whilst being entertaining is above all a factual programme , you seem in awe of the programme , that is fine and dandy , but I tend to look at it from a pragmatic viewpoint , is the programme informing the viewer , is it transparent in it's overall factual content , Frozen Planet on this was not.

I expect the sort of shinanigans regarding the filming in a zoo setting , then passing it off as being in the Artic to be the stuff of a low grade cable channel , not accountable etc , the BBC has not for the first time been guilty of such deeds.

Barry Took , rest his soul , would have read a few letters of complaint on Points Of Veiw regarding this matter for sure.

On a lighter note,

Laurauk , you must be aware that your avatar [ if it being you ] resembles a certain female from Dr Who , if you don't see the funny side to this observation no worries as the Australians would say

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I don't understand the controversy about all this. Everyone with a functioning brain (and it seems some here don't have one) should realizing that entering a polar bear den to place a camera in the wild is a bit suicidal. It doesn't invalidate the excellent reporting of the series.

I have a suspicion those whom complained, were annoyed that they actually showed how devastating Global warming has been to to the North Pole.

This pretty much sums it up. You'd have to be an idiot not to cringe at the shown effects humanity has on our planet. The "there is no warming" crowd is delusional given how much the artic shrank over the past 20 years. Normally, a temperature hike like we've seen over the past 20-30 years historically took over 1,000 years. And given that the only changed "variable" is humanity, it's silly to claim we're not responsible for this.
edit on 14-12-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Droidinvoid

Second, your opinion in my case is wrong , regarding showing the ongoing effects of Global Warming , bring it on

Bring what on?

They clearly showed footage on Fozen Planet of the effects Global warming is having on certain areas they had visited 30 year ago and compared the footage to what they discovered at the same area, in the present day.

They The team of Frozen did not state this was as a result of Global Warming, they left that open to the viewers discression wither or not it is true. For the record I was not targeting you or JessopJessopJessop, with regards to attacking Their prestige over this footage, I wad referring to those who are jealous of this programme, and they way it has been produced to provoke thoughts in the viewer wither or not Global Warming is man made or not.

But instead attack presenters and try to discredit David Attenborough, goes beyond desperation in my opinion.

n a lighter note,

Laurauk , you must be aware that your avatar [ if it being you ] resembles a certain female from Dr Who , if you don't see the funny side to this observation no worries as the Australians would say

The Image is of the Dead President from BattleStar Galatica. Do not think she is Austrailian though. (P.s. I am younger than I look btw,)

A Question though, in Austrailia itself was there not a beach were a large sink whole opened up and the Beach sank into the ocean. And what about the Barrier reef has that not been damaged recently?

edit on 14-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I guess some people think it would be easy to get a camera into a real polar bear den. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. A representation of what happens in the den is good enough as far as I am concerned.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

don't get me wrong here, i have no issue with this situation other than being surprised at the reactions to the story. if anything it will make people think twice before approaching critters large and small with offspring, armed with a camera and fur hat.
i appreciate the information from the wildlife programmes and i can understand the difficulties in tracking and keeping tabs on the critters.
what i do find interesting is the feeling i am getting from others who feel they have been conned.
it's a pity really since the bigger issues of media manipulation on topics such as the middle east end up taking a back seat. case in point here if the link works...

globalresearch.ca...

i wonder if there will be equal if not more outrage at an issue that has direct/indirect consequences for the populus globally.
regards fakedirt

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

We are getting away from one fact.

I would understand if it was thousands upon thousands of complaints with regards to the problem with the footage in the program me.

But It was only 32 - 34 complaints out of how many who watched the whole series of Frozen Planet. I for one is buying the Whole series on DVD. This sensation has not made me loose faith in the BBC prestige over Nature filming etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

fair shout. at least there is an absence of political manipulation when it comes to wildlife documentaries. the news on the other hand, hmmm.
f

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Yes that is a different topic of discussion.

