It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC's Frozen Planet Crew Fakes Polar Bear Scene In a Zoo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

BBC's Frozen Planet Crew Fakes Polar Bear Scene In a Zoo

gizmodo.com

Like all its documentaries, the BBC's Frozen Planet is fascinating and exquisitely filmed. Their crew has captured amazing things, including the creeping ice tornado. Unfortunately, they cheated on their viewers when they faked a crucial polar bear scene in a zoo.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
the article goes on to say:

The fourth episode of Frozen Planet—which took four years to film—follows the life of a polar bear in the Arctic. At one point, the camera follows a polar bear mother into the cave she just excavated deep into the ice. Then the camera moves into the cave, where viewers enjoyed the tender scenes of the mom and her cubs. Needless to say, everyone melted because of the cuteness overload.

The only problem is that the cave was fake. It wasn't in the Arctic. It was built with plywood and cement in a zoo in Germany. Nowhere during the scene the BBC warned the viewers of this fact. It was presented as is, misleading everyone into believing the crew actually filmed that scene in the Arctic, like every other scene.

BBC wildlife documentaries are some of the most respected in the world its very surprising that they would go to such lengths to deceive their viewers and ultimately harm their credibility.

If this is true then just what else have they been faking?

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

This is not the first time the BBC has "faked" locations....

Its like that show with Bear Grylls on Discovery - man verse wild. In one of his shows he is supposedly out in the middle of no where navigating some dangerous landscape. If he was injured all they would need to do is turn around and walk 500 feet to the highway running behind them.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Very deceptive, but wildlife documentaries have been faking things for a very long time. Most people are not aware of this. There was another post like yours a few months ago about bears being shipped in from a zoo to be filmed as they swim and play in a small lake.

Here's an article on Wildlife Filmmaker Reveals Nature Fakery There's a video in the link.

As executive producer of wildlife documentaries that include the titles "Wolves," "Dolphins," "Bears," and two films on tigers, Chris Palmer has spent more than 25 years helping to guide armchair adventurers through the wonders of nature. Palmer, who describes himself as an adventurer who has swam with whales and sharks, gotten up close and personal with Kodiak bears, camped among the wolves, and trudged through an Everglades swamp. But in his new book, Palmer, whose work has appeared on IMAX screens and on primetime television, points a finger at himself and other nature documentary filmmakers, shedding light on what he sees as a pervasive practice of faking nature. "Wildlife films, too many of them, involve deceptions, manipulations, misrepresentations, fraudulence, and the audience doesn't know,'' said Palmer, 63, in an interview with "Nightline's" John Donvan.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hey, everyone 'knows' the planet is dying because of man. It's not the scientists' or reporters' or film makers' fault they can't find any real evidence of it. Photoshop is close to reality, isn't it?

New bear species discovered: Ursus Bogus

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Hardly a conspiracy or criminal act, is it?

In all likelyhood they had filmed other sequences with Polar Bears in the artic that were building to this moment, but for whatever reason they were just unable to get the shots that they needed. Doing this is just a way of completing that story, even if it's a little cynical. I don't have a problem with it as long as it's a rare occurrence.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It's not deception. In the special features, at the end of their documentaries the BBC often shows how they set up studio shots of would be outdoor scenes. I remember one in particular from BBC Earth that showed how they constructed an entire forest floor indoors for a time-lapse sequence.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I don`t know why this is such a big deal , they had the information available on their website about this man made bear den so why on earth the papers have ran with this as front page news is silly its not a big expose ,we all know the bbc likes to manipulate what they show on their network anyone remember building 7 ?
Sir David is one of my all time Heroes i am sure he would have nothing to do with some thing that is faked or there is a very good reason why they had to shoot it here rather than in the wild maybe due to the fact its far to dangerous to get this close to a female bears cubs in their den .
Anyway they were trying to get across how a bear looks after her cubs and for me they did this ,in the wild and on location sometimes you just do not get these chances .

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

At the end of each episode they do spend 10-15 mins showing you how the program was filmed but according to the article there was no mention of them creating the fake bear cave at the end of that episode of frozen planet.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

This is not the first time the BBC has "faked" locations....

you can say that again... bbc seems to be right in on all the fakery:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I would rather they did this than invade a wild bear's den.

Non-story.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

That is seriously messed up! If they didn't get the footage, they should have gone with whatever they had. Honesty seems to be a dying virtue.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
British Film makers have always filmed in the studio... nothing new there

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
well come on people do you think a polar bear would eat the film crew if they tried to enter a polar bears cave in the wild

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

the article goes on to say:

The fourth episode of Frozen Planet—which took four years to film

I wonder if it really took four years to film. I'm guessing no.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
This is like the Jeremy Clarkson uproar after his comments on The One Show. It seems that people are jumping on the bandwagon to shoot down the BBC at any opportunity. Sir David Attenborough has given so much to making us all aware of nature and the amazing things that go on outside our bubble. To slag him off for this is unacceptable. Would people prefer they stuck cameras into a real den and risk the lives of the cubs? It made good TV and they WERE real polar bears, what's the problem?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

no cubs, bears or camerapersons were harmed during the filming of the documentary i am happy to know.starred you for that.
f

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
What did everyone think happened? Did everyone really think that when they get shots of Polar Bear with new baby bear it is from a cameraman dug into snow right next to it? A killer bear?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
How about the Caterpillar that takes 14 years to go through its cycles? Do you think they had a cameraman up there for 14 years filming it?

Im with you on this one Fiftyfifty, people seem intent on a bit of Beeb bashing.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I knew this would be on ATS and knew it would be spun by some as the BBC trying to pull wool over the eyes of its viewers, with regards to global warming. The scene had to be done in such a way as to avoid the mother killing the cubs or the film crew. They did actually point this out on the BBC so were not trying to keep it a secret.

Surely people who watch nature documentaries know that not all of it is possible to film in the wild.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join