Lets not stray from the actual topic in here thank you.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Seems a lot of you would of been pissed at nature programs of old, I await the thread on them being mainly faked due to tech limitaions.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
reply to post by Laurauk

fair shout. at least there is an absence of political manipulation when it comes to wildlife documentaries. the news on the other hand, hmmm.
f

Im afraid you dont understand the bigger picture here. There is a massive amount of political manipulation when it comes to BBC programming there always has been. Its just that the wildlife series they produce try very hard to prove to us that they are above this kind of thing by showing us how they make each individual program.

If you’ve ever wondered why the BBC has been so biased towards the global warming movement, perhaps the UK Express has provided the answer. It appears that huge swathes of the BBC’s own massive pension fund is invested in companies “whose success depends on the theory [of AGW] being widely accepted.”

Source

"STRIKING parallels between the BBC’s coverage of the global warming debate and the activities of its pension fund can be revealed today.
The corporation is under investigation after being inundated with complaints that its editorial coverage of climate change is biased in favour of those who say it is a man-made phenomenon.
The £8billion pension fund is likely to come under close scrutiny over its commitment to promote a low-carbon economy while struggling to reverse an estimated £2billion deficit.

Source

The BBC has always been and remains a tool of propaganda for the government , thats why we are forced to pay for the service. But their man made global warming propaganda is really a subject for another thread.

Because they conveniently left out exactly how they got the polar bear shots at the end of that episode and hid the truth away on a small note on their website where they knew not many people would see it clearly shows they are not above trying to misrepresent parts of their shows. They dont just produce pretty pictures they present us with FACTS that most people just believe without a second thought because the programs are supposed to be credible..

Its going to take some time before the BBC wildlife series can regain any credibility after the polar bear scene.

edit on 14-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

I await the thread on them being mainly faked due to tech limitaions.

I await the thread on nature documentaries being shown on the History channel as we've hunted them out of existence or by various means destroyed their natural habitats.

How long till the only place people will be able to see or film a polar bear will be in a zoo?

Maybe people should spend as much time kicking up a stink about that as they are about this.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
in a zoo or in the wild does it really matter that much? they were still amazingly beautiful scenes to watch the only difference from nature is that the den was man-made.
i dont get how people can't realise that this would have been practically impossible to film in the wild. yes i know they didn't tell us it wasnt in the wild blah blah blah...

whats going to be the next thing people complain about??
i can see the headline now... 'Viewers furious after discovering Walking with Dinosaurs was CGI'

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

We are getting away from one fact.

I would understand if it was thousands upon thousands of complaints with regards to the problem with the footage in the program me.

But It was only 32 - 34 complaints out of how many who watched the whole series of Frozen Planet. I for one is buying the Whole series on DVD. This sensation has not made me loose faith in the BBC prestige over Nature filming etc.

it wouldnt suprise me if there's more complaints now, people\loosers with no life always seem to jump on the bandwagon when stuff like this happens. remember the Jeremy Clarkson 'truck-driver-prostitute-killing' joke, 7 complaints became 2000+ when it got in the news.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Wait a second, wasnt there an "issue" with the Gorillas, too?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Ahh ffs this is just stupid, so bloody what I don’t feel deceived, why do people constantly moan about things, the series was amazing, and very educational, how bloody hard would it be to video real cubs??? exactly! so shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I also want to add that I watched every series without fail and there the best things to come to the BBC in a long time , David is a legend, and if you watch the how they made it at the end, just look at their dedication to the job by the video crew.. grrrrr silly moaners .. and yes I know I’m moaning about the moaners but you have angered me

thank you..
Jay

edit on 14-12-2011 by ototheb85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by just1cornell0

There is a difference between the two. Jeremy Clarkson is a joke himself.

Where as the Frozen Planet program me is not.

See the comparisons ?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by just1cornell0

There is a difference between the two. Jeremy Clarkson is a joke himself.

Where as the Frozen Planet program me is not.

See the comparisons ?

Im in total agreement with you there Laurauk.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